Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    In your mind, sure. You don't know squat about what actually happened, but feel free to bloviate.
    A first for T’web I should think. Well done.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      In your mind, sure. You don't know squat about what actually happened, but feel free to bloviate.
      A first for T’web I should think. Well done.

BETTER to actually DO something about the poor than to bloviate on the internet...
      Originally posted by Jesse View Post
      ...I'm astounded by your lack of knowledge and laziness to even get yourself familiar with the topic you seem to readily bloviate on....
      I don't know --- some like him only bloviate and blog.
      Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      ...Otherwise, we run a significant flirtation that underwear with fish bagels will bloviate ...
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I haven't followed the news about him, so I'm not familiar with the all the details. But it's pretty terrible to fire someone two days before they retire. They're leaving anyways, so what exactly is the reason for doing so? Revenge, and to send a message, I suppose. I'm not a fan of that, except in the most extreme circumstances.

Trump also seems to be amassing a record for firing high-level staff in very uncharitable ways -- like them finding out they're fired on the news. The man has no class, and I regret that our political system is so broken that a cretin like him could rise to the top.
        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
          I haven't followed the news about him, so I'm not familiar with the all the details. But it's pretty terrible to fire someone two days before they retire. They're leaving anyways, so what exactly is the reason for doing so? Revenge, and to send a message, I suppose. I'm not a fan of that, except in the most extreme circumstances.

Trump also seems to be amassing a record for firing high-level staff in very uncharitable ways -- like them finding out they're fired on the news. The man has no class, and I regret that our political system is so broken that a cretin like him could rise to the top.
          Yeah, there's Trump and his lack of class, and I have no defense for that whatsoever, but a lot of us are really tired of the "biggies" who get away with abusing their office (if that's what happened) and "being allowed to resign" or retire.

If the guy did what they're claiming he did, he does not deserve to retire on the public dime.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I stand corrected.

"[Bloviate is closely associated with U.S. President Warren G. Harding, who used it frequently and who was known for long, windy speeches. H.L. Mencken said of him, "He writes the worst English that I have ever encountered. It reminds me of a string of wet sponges; it reminds me of tattered washing on the line; it reminds me of stale bean soup, of college yells, of dogs barking idiotically through endless nights. It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it. It drags itself out of the dark abysm of pish, and crawls insanely up the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and doodle. It is balder and dash."]"
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

It's very likely that McCabe broke the law and violated his oath. There are rumors that he will be indicted in the very near future. By denying him his pension, it effectively prevents taxpayers from footing the bill for his legal defense.

And I will admit deriving some satisfaction from seeing the strings of someone's golden parachute get cut for once. It doesn't happen as often as it should in my opinion.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

“When the full extent of your venality, moral turpitude, and political corruption becomes known, you will take your rightful place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history. You may scapegoat Andy McCabe, but you will not destroy America...America will triumph over you.” – John Brennan (former CIA director)

in reply to Trump tweet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  It's very likely that McCabe broke the law and violated his oath. There are rumors that he will be indicted in the very near future. By denying him his pension, it effectively prevents taxpayers from footing the bill for his legal defense.

And I will admit deriving some satisfaction from seeing the strings of someone's golden parachute get cut for once. It doesn't happen as often as it should in my opinion.
                  I'm not sure that a civil servant's pension counts as a "golden parachute".
                  "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Are they forgetting that it was Sessions' decision to fire McCabe in response to evidence uncovered by independent investigators working for the Justice Department?

Besides, Democrats and their ilk have been making those same impotent threats since Trump won the election.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'm not sure that a civil servant's pension counts as a "golden parachute".
                      I'm pretty sure it doesn't.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Agreed...
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Are they forgetting that it was Sessions' decision to fire McCabe in response to evidence uncovered by independent investigators working for the Justice Department?

Besides, Democrats and their ilk have been making those same impotent threats since Trump won the election.
                          Exactly what part of that internal investigation do you honestly think was independent? Let's be real, the President of the United States of America was trash talking him on Twitter and the White House even made negative remarks about him. So the investigators know the boss isn't happy with him, and they apparently could just barely wrap up the investigation before his retirement date? If his offenses were so clear cut, they'd have fired him long ago. Instead, they rushed to fire him before he retired.

I'm not even commenting on what McCabe is accused of, but let's not delude ourselves. There can be a TON of grey area in internal investigations...and when they're grey, guess who the investigators look to for guidance? Whoever's in charge, that's who.

Trump's fired an FBI director and a secretary of state, it's not like he'd hesitate 2nd-tier employee out.
                          Last edited by myth; 03-17-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            “When the full extent of your venality, moral turpitude, and political corruption becomes known, you will take your rightful place as a disgraced demagogue in the dustbin of history. You may scapegoat Andy McCabe, but you will not destroy America...America will triumph over you.” – John Brennan (former CIA director)

in reply to Trump tweet.
                            Yeah, sounds like a vindictive "you messed with the wrong $#@#@!^&!@" threat.

Comment

Exactly what part of that internal investigation do you honestly think was independent? Let's be real, the President of the United States of America was trash talking him on Twitter and the White House even made negative remarks about him. So the investigators know the boss isn't happy with him, and they apparently could just barely wrap up the investigation before his retirement date? If his offenses were so clear cut, they'd have fired him long ago. Instead, they rushed to fire him before he retired.

I'm not even commenting on what McCabe is accused of, but let's not delude ourselves. There can be a TON of grey area in internal investigations...and when they're grey, guess who the investigators look to for guidance? Whoever's in charge, that's who.

Trump's fired an FBI director and a secretary of state, it's not like he'd hesitate 2nd-tier employee out.
                              And the whole team of the previous POTUS appears to have been working to get their own candidate elected - that failed, and a real mell of a hess emerged. I don't trust ANY of them - from either party.

Comment

And the whole team of the previous POTUS appears to have been working to get their own candidate elected - that failed, and a real mell of a hess emerged. I don't trust ANY of them - from either party.
                                Oh, for sure. I'm just far too suspicious to believe that a high profile internal investigation in this political climate is "independent". Not at that level.

Comment