Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myth View Post
    Oh, for sure. I'm just far too suspicious to believe that a high profile internal investigation in this political climate is "independent". Not at that level.
    Understood - but it's interesting that a lot of this comes back to the Clinton email scandal - and I can't ever forget Comey laying out a perfect case for conviction, then announcing that no reasonable prosecutor would take the case - that wasn't even his job.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Looks like McCabe's statement could land Comey in hot water. The comes from CNN of all places:

“[T]his could easily spin further out of control. There was one line in McCabe’s statement last night that I immediately flagged. Because he said that he had authority to do this and he conferred with the director. The director at that time was James Comey. Now, the problem there is that James Comey said under oath that he never leaked information and never approved a leak. So, if the inspector general believes this was a leak to the media, it raises serious questions about Comey’s previous testimony and could get him into serious trouble.”
      http://www.breitbart.com/video/2018/...rious-trouble/
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Exactly what part of that internal investigation do you honestly think was independent? Let's be real, the President of the United States of America was trash talking him on Twitter and the White House even made negative remarks about him. So the investigators know the boss isn't happy with him, and they apparently could just barely wrap up the investigation before his retirement date? If his offenses were so clear cut, they'd have fired him long ago. Instead, they rushed to fire him before he retired.

I'm not even commenting on what McCabe is accused of, but let's not delude ourselves. There can be a TON of grey area in internal investigations...and when they're grey, guess who the investigators look to for guidance? Whoever's in charge, that's who.

Trump's fired an FBI director and a secretary of state, it's not like he'd hesitate 2nd-tier employee out.
        This is all coming from Sessions, not Trump. Sessions appointed an independent inspector general to investigate. We don't even know who that is, that's how intent Sessions is to keep this apolitical, because they are shielded from political pressure. We're talking about an Attorney General who doesn't even confer with the President. Everything is being done legally and above board. That's why the Swamp is starting to panic, because this, along with the Nunes investigation, has teeth.

Comment

This just in from the more-haste less-speed department.

Andrew McCabe was just offered a job by a congressman so he can get his full retirement. And it just might work.
          McCabe's team is confident that he had at least 20 years of law enforcement work under his belt — defined as carrying a weapon or supervising people who do — which made him eligible to retire on his 50th birthday on Sunday, with full retirement benefits.

With those 20 years, he would need to just go to work with the federal government for another day or so in any job he pleases, whether that's as a election security analyst for a Wisconsin congressman or a typist for a day, to get full benefits, said the former official who spoke to The Fix. The job doesn't matter so much as the fact that he's working within the federal government with the same retirement benefits until or after his 50th birthday.

McCabe was charged with not being forthcoming about leaking the FBI's disagreement with the Justice Department's decision to end the investigation of the Hillary Foundation to the WSJ.

I get the feeling that's not what's being reported in the right-wing propaganda press.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
            This just in from the more-haste less-speed department.

Andrew McCabe was just offered a job by a congressman so he can get his full retirement. And it just might work.
            McCabe's team is confident that he had at least 20 years of law enforcement work under his belt — defined as carrying a weapon or supervising people who do — which made him eligible to retire on his 50th birthday on Sunday, with full retirement benefits.

With those 20 years, he would need to just go to work with the federal government for another day or so in any job he pleases, whether that's as a election security analyst for a Wisconsin congressman or a typist for a day, to get full benefits, said the former official who spoke to The Fix. The job doesn't matter so much as the fact that he's working within the federal government with the same retirement benefits until or after his 50th birthday.

McCabe was charged with not being forthcoming about leaking the FBI's disagreement with the Justice Department's decision to end the investigation of the Hillary Foundation to the WSJ.

I get the feeling that's not what's being reported in the right-wing propaganda press.
            So, what does "not being forthcoming" mean to you? And this goes back to the whole Hillary email investigation thing.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              So, what does "not being forthcoming" mean to you?
              The FBI wanted to probe the Clinton Foundation. The Justice Department wanted it ended. McCabe authorized the press office to push back against claims it had bowed to Justice Department pressure, saying they would continue the investigation even if subpoenas couldn't be authorized.

He wasn't authorized to push back.

Nobody's claiming he lied. Apparently, they didn't ask, and he didn't volunteer it. That's "lacking candor," and it's a fireable offense in the FBI.

And this goes back to the whole Hillary email investigation thing.
              That's contrary to everything I've seen reported about the McCabe issue.

Comment

I'm not sure that a civil servant's pension counts as a "golden parachute".
                About 2 million?

Yeah, sounds like a vindictive "you messed with the wrong $#@#@!^&!@" threat.
                Sounds like swamp is rustled as planned!
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Yeah, sounds like a vindictive "you messed with the wrong $#@#@!^&!@" threat.
                  The swamp-dwellers don't like it when someone shines a light on their corruption.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
                    Among other things. Rumor is there's a sealed indictment with McCabe's name on it. Sessions' doesn't seem to be the vindictive type, so it's a good bet there's something in the IG's report that forced his hand at the 11th hour. Remember, McCabe was right in the middle of the FISA mess.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-17-2018, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Jonathan Turley opined that McCabe should be more concerned about prision than his pension.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

#McCabe didn't just lose his pension.

He lost his retired creds and ability to carry a firearm nationwide.

He's not even 50. In addition to about $3 million in lost pension and benefits, he's leaving millions more on the table with C level security jobs he now can't get.
                        https://twitter.com/johncardillo/sta...24765739118593
                        Trump is making public example of swamp creature, there should be more rejoicing!

Comment

I haven't followed the news about him, so I'm not familiar with the all the details. But it's pretty terrible to fire someone two days before they retire. They're leaving anyways, so what exactly is the reason for doing so? Revenge, and to send a message, I suppose. I'm not a fan of that, except in the most extreme circumstances.
                          Yes, it's pure vindictiveness and par for the course for this creature when he perceives himself being threatened. McCabe's written testimony, already in Mueller's hands, may well prove very interesting.

Trump also seems to be amassing a record for firing high-level staff in very uncharitable ways -- like them finding out they're fired on the news. The man has no class, and I regret that our political system is so broken that a cretin like him could rise to the top.
                          "No class" is an understatement. The man is a moral reprobate and liar and it says a lot about the Christian Right that they put him in power and continue to defend, him come what may.

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                          Trump is making public example of swamp creature, there should be more rejoicing!
                          So funny! Trump IS the swamp creature.
                          Last edited by Tassman; 03-18-2018, 05:10 AM.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            Yes, it's pure vindictiveness and par for the course for this creature when he perceives himself being threatened. McCabe's written testimony, already in Mueller's hands, may well prove very interesting.

"No class" is an understatement. The man is a moral reprobate and liar and it says a lot about the Christian Right that they put him in power and continue to defend, him come what may.

So funny! Trump IS the swamp creature.
                            Save some tears, Comey and McCabe aren't only swamp creatures Trump will take down. Progs will cry!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              This is all coming from Sessions, not Trump. Sessions appointed an independent inspector general to investigate. We don't even know who that is, that's how intent Sessions is to keep this apolitical, because they are shielded from political pressure. We're talking about an Attorney General who doesn't even confer with the President. Everything is being done legally and above board. That's why the Swamp is starting to panic, because this, along with the Nunes investigation, has teeth.
                              I'm disappointed you actually believe that this wasn't coming from Trump. Wake up, brother.
                              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Understood - but it's interesting that a lot of this comes back to the Clinton email scandal - and I can't ever forget Comey laying out a perfect case for conviction, then announcing that no reasonable prosecutor would take the case - that wasn't even his job.
                                Comey seemed to straddle the fence on that. On the one hand, he made that sort of decision and on the other hand, he was releasing information about it that damaged Clinton while the investigation was still under way. I'm not sure he should have done that, but I do understand that since the election was taking place he might have felt the public had a right to know.

Comey previously had a reputation for being quite willing to stand up for what he thought was right. I suspect that the decision not to charge Clinton was made above Comey, and he was merely instructed to be the front man (I should note, I have no real proof and it's really pure speculation). Remember the whole Bill and Loretta meeting on the airplane and how it 'wasn't planned'? When you play the game at that level, you don't make those kinds of 'mistakes'. That was a carefully coordinated meeting that they were hoping would fly under the radar.
                                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment