Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Your honor, I can prove that I'm innocent."
    "And what's your evidence?"
    "I have these memos that I wrote to myself in which I told myself that I'm innocent."
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      "I have these memos that I wrote to myself in which I told myself that I'm innocent."
      Or:

"I have these tweets that I wrote in which I told that I'm innocent."

Comment

Comment

You need to start citing sources.

Comment

Yes, let's ignore all the crimes he may have committed along the way.
            No - let's see evidence of crimes presented before a court of law before we convict. That is, after all, the American way.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Which means it's really far-left and questionably accurate.

To be fair, the first half of the article seemed reasonably accurate and unbiased. It's the second half where they started to engage in soft conspiracy theory peddling that they lost me (I love it when someone says, "We don't want to speculate, but..." and then they go straight into speculating), though to their credit they're not nearly as strident about it as other liberal sources.
              A very balanced evaluation, MM...
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

While it is dangerous to read too much into language choice - in my experience, when people insist on including "fair" in their description, it is usually because there is some question about whether it actually was. Most district attorneys, when announcing a public indictment, don't seem to need to insist the process was "fair." Yet Sessios seemed to feel a need to insist the review process, which was apparently substantially truncated to ensure a decision before McCabe's retirement date, was "fair."

Something does not smell right.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  While it is dangerous to read too much into language choice - in my experience, when people insist on including "fair" in their description, it is usually because there is some question about whether it actually was. Most district attorneys, when announcing a public indictment, don't seem to need to insist the process was "fair." Yet Sessios seemed to feel a need to insist the review process, which was apparently substantially truncated to ensure a decision before McCabe's retirement date, was "fair."

Almost word-for-word from the latest liberal talking points memo, that this was somehow "fast tracked". That's what McCabe's lawyer is insisting even though they've known that something was brewing for several weeks at least. How do you think both McCabe and his lawyer were able to release lengthy and detailed responses so quickly after Sessions took action? They weren't caught off guard like they want you to believe.

Source: Interesting Response Statement By McCabe Attorney Michael Bromwich…

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...hael-bromwich/

© Copyright Original Source

It's a classic "I was for it before I was against it" flip-flop. As Sundance put it, "The thing about advocating for the Sword of Damocles, is never knowing when you might be under it."
                  Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-18-2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

If you have got the time watch Carl Bernstein giving his analysis of the recent development with regard to Trump. I especially like his the part in which he points out that Trump is a demonstrable liar and thus we have no reason for trusting him with regard to what he says about a possible collusion. I also really like the part in which he points out that even if this is a witch hunt then handling those guilty of it will be much easier if the investigation is allowed to come to an end and is not shut down. Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGZTFEUYC24

Comment

This is the first real breakdown of the Meuller team I have seen. I have to admit that it gave me a bit of pause. The team does lean more Democrat than Republican, but then again the pool from which it is drawn also leans more Democrat than Republican. The donations don't bother me: the $57K donated by nine people is comparatively inconsequential, when you realize that $30K came from one person, and $12,000 from a second, meaning the other 7 donated an average of $2.1K. Those two people pass my personal comfort level, but the rest do not. I donate more than that and I have no question that I could look at the data objectively (why do I think THAT sentence will earn me an MM ?).

Mueller also has a reputation for immediately dismissing anyone who has any taint of letting their political/personal bias taint their work (or he did until he came under political attack for tacking on THIS particular assignment). But I do wish there were more people on this team that leaned right - if for no other reason than it would gut the negative optics.

That being said - Trump has argued that his almost completely white/male Cabinet, and his almost 100% refusal to have Democrats serving in his administration is because he "uses the best people for the job - rather than what 'politically correct' people say he should use." So why, I wonder, is the rule different for Mueller?
                      Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-18-2018, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        If you have got the time watch Carl Bernstein giving his analysis of the recent development with regard to Trump. I especially like his the part in which he points out that Trump is a demonstrable liar and thus we have no reason for trusting him with regard to what he says about a possible collusion. I also really like the part in which he points out that even if this is a witch hunt then handling those guilty of it will be much easier if the investigation is allowed to come to an end and is not shut down. Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGZTFEUYC24
                        That Trump is a liar is well documented - both by him and others. He defends the practice as an appropriate way to negotiate (i.e., throw up smoke, keep the other person off balance, etc.). See the most recent admission about Trudeau. In short, morality takes a back seat to "winning the negotiation." It's not the way I have ever done, or ever will do, business. And there are many other business people who seem to be able to be successful without resorting to such tactics. It is an indictment of our current president that he seems to feel this is justified and "right." It is an indictment of those who support him that they endorse such an approach.

Comment

Almost word-for-word from the latest liberal talking points memo, that this was somehow "fast tracked". That's what McCabe's lawyer is insisting even though they've known that something was brewing for several weeks at least. How do you think both McCabe and his lawyer were able to release lengthy and detailed responses so quickly after Sessions took action? They weren't caught off guard like they want you to believe.

Source: Interesting Response Statement By McCabe Attorney Michael Bromwich…

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...hael-bromwich/

© Copyright Original Source

It's a classic "I was for it before I was against it" flip-flop. As Sundance put it, "The thing about advocating for the Sword of Damocles, is never knowing when you might be under it."
                          I didn't read the "liberal talking points memo." I responded from my own observations and own responses. But if these memoes exist, and they reflect the same observation, maybe there's a reason for that? Basic psychology tells us that when someone says, "Honestly, I didn't do it," it's usually an indicator that they feel a need to convey a sense of "honesty." Usually, it is because they are not actually being honest....

Fair and balanced....

Comment

I didn't read the "liberal talking points memo."
                            The Lawfare blog you cited earlier went all in promoting this "fast-tracked firing" conspiracy theory, but they did with admirable subtly, which is likely why you didn't notice you were being sold a bill of goods. Analyzing reporting from the left is like trying to figure out a magician's secret: always look for what they don't want you to notice.

Comment

The Lawfare blog you cited earlier went all in promoting this "fast-tracked firing" conspiracy theory, but they did with admirable subtly, which is likely why you didn't notice you were being sold a bill of goods. Analyzing reporting from the left is like trying to figure out a magician's secret: always look for what they don't want you to notice.
                              I didn't just read this blog, MM. Unlike you, I read across the entire political spectrum - from Brietbart/Blaze to Mother Jones/Jezebel (though I spend far less time on the far right and left than I spend on the more centrist sites). I think I'm a bit better at seeing "talking points" (from right OR left) than you will probably ever concede.
                              Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-18-2018, 03:37 PM.

Comment

[...] Analyzing reporting from the left is like trying to figure out a magician's secret: always look for what they don't want you to notice.
                                The fact that you only apply this to the left explains quite a lot...

Comment