Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

50 million Facebook profiles harvested for firm linked to former Trump adviser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    As I understand the article I read this morning, the issue is not so much the information of those who took the test (which as you note had a clause in its agreement allowing this), but the information of their friends which was also shared. This isn't the first time Facebook has been the focus of investigation over giving away private information. That it was given to an organization working for Trump isn't really relevant; it's just another excuse for outrage.
    I wonder how much information was actually stolen from their friends? Usually the agreement you make is that they can get a list of your friends. If their software just trolls their friend's pages and gathers the publicly available info on their pages, then they are not violating anything. If they somehow stole the first person's credentials so they could see the private information on their friend's pages (what they shared with their friends) then that would be a problem and would pretty much constitute hacking or a breach by facebook itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I wonder how much information was actually stolen from their friends? Usually the agreement you make is that they can get a list of your friends. If their software just trolls their friend's pages and gathers the publicly available info on their pages, then they are not violating anything. If they somehow stole the first person's credentials so they could see the private information on their friend's pages (what they shared with their friends) then that would be a problem and would pretty much constitute hacking or a breach by facebook itself.
      Perhaps I misread, but I understood that nothing was stolen; FB sold them the data.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Perhaps I misread, but I understood that nothing was stolen; FB sold them the data.
        That's pretty much what I understand. This is nothing new. The Democrats and their allies at Google and Facebook have been doing this for some time. Nothing illegal about it

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          If their software just trolls their friend's pages and gathers the publicly available info on their pages, then they are not violating anything.
          Which is exactly what Facebook is saying, that the information was collected legitimately and through the proper channels.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Which is exactly what Facebook is saying, that the information was collected legitimately and through the proper channels.
            But the important part is about the further use of it by people connected to the Trump campaign. When it comes to that part, it gets a bit more muddy:

But in 2015, Facebook learned that Kogan had passed on that data to Cambridge Analytica, said Paul Grewal, a Facebook vice president and deputy general counsel, in a blog post late Friday. When Facebook found out, it demanded Cambridge Analytica and Kogan destroy the data. Facebook said it received certifications they had complied.

Now there are allegations that not all the data had been destroyed.
            And another important part:

In reaction to the controversy, Facebook's most senior executives have been trying to stress that Facebook was deceived. Kogan shouldn't have passed on the data, they said, and those involved shouldn't have lied about deleting all of it.
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

I found the article a but confusing. It seemed to go all over the place.

On one hand the article says they gathered the information from facebook, but misused it in a way not covered by facebook's rules. But then later on, it says,

Last month both Facebook and the CEO of Cambridge Analytica, Alexander Nix, told a parliamentary inquiry on fake news: that the company did not have or use private Facebook data.

Simon Milner, Facebook’s UK policy director, when asked if Cambridge Analytica had Facebook data, told MPs: “They may have lots of data but it will not be Facebook user data. It may be data about people who are on Facebook that they have gathered themselves, but it is not data that we have provided.”

Cambridge Analytica’s chief executive, Alexander Nix, told the inquiry: “We do not work with Facebook data and we do not have Facebook data.”

then it says:

Facebook denies that the harvesting of tens of millions of profiles by GSR and Cambridge Analytica was a data breach. It said in a statement that Kogan “gained access to this information in a legitimate way and through the proper channels” but “did not subsequently abide by our rules” because he passed the information on to third parties.

so it is not clear where the data came from or whether it was legally obtained, or not, or if it was legally obtained but illegally used, or what.
              Last edited by Sparko; 03-19-2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                But the important part is about the further use of it by people connected to the Trump campaign.
                Yes, Chuck, we've been over that: Facebook says that the information was legitimately collected. They just don't like how it was used. But they can't complain too loudly about it or they could inadvertently confess to breaking federal law with regard to data breaches, which they insist this wasn't a data breach, meaning that the manner in which the information was collected, and how it was used afterwards is all legit.

Here, Chuck, wanna take another run at the football?

52c813eba01927f66a80aa6791ef9ef9de0de1ff.gif

Comment

Yes, Chuck, we've been over that: Facebook says that the information was legitimately collected. They just don't like how it was used. But they can't complain too loudly about it or they could inadvertently confess to breaking federal law with regard to data breaches, which they insist this wasn't a data breach, meaning that the manner in which the information was collected, and how it was used afterwards is all legit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27000[/ATTACH]
                  I would like to see you support the "how it was used afterwards is all legit" claim. According to Facebook (and you generally seem to trust them) the situation was more like this: "In reaction to the controversy, Facebook's most senior executives have been trying to stress that Facebook was deceived." Is deceiving someone about the further use of data all legit?
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Well well well...

----------

Facebook representatives told Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign that they had been allowed to use the platform in ways that would have otherwise been prohibited, because Facebook was “on our side,” according to explosive claims from Obama’s former director for media analytics, Carol Davidsen.

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2018/0...t-masses-data/

Comment

Well well well...

----------

Facebook representatives told Barack Obama’s 2012 campaign that they had been allowed to use the platform in ways that would have otherwise been prohibited, because Facebook was “on our side,” according to explosive claims from Obama’s former director for media analytics, Carol Davidsen.

Back in 2013 on a show on some network called TV One, Mad Maxine Waters was boasting of how extensive Obama's database was proclaiming "The president has put in place an organization that contains the kind of database that no one has ever seen before in life. That’s going to be very, very powerful. That database will have information about everything on every individual in ways that it’s never been done before."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And according to Facebook, the information was gathered "in legitimate way and through the proper channels".

And just because it might have given Trump some small advantage in his epic defeat of Hillary, certain people are, of course, crying foul.
                        It’s much more than that isn’t it. “Cambridge Analytica boasts of dirty tricks to swing elections. Bosses tell undercover reporters how honey traps, spies and fake news can be used to help clients”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...raps-elections

And, as well, we know that Russia targeted the electorate via social media from the Troll Factory in St Petersburg and otherwise supported Trump's campaign by disparaging and targeting Hillary Clinton.

And yet you claim that the odious Trump won on his merits. He didn’t. He lied and cheated his way into office with a lot of help from his friends along with crucial support from the Christian Right. Gotta love those Christians, their moral credibility is an inspiration to us all. <sarcasm>
                        Last edited by Tassman; 03-20-2018, 04:48 AM.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Well well well...

----------

Oh Breitbart!

The Trump mouthpiece largely funded by the Mercers, who just happened to be the very people that paid for the scurrilous Cambridge Analytica dirty tricks against Hillary.
                          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                            Oh Breitbart!

The Trump mouthpiece largely funded by the Mercers, who just happened to be the very people that paid for the scurrilous Cambridge Analytica dirty tricks against Hillary.
                            Genetic fallacy. Try again.

Please demonstrate how the article in question is in error. Betcha can't.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27000[/ATTACH]
                              I wonder how you feel about supporting actions that not even Cambridge Analytica support any longer?

“In the view of the board, Mr Nix’s recent comments secretly recorded by Channel 4 and other allegations do not represent the values or operations of the firm and his suspension reflects the seriousness with which we view this violation.”
                              https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-alexander-nix

Are you still holdning on to the idea it was all legit?

Comment

A yet Facebook had zero problem with it when the Obama campaign did the exact same thing.

Comment