Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Uber self-driving car kills Arizona woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    There is a web site that has been set up to test what people think a self-driving car should do in various no win situations. You can play if you wish. Some of them are very difficult.

http://moralmachine.mit.edu/
    That was too depressing. I couldn't finish.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      LOL.

There are a lot of technical problems with regard to the creation of self-driving vehicles that the developers are working to overcome. Yet somehow you've managed to select something from completely left of field that isn't a problem at all and claim it's one of the biggest problems.

The only thing that seriously concerns me about self-driving cars is the possibility of a bad actor (foreign government, terrorist group etc) putting something nasty in the programming (e.g. via a virus or sabotage at the production facility) that at a specific time causes all self-driving cars in a country / world to try and kill everyone simultaneously by causing car crashes throughout the country/world. It's an unprecedented attack vector.
      What a moron. Of course the legal framework is going to be one of the biggest issues with driverless cars. The technical issues will be addressed but what a autonomous car does in various situations and who gets the blame will determine the useability of such vehicles. Who would want to drive a car knowing that your car would put other people's lives above it's own passengers for instance? But if the car protects it's own passengers at the expense of others, then who would want such a monstrosity on the road with them? And if a car does kill someone, who gets the blame? The car manufacturer? The programmer? The owner of the car? Nobody?

You watch, this issue will be the most important going forward.

Hacking will also be a problem as you point out. But the legality and moral choices the car makes will be the primary discussion about whether to let autonomous vehicles loose on the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Maybe Uber can finally solve the trolley problem.
        See the site I mentioned above, where you are presented with various such situations regarding driverless cars. Some of them are beyond what a driverless car would have actual information on regarding the pedestrians (like one where you are forced to decide between hitting a doctor and two women jaywalking and a criminal and two homeless persons crossing legally)

Comment

It's been solved already:

Doctor Evil when he was only 2.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            That was too depressing. I couldn't finish.
            Me either. I got to the one with the homeless people and the doctor and just stopped.

Comment

There is a web site that has been set up to test what people think a self-driving car should do in various no win situations. You can play if you wish. Some of them are very difficult.

Interesting. Apparently I prefer law-abiding criminals to risk-taking dogs.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Me either. I got to the one with the homeless people and the doctor and just stopped.
                I don't think I got that one.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Robots have their first human kill - it will only get worse from here...
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    I don't think I got that one.
                    there was a criminal and two homeless men crossing with the crosswalk signal, and there was a woman doctor and two other women crossing illegally. Your car's breaks fail, which set of people should the car run over?

Of course in reality the car would have no idea who was who.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Robots have their first human kill - it will only get worse from here...
                      18e09131354802b38feb0fc6a09bebaa.jpg Maximum-Overdrive-Poster.jpg

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27021[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]27022[/ATTACH]
                        Kronos is way earlier.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Kronos is way earlier.
                          But Kronos wasn't a self-driving vehicle.

Comment

Well obviously lots. But the fact of the matter is that humans make pretty terrible drivers - we have periods of inattention, can only look in one direction at once, don't always make perfect decisions - and car crashes are a major cause of death. Theoretically a well-created computer program could function pretty much flawlessly and reduce the road toll to zero or almost zero, and thus save many many lives.
                            Which is why there is so much attention on mitigating those problems with the humans - not outright replacing them.

How many pedestrians have been hit and killed by human drivers in the time since this incident I wonder?
                            So, let's just BAN CARS!!!!
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But Kronos wasn't a self-driving vehicle.
                              Seer's post mentioned nothing about self-driving vehicles.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Seer's post mentioned nothing about self-driving vehicles.
                                It was implied.

Comment