Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Beginning of the End of Gerrymandering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Yeah - unfortunately, on top of parties pulling at one another, racial and even gender issues are considered.

I think the solution is to eliminate congressional districts altogether. If a state has 14 seats, hold an election and the top 14 people take the 14 seats. Add term limits and we might actually have an end to gerrymandering and a return to political civility.
    Abso-freaking-lutely not.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Abso-freaking-lutely not.
      Why not?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        We already have several changes like that including chairperson and foreperson.

Anywho, oughten people be used over person?
        Oh my - you're right. We need to ditch person right away. I regret having offend the gender impaired.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Virtually every state has the problem -- and often both parties agree to manipulate the boundaries together. That's what happened in Georgia back in the 80s. There was one district which went down a river (but didn't include any of the land on either side) for a couple dozen miles until it reached another pocket of similar voters.
          Gerrymandering has, for most of its history, been used to protect existing seats for both sides of the aisle. Look at Illinois' congressional districts.

Comment

Yeah - unfortunately, on top of parties pulling at one another, racial and even gender issues are considered.

I think the solution is to eliminate congressional districts altogether. If a state has 14 seats, hold an election and the top 14 people take the 14 seats. Add term limits and we might actually have an end to gerrymandering and a return to political civility.
            I need some more input on this but with no time spent in consideration I find that this might be acceptable, at least in the short term.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              Can't use person, it has "son" in it which we all know is a patriarchal institution.

What do we change it to now though?

Comment

Ok...it took me a second...

Extending your suggestion, we need:
                • Personipulate
                • Personhole cover
                • Personna (think about it)
                • Ottoperson
                • Salapersonder
                • Nymphopersonia
                • Hupersons
                • Showpersonship
                • Monopersoniac
                • Personticores
                • Perpersonence

Too much fun...

P.S. I think that means that Trump suffers from megalopersonia
                "-son?" You male chauvinist.

The politically correct term is "people"
                Last edited by Sparko; 03-20-2018, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
                  Gerrymandering has, for most of its history, been used to protect existing seats for both sides of the aisle. Look at Illinois' congressional districts.
                  Yes - it has been. But "Operation Red Map" in 2010 took the practice to all new levels. Personally, I don't care WHICH side is doing it. Gerrymandering is the politicians choosing their voters. That's not the way it's supposed to be. It's one of the more unamerican things the political parties do. Maryland is as bad or worse than Pennsylvania - and needs to be addressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Comment

Can't use person, it has "son" in it which we all know is a patriarchal institution.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Oops... you also made the same observation... so...

Comment

Yeah but I already had a thread about it!

Comment

This is my formal request that the title of this thread be changed to "The Beginning of the End of Gerrypeopledering?". (if it's ok with carpe, of course)
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                                This is my formal request that the title of this thread be changed to "The Beginning of the End of Gerrypeopledering?". (if it's ok with carpe, of course)
                                I love it!

Mods - make it so - please! I don't think I can do it myself...

Comment