Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Beginning of the End of Gerrymandering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Beginning of the End of Gerrymandering?

Can we have some hope that this ruling and the actions of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania are the beginning of the end of this practice? Probably not, but we need similar work in Texas, Maryland, Illinois, Ohio, and Florida, to name a few.

I know - probably a naive hope - but one can always hope!
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Can we have some hope that this ruling and the actions of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania are the beginning of the end of this practice? Probably not, but we need similar work in Texas, Maryland, Illinois, Ohio, and Florida, to name a few.

Voting districts need to be WAY less subjective and manipulatable.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think the more inclusive term would be "gerrypersondering."
      I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Voting districts need to be WAY less subjective and manipulatable.
        Yeah - unfortunately, on top of parties pulling at one another, racial and even gender issues are considered.

I think the solution is to eliminate congressional districts altogether. If a state has 14 seats, hold an election and the top 14 people take the 14 seats. Add term limits and we might actually have an end to gerrymandering and a return to political civility.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
          I think the more inclusive term would be "gerrypersondering."
          Ok...it took me a second...

Extending your suggestion, we need:
          • Personipulate
          • Personhole cover
          • Personna (think about it)
          • Ottoperson
          • Salapersonder
          • Nymphopersonia
          • Hupersons
          • Showpersonship
          • Monopersoniac
          • Personticores
          • Perpersonence

Too much fun...

P.S. I think that means that Trump suffers from megalopersonia
          Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-19-2018, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Personipulate
            • Personhole cover
            • Ottoperson
            • Salapersonder
            • Nymphopersonia
            • Hupersons
            • Showpersonship
            • Monopersoniac
            • Personticores
            • Perpersonence

Too much fun...
            Man! I mean... Person! That's a LOT of renaming!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Man! I mean... Person! That's a LOT of renaming!
              I'm not sure...maybe it would be a lot of renosreping...

Figure THAT one out!

Comment

I'm not sure...maybe it would be a lot of renosreping...

Figure THAT one out!

Grilling steaks. I'll leave that for others to ponder.

Comment

Grilling steaks. I'll leave that for others to ponder.

Searched the entire smilies list for a big chicken.... no luck...

Comment

Searched the entire smilies list for a big chicken.... no luck...
                    il_340x270.682012521_rm46.jpg

Comment

• Personipulate
                      • Personhole cover
                      • Ottoperson
                      • Salapersonder
                      • Nymphopersonia
                      • Hupersons
                      • Showpersonship
                      • Monopersoniac
                      • Personticores
                      • Perpersonence

Too much fun...

Can't use person, it has "son" in it which we all know is a patriarchal institution.

What do we change it to now though?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        Can't use person, it has "son" in it which we all know is a patriarchal institution.

What do we change it to now though?
                        ‘He’ and ‘she’ are now ‘ze’ at Oxford

Zeers?

Comment

Virtually every state has the problem -- and often both parties agree to manipulate the boundaries together. That's what happened in Georgia back in the 80s. There was one district which went down a river (but didn't include any of the land on either side) for a couple dozen miles until it reached another pocket of similar voters.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah - unfortunately, on top of parties pulling at one another, racial and even gender issues are considered.

I think the solution is to eliminate congressional districts altogether. If a state has 14 seats, hold an election and the top 14 people take the 14 seats. Add term limits and we might actually have an end to gerrymandering and a return to political civility.
                            The point of districts is that all portions of a state get represented instead of the one or more big cities getting 12 or 13 seats leaving the scant remainder for the rest of the state.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Personipulate
                              • Personhole cover
                              • Ottoperson
                              • Salapersonder
                              • Nymphopersonia
                              • Hupersons
                              • Showpersonship
                              • Monopersoniac
                              • Personticores
                              • Perpersonence

Too much fun...

We already have several changes like that including chairperson and foreperson.

Anywho, oughten people be used over person?

Comment