Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How old was Jesus when . . .

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    My first comments were in reference to the possibility of a census/registration/oath of loyalty in 5 BC. If such a census exists, then Jesus was probably born at that time. I donít rule it out, but I was questioning whether itís correctly dated and whether it's applicable to the census mentioned by Luke.

My second comment pertains to Faberís thoughts that the lunar eclipse that took place shortly before Herodís death was the one in September of 5BC. Again, I donít rule it out, I just didnít think that the reference to Matthias gives it much if any support. That could still be the correct eclipse even if Josephus' reference to the one-day high-priesthood happened at some earlier festival. If he is correct, that would also support an early 5BC date for Jesusí birth.

Iím still proposing a 3BC birth, not because Iím convinced itís correct, just because it would fit well with what the early church fathers proposed (and they could have been wrong). To hold to a 3BC birth, I would have the burden of proof overturning the traditional dating of Herodís death in 4BC. I donít think Iíve met that burden, but it may at least be plausible.

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Luke wrote "about," ωσεί meaning approximately. And assuming He was 31 in 28 AD that would make Him to be 36 in 33 AD. (The 18th century proposed date for a Friday crucifixion).
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.