Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Marlon Bundo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    You can't have it both ways Carp, you said:

So going with the social trend is moral progress, but then you turned around and talked about you bucking the social trend, which by your own definition would make you morally backward.
    Umm... it's a relative framework, remember? Relativity? What is forward to one is backward to another? So...

...if I believe X is moral, you believe X is immoral, and society has moved to a majority position favoring X, then I and society will see society as "moving forward," and you will see society as "moving backwards."
    ...if I believe X is moral, and you and society both believe X is immoral and that position is gaining ground, then I will see society as "moving backwards" and you and society will see society as "moving forwards."

This seems fairly simple to me. I'm not sure why it is a source of confusion.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      And would you say that the conclusions come to us by reason are subjective or objective? I mean would you say that, regarding morals, there are good, or correct conclusions, as well as bad, or wrong conclusions, arrived at by reason?
      When I encounter someone who's apparent moral code differs from mine, there are three possibilities:

1) They do not value the same things I do. In that case, my path to convincing them is to show (if I can) how/why the thing I value is worth valuing. Example: using Seer's much-repeated "gassing the Jewish children," Hitler may have done this because he simply does not value life - or values it selectively. So I would have to convince him to value all human life equally.
      2) They value the same things I do, but have a flaw in their moral reasoning. Example: Hitler may value all life equally, but somehow has managed to convince himself that Jewish children are not human. Now my avenue is to show him how Jewish children are equally human.
      3) They value the same things I do and have the same moral code I do, but they are not living up to their own moral code. Example: Hitler may have, deep down, believed it was wrong to gas these people, but some negative personal experience, or some short-term gain was clouding his judgment and he was violating his own moral code. Now my avenue is to show him the disconnect between his own moral code and his actions.

I am never guaranteed to succeed. That is why, when all attempts to "convince" have been exhausted, individuals and society resort to a) ignoring the disconnect, b) isolation/separation, or c) open conflict.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

So one man likes wife rape, and another man doesn't. And there is no logical way to judge between the two opinions. You don't like pizza, I do (had it for supper as a matter of fact, nature's perfect food).
        I'll leave the pizza comment aside as irrelevant. And yes, there are logical ways to approach the moral discussion. They are not guaranteed to work because people are not always logical. I just summarized the approach for JimL. I'll let you use that as the model for this issue as well.

Meanwhile, I will note that your objection is still a variation on "subjective morality is not objective." Note that that sentence STILL does not say anything except to affirm the definition of subjective. It's a tautology - not an argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Umm... it's a relative framework, remember? Relativity? What is forward to one is backward to another? So...

...if I believe X is moral, you believe X is immoral, and society has moved to a majority position favoring X, then I and society will see society as "moving forward," and you will see society as "moving backwards."
          ...if I believe X is moral, and you and society both believe X is immoral and that position is gaining ground, then I will see society as "moving backwards" and you and society will see society as "moving forwards."

This seems fairly simple to me. I'm not sure why it is a source of confusion.
          So then Carp it it is not social trends that measure moral progress, it sill all comes back to your personal opinion. Social trends really make no difference at all. So one wonders why you even brought that up.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So then Carp it it is not social trends that measure moral progress, it sill all comes back to your personal opinion. Social trends really make no difference at all. So one wonders why you even brought that up.
            Because the individual is primary in moral decision making. It doesn't matter how many people think "X" is morally right, if I think it is morally wrong, for me it is morally wrong. The social moral code is the expression of the aggregate of the individuals in the community. It will have a feedback influence on the moral codes of some of its members, that is inevitable. But each individual derives their moral framework: me, you, Sparko, JimL, all of us.

And yes, morality is a matter of opinion. It just isn't the whimsical trivial kind of opinion you and other "objective" moralists like to paint it to be. That is what I refer to when I tell you that one of your "triad" of arguments is the "argument from ridicule/diminishment."

As for why it came up - I frankly don't remember what prompted that part of the discussion. There have been too many exchanges.

Comment

Because the individual is primary in moral decision making. It doesn't matter how many people think "X" is morally right, if I think it is morally wrong, for me it is morally wrong. The social moral code is the expression of the aggregate of the individuals in the community. It will have a feedback influence on the moral codes of some of its members, that is inevitable. But each individual derives their moral framework: me, you, Sparko, JimL, all of us.

And yes, morality is a matter of opinion. It just isn't the whimsical trivial kind of opinion you and other "objective" moralists like to paint it to be. That is what I refer to when I tell you that one of your "triad" of arguments is the "argument from ridicule/diminishment."

As for why it came up - I frankly don't remember what prompted that part of the discussion. There have been too many exchanges.
              Then your whole point about moral trends and progress was pretty much meaningless.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Then your whole point about moral trends and progress was pretty much meaningless.
                Sure, Seer. That's exactly what it means...

Comment

A book about "a day in the life of the VP" is "not political?" Exactly how is that even possible?
                  Substitute 'partisan'. And no, a book about what the VP does day to day isn't the same thing as a book making a point about an issue.

I can't think of an instance where King or Gandhi made their points by targeting the work of an opponent's kid.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    How political/apolitical was the original book? Has anyone actually read it who can weigh in on that subject? I've seen discussion on that here but it all looked like speculation rather than the result of reading it.
                    Amazon link to original book.

From article about original book:
                    In a statement to CNN, the publisher of Pence's book said, "It's unfortunate that anyone would feel the need to ridicule an educational children's book and turn it into something controversial and partisan."

Source
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Umm... the job is a political job. How could a book about a political job NOT be political...?
                      Perhaps "not partisan" would have been more to your liking?
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                        Perhaps "not partisan" would have been more to your liking?
                        First, there is a huge difference between "political" and "partisan."

Second, I'm not sure the degree to which it would have been seen as "partisan." I haven't read it. I've only seen some descriptions and it sounds innocuous enough. Given that Charlotte wrote the book and Charlotte bought one of the Oliver books, I suspect "not too much."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Substitute 'partisan'. And no, a book about what the VP does day to day isn't the same thing as a book making a point about an issue.
                          Agreed.

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          I can't think of an instance where King or Gandhi made their points by targeting the work of an opponent's kid.
                          His 24-year old "kid" is a young adult doing something good (a children's book with proceeds going to charity. Oliver & Co. took the opportunity to make a statement about something I consider equally good, and are also donating the proceeds to charity. Although the book is about Marlon Bundo, the parody is about Pence. It is one I happen to agree with. It is also (apparently) a well-written children's book (Oliver had it partly read/animated on his show). I am in support.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Why not?

Source: Can We Be Good Without God?

If there is no God, then any ground for regarding the herd morality evolved by homo sapiens as objectively true seems to have been removed. After all, what is so special about human beings? They are just accidental by-products of nature which have evolved relatively recently on an infinitesimal speck of dust lost somewhere in a hostile and mindless universe and which are doomed to perish individually and collectively in a relatively short time. Some action, say, incest, may not be biologically or socially advantageous and so in the course of human evolution has become taboo; but there is on the atheistic view nothing really wrong about committing incest. If, as Kurtz states, “The moral principles that govern our behavior are rooted in habit and custom, feeling and fashion,” then the non-conformist who chooses to flout the herd morality is doing nothing more serious than acting unfashionably.

https://www.reasonablefaith.org/writ...d-without-god/

© Copyright Original Source

Can God Be Good Without Us?

And if there is a God (which I am yet to see you prove) it seems to follow that since human beings do not have value in and of themselves their value is based on the fact that God loves them and if he did not then torturing babies, killing and so on would be ok. Just like a lot of Christians find Hell to be just, because they don't care for humans but for what what God says. We find ourselves among the roots of religious extremism in this case only with the difference that luckily and by sheer accident, Christians do not go as far as ISIL or other with the same basic assumptions about God's role in moral philosophy (if you can even call it philosophy).
                            Last edited by Charles; 03-24-2018, 08:10 AM.
                            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                              Kosher, halal, meat-on-Friday, vegetarianism, veganism, kapu, uncleanness, restrictions on consumption of beef, pork, cat, seafood, chewing-gum, ...
                              You forgot whales and dolphins, endangered species, and Paleo-diets...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

As you wish, Sparko...

You are very quick to tell me what my thoughts and motives are. You're usually way off the mark - but I'm sure you don't believe that is true, so...
                                You attacked the analogy instead of addressing the issue - it's a common tactic for you when you don't like the implications or where the argument may lead. Deflection really doesn't fool anyone, especially if it becomes habitual.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment