Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

School-Aged Immaturity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I don't think "all" is accurate - but that's because I tend to be wary of superlatives (one of the many reasons I find Mr. Trump so abysmal). There are a lot of politicians who do not function this way. Grandstanding is not an issue for me, because it is pretty much what a politician needs to do (in one way or another) to get the attention of the electorate and get/keep office. To expect a politician to do otherwise is doesn't make much sense to me. But not all politicians are mistreating women or insulting one another.

I also think my OP was pretty clear that I found Biden's behavior as reprehensible as Trump's. Frankly, the only way I would vote for him is if he is the only option to Trump. I would not vote for him in the primaries.
    Both parties need fresh blood. And people who actually CARE about the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Both parties need fresh blood. And people who actually CARE about the country.
      On that we agree. Term limits, torte reform, and getting big money out of politics would be high on my list of things that need to be fixed. But that would require us to set aside our partisan bickering, and actually make those things a requirement to obtain our vote.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        On that we agree. Term limits, torte reform, and getting big money out of politics would be high on my list of things that need to be fixed. But that would require us to set aside our partisan bickering, and actually make those things a requirement to obtain our vote.
        I think term limits would go a long way toward the 'money in politics problem' - I think there would be less ROI if the guy you were buying into office wasn't going to be able to get very entrenched.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I think term limits would go a long way toward the 'money in politics problem' - I think there would be less ROI if the guy you were buying into office wasn't going to be able to get very entrenched.
          Generally it costs more to get someone in your pocket than it does to keep them there and term limits might even foster a "get while the gettin's good" mentality among some.

Just two of the potential unintended consequences that term limits might bring

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Generally it costs more to get someone in your pocket than it does to keep them there and term limits might even foster a "get while the gettin's good" mentality among some.

Just two of the potential unintended consequences that term limits might bring
            Yeah, but it might discourage somebody who planned to make a living out of camping out in DC (or wherever) - exactly because it costs so much up front - they expect to recoup that over the long haul.

"citizen legislators" - that's what we need - they have to come back home and live under the mess they created.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              Name calling, ridicule, and mud slinging.
              I dunno, this one seemed to be rather on target.
              Y'all can't seem to help yourselves.

I'm sure you mean well.
              Y'all can't seem to help only calling out one side.

I'm sure you mean well.

I agree that posters shouldn't stoop to ridicule, Jesse, but the double standard and condescension you evince here is a bit much.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Yeah, but it might discourage somebody who planned to make a living out of camping out in DC (or wherever) - exactly because it costs so much up front - they expect to recoup that over the long haul.

"citizen legislators" - that's what we need - they have to come back home and live under the mess they created.
                Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus, who was made dictator and stepped down on the very day it was no longer essential for him to remain.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus, who was made dictator and stepped down on the very day it was no longer essential for him to remain.
                  After whom the city of Cincinnati was named.

(or not)

Comment

After whom the city of Cincinnati was named.

(or not)
                    Oh. Huh. I thought it was this guy...

320x240.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      This thread is seriously going to earn you name calling, ridicule, and mud slinging that does along with it.
                      Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Shunybunny, is that mean Mr. Trump triggering you again? Time to go to your safe space...
                      Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I dunno, this one seemed to be rather on target.
                      Shuny's post was spot on. Even if he missed who the target would be, he accurately predicted exactly what happened.

"Shunybunny" is name calling and ridicule, and "Shuny, you're acting just as immature as the clowns being mocked!" is mudslinging.

Y'all can't seem to help only calling out one side.

I'm sure you mean well.
                      Nonsense. And, if you don't mind, if you're going to use my witticisms, they need to be matched with my discernment.

I agree that posters shouldn't stoop to ridicule, Jesse, but the double standard and condescension you evince here is a bit much.
                      Everyone has the right to their own opinion.

To Sparko.

To MM.

To demi.

To demi, again.

To Charles.

To carpe and MM.

No one has the right to their own facts.

Comment

How blessed we are to have lao, the self-anointed arbitrator of what is true

Comment

"Shuny, you're acting just as immature as the clowns being mocked!" is mudslinging.
                          In that particular case, you're showing a marked lack of discernment. If anything, it was inaccurate because shunya was acting rather more immature than what he was responding to. More discernment, please.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Everyone has the right to their own opinion.

To Sparko.

To MM.

To demi.

To demi, again.

To Charles.

To carpe and MM.

No one has the right to their own facts.

Comment

..."Shuny, you're acting just as immature as the clowns being mocked!" is mudslinging.....
                              Actually, Shuny had taken to calling Trump names, like tRump.... I was simply calling him out on his hypocrisy.

I forgot to add that tRump...
                              Yes, tRump is terribly unpleasant...
                              Back to the subject of the thread concerning tRump's lies...
                              I forgot to add that tRump previously signed a paper...
                              Probably the biggest lie in tRump's life is...
                              If that's not childish "school-aged immaturity", what is?

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                In that particular case, you're showing a marked lack of discernment. If anything, it was inaccurate because shunya was acting rather more immature than what he was responding to. More discernment, please.
                                That particular case is the second post in this thread:

This thread is seriously going to earn you name calling, ridicule, and mud slinging that does along with it.
                                There are three accusations in there, all of which were immediately justified in responses that amounted to a dogpile, one that included a staff member.

I can't help thinking that's why you're having trouble seeing this.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe one of Shuny's responses was more immature than say, a crying baby:

How does that make his accusations inaccurate or untrue.

Comment