Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In all your ways know him?

Faith
    Ultramontane Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Well, there are imperatives, and thus they are commands.

I agree that this quote shows acknowledgement to be a depth of knowing him, I am only concerned that acknowledgement may mean to the reader a mere hat-tip, if all they have is this English word to go by.

Thus it seems more appropriate to translate "know him", and make it clear what is meant...

Blessings,
    Lee
    IMHO, “acknowledge” comes across as more emphatic than “know”. STM either rendering is perfectly adequate. The problem is caused by the character of language and meaning as socially-influenced constructs. If one has to err at all, it may less bad to err by under-translation, than by over-translation.

Faith
    Ultramontane Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    I'm thinking it's the difference between "if the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that" (James 4:15) and walking with God through our various situations, relating to him, getting to know him.

I found some evidence for "get to know him" in the Septuagint, "πάσαις ὁδοῖς σου γνώριζε αὐτήν" is the rendering, "know her", oddly enough, probably referring to "wisdom" in the previous verse, but still the verb "to know".

Blessings,
    Lee
    Maybe, by the time that the Greek translation of the passage was made, Wisdom had developed from being an hypostatised Divine attribute to being a personified and individualised Divine attribute, so that, to know Wisdom, was to know God.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
    IMHO, “acknowledge” comes across as more emphatic than “know”. STM either rendering is perfectly adequate. The problem is caused by the character of language and meaning as socially-influenced constructs. If one has to err at all, it may less bad to err by under-translation, than by over-translation.
    Found another quote:

Source: Bible Knowledge Commentary

As a person trusts in the Lord and acknowledges Him (this is not a nod of recognition but an intimate knowledge of God) in all his ways…

© Copyright Original Source

So I would argue for "know him" here, this would seem to show best "an intimate knowledge of God", and would not seem to be over-translating.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)