Announcement

Collapse

Ecclesiology 201 Guidelines

Discussion on matters of general mainstream Christian churches. What are the differences between Catholics and protestants? How has the charismatic movement affected the church? Are Southern baptists different from fundamentalist baptists? It is also for discussions about the nature of the church.

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and theists. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions. Additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

House churches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It is true that house churches may not be as easily found by the casual seeker... but is this how people come to Christianity? Isn't the traditional means of conversion being actively evangelized or invited by a Christian rather than somebody opening a phone book out of the blue? To this end, it may be that Christians in house churches can invite some outsiders who might be less likely to attend a large church (out of intimidation, preferring a smaller setting, or for whatever reason). If different methods of church can reach different people, as long as we're staying within orthodoxy, I see this as a net positive.
    I'm a big believer in 'one size fits all is NOT true of churches'. As long as we maintain orthodoxy, as you said, I think there's a place for every type of church and all have advantages to some seekers.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Okay - extremely difficult. It's still exceptional in small groups to be a passive participant.

Perhaps we're not thinking of the same "House Church" concept. They're not all operating like a "small group" Bible study kind of thing. Ours (and others with which I am familiar) was more like a "small Church" in a house, than a "small group" as in a Bible study.

Smaller groups can develop tunnel vision easier than larger. Mind you, any group can do it, but it's harder to catch and correct in small groups. More so if they tend to isolate themselves (that's not a major concern at present with house churches).
      I think that entirely depends on the leadership of the House Church... if they're actively following a Biblical model, I'd think they'd be LESS likely to do what you're saying.

It takes a lot longer to spread a controversy in a big group than a small one - and if a small group factions they tend to reinforce the perceived wrong (circle the wagons) more readily.
      And, if there's good leadership, it's much easier to "nip it in the bud", and make a correction.

Again, can happen in any group - but big churches usually overcome small controversies (or completely ignore them) whereas small groups will react to them more. It's a human thing, not a church thing.
      Meh... again, if you're talking about a "home Bible study" where everybody is (for lack of a better expression) simply pooling their ignorance (SOMETIMES that's what's happening) that might be true -- but if it's an actual "house Church" with a Biblical model / pastor / proper motivation, I disagree.

And I've actually BEEN there.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Perhaps we're not thinking of the same "House Church" concept. They're not all operating like a "small group" Bible study kind of thing. Ours (and others with which I am familiar) was more like a "small Church" in a house, than a "small group" as in a Bible study.

I think that entirely depends on the leadership of the House Church... if they're actively following a Biblical model, I'd think they'd be LESS likely to do what you're saying.

And, if there's good leadership, it's much easier to "nip it in the bud", and make a correction.

Meh... again, if you're talking about a "home Bible study" where everybody is (for lack of a better expression) simply pooling their ignorance (SOMETIMES that's what's happening) that might be true -- but if it's an actual "house Church" with a Biblical model / pastor / proper motivation, I disagree.

And I've actually BEEN there.
        I agree it depends on the church - 'more or less likely' isn't the same thing as 'will definitely happen' nor did I imply that it always or even mostly happened.

"Small" is a relative concept - especially in my neck of the woods where few 'small' churches could meet in a home. And I have seen the same sorts of things happen in small churches - and I've actually BEEN there, too.
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I agree it depends on the church - 'more or less likely' isn't the same thing as 'will definitely happen' nor did I imply that it always or even mostly happened.

"Small" is a relative concept - especially in my neck of the woods where few 'small' churches could meet in a home. And I have seen the same sorts of things happen in small churches - and I've actually BEEN there, too.
          I bet you CAUSED those problems!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I bet you CAUSED those problems!
            I'm gonna tell your mom you're being mean to me!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I'm gonna tell your mom you're being mean to me!
              She'll clobber you with her combat boots!

Comment

Did not. She was really nice and gave me a cookie. Oh, and she said to tell you she wants to see you - and to bring her her combat boots.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Did not. She was really nice and gave me a cookie. Oh, and she said to tell you she wants to see you - and to bring her her combat boots.
                  That's gonna be a challenge. She's been in Heaven since 2010. So you're the meanest nastiest foulest meanest (did I say meanest) Christian there ever was cause you KNEW that and was only saying that cause you're the MEANEST! That's how you CHRISTIANS ARE!!!!

And I want to get into that.

Comment

What? Don't you even visit?

You might as well get into it - you get into everything else....

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The greatest advantage is that you aren't tied to a specific building.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                        The greatest advantage is that you aren't tied to a specific building.
                        Eh, some good, lots wrong with that column. An example, more or less at random:

The column opines that church buildings are bad because the have the problem of real estate; if everyone in the congregation invited a friend, and all the invitees came, there'd be no place for everyone to park. Never mind, for a moment, the sheer improbability of that happening. This is different from a house church. . . how exactly?
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Eh, some good, lots wrong with that column. An example, more or less at random:

The column opines that church buildings are bad because the have the problem of real estate; if everyone in the congregation invited a friend, and all the invitees came, there'd be no place for everyone to park. Never mind, for a moment, the sheer improbability of that happening. This is different from a house church. . . how exactly?
                          The hyperbolic point about no place to park is that expansion is hindered by being bound to "official" church buildings due to limited capacity. House churches admit expansion much more easily by budding off like yeast.

Comment

The hyperbolic point about no place to park is that expansion is hindered by being bound to "official" church buildings due to limited capacity. House churches admit expansion much more easily by budding off like yeast.
                            And churches with their own buildings generally get around this by adding additional service times, if they are fortunate enough to even have this problem.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yeah, if the qualifications of the leader are ignored. Seminaries have been around for much longer than Mr. North imagines - and even before then, there were minimum age/time after conversion limits which were seldom ignored, these limits having been set by experience. And the idea of getting indigenous leadership involved ASAP in mission fields is hardly limited to house churches.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                And churches with their own buildings generally get around this by adding additional service times, if they are fortunate enough to even have this problem.
                                The model North sketches is for and to sustain an environment with high growth. That it's unsuitable for your country, which has had, on average, limited to negative growth isn't a flaw with the model, but with your people.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X