Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

diversity is our strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charles View Post
    If I remember correctly you forced some non-European non-white males to help you...
    If i remember correctly that wealth got burned to the ground during the civil war.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
      If i remember correctly that wealth got burned to the ground during the civil war.
      So much for the rationality of the white European man...
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
        Only the ill-gotten gains of those that forced non-European, non-white males to acquire it.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
          Where is the contradiction? I have been working with people with all sorts of religious and cultural backgrounds and had no problem wtih it.
          These statements are logically equivalent:

"Diversity is good as long as we all work together."
          "Diversity is irrelevant as long as we all work together."

In other words, the important thing is not diversity but working together.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            These statements are logically equivalent:

"Diversity is good as long as we all work together."
            "Diversity is irrelevant as long as we all work together."

In other words, the important thing is not diversity but working together.
            I still don’t see the contradiction…

Your point is certainly dependent on the interpretation. You can focus on “working together” as the important part and say you are less focused on whether diversity is good or irrelevant as long as we work together but you could also hold the view that what we produce together gets better since we are diverse. Most of us get wiser and produce better if we are challenged by other ways of doing things and other ways of thinking. That part is lost in the “diversity is irrelevant” part.
            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

I still don’t see the contradiction…

Your point is certainly dependent on the interpretation. You can focus on “working together” as the important part and say you are less focused on whether diversity is good or irrelevant as long as we work together but you could also hold the view that what we produce together gets better since we are diverse. Most of us get wiser and produce better if we are challenged by other ways of doing things and other ways of thinking. That part is lost in the “diversity is irrelevant” part.
              I'm not sure if you realize that you're committing the fallacy of equivocation. When you say "diversity", you mean exclusively racial and cultural diversity, but even among a group of middle class American white males with a similar upbringing, you'll find a diversity of thought and opinion on any number of subjects, but that, of course, is not the kind of thing liberals are referring to when you use the term "diversity". On the contrary, your kind of toxic political correctness leads to things like rejecting an eminently qualified candidate for curating an African art exhibit simply because she happens to be white.

Comment

Keep in mind that for many liberals diversity means nothing more than a bunch of folks with different shades of skin all sharing the same (liberal) outlook.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Keep in mind that for many liberals diversity means nothing more than a bunch of folks with different shades of skin all sharing the same (liberal) outlook.
                  Liberal "logic"...

Diversity
                  LIFTDance_037.jpg

Not diversity
                  stock-photo-group-of-men-isolated-on-white-background-134839979.jpg

Comment

I'm not sure if you realize that you're committing the fallacy of equivocation. When you say "diversity", you mean exclusively racial and cultural diversity, but even among a group of middle class American white males with a similar upbringing, you'll find a diversity of thought and opinion on any number of subjects, but that, of course, is not the kind of thing liberals are referring to when you use the term "diversity". On the contrary, your kind of toxic political correctness leads to things like rejecting an eminently qualified candidate for curating an African art exhibit simply because she happens to be white.
                    You still did not point out where the contradiction is. I still don't see it.

I like the fact that you have to make up a fallacy where there is none. You wrote: “When you say "diversity", you mean exclusively racial and cultural diversity, but even among a group of middle class American white males with a similar upbringing, you'll find a diversity of thought and opinion on any number of subjects, but that, of course, is not the kind of thing liberals are referring to when you use the term "diversity". “

Where do I say that I only mean “racial and cultural diversity”? It is the topic we are discussing, yes, but that certainly does not mean that I restrict my point about diversity to only go for that part. So you are putting words in my mouth. It would be easier if we would all fit in such boxes, I agree. But actually it is rather interesting that we don’t.

Comment

Liberal "logic"...

Diversity
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]27172[/ATTACH]

Not diversity
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]27173[/ATTACH]
                      I amen'd by an error but since I give you so few I guess you can have this one :-)

What I wanted to point out is that this is just another case of you making up ideas about what "liberals" think (as if they all think the same). Whether the pictures show diversity or not of course depends on the context. I guess we can all agree that none of the pictures show any women, children and so on...

Comment

I'm not sure if you realize that you're committing the fallacy of equivocation. When you say "diversity", you mean exclusively racial and cultural diversity, but even among a group of middle class American white males with a similar upbringing, you'll find a diversity of thought and opinion on any number of subjects, but that, of course, is not the kind of thing liberals are referring to when you use the term "diversity". [...]
                        The fallacy of equivocation is defined as: "Using an ambiguous term in more than one sense, thus making an argument misleading."

The text you refer to as containing this fallacy is:

I would like to see you point out where I am using an ambiguous term in more than one sense, thus making an argument misleading.

Comment

The fallacy of equivocation is defined as: "Using an ambiguous term in more than one sense, thus making an argument misleading."

You imply that you're using the term "diversity" in its general sense when you are, in fact, referring to a specific ideology and political agenda. Textbook.

Ironically, suggesting, as liberals do, that diversity can only take a certain form and none other is not diversity but conformity, and in extreme cases it's outright bigotry.

Comment

You imply that you're using the term "diversity" in its general sense when you are, in fact, referring to a specific ideology and political agenda. Textbook.

Ironically, suggesting, as liberals do, that diversity can only take a certain form and none other is not diversity but conformity, and in extreme cases it's outright bigotry.
                            That is your claim about my use of the term and I have already pointed out it is wrong.

However, even if I used the word "diversity" in a narrow and rather specific sence then that in itself is not the fallacy of equivocation. In order for it to be the fallacy of equivocation the same word needs to be used more than once and in two different meanings. You remember the definition: "Using an ambiguous term in more than one sense, thus making an argument misleading."

Where do I use it in two different meanings in what I wrote?

Comment

...even if I used the word "diversity" in a narrow and rather specific sence then that in itself is not the fallacy of equivocation.
                              It is when you sneakily imply that you're talking in broader terms.

Comment

It is when you sneakily imply that you're talking in broader terms.
                                1) I do not do so and I have told you that you are wrong in claiming so.
                                2) Even if i did so it is still not the fallacy of equivocation. I will give you the definition once again: "Using an ambiguous term in more than one sense, thus making an argument misleading."

Comment