Who wants to live forever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    I think the assumption in the O.P. is that we would all live forever, not that just ourself would live forever while all our friends and relatives died off.
    Ah. That did not exactly stand out. Thanks.

Even so, I don’t think that greatly affects my answer. The last sentence of the quotation, at least, stands.

Comment

I think the assumption in the O.P. is that we would all live forever, not that just ourself would live forever while all our friends and relatives died off.
      well any that choose to.

Comment

Originally posted by Rushing Jaws View Post
        Ah. That did not exactly stand out. Thanks.

Even so, I don’t think that greatly affects my answer. The last sentence of the quotation, at least, stands.
        well you would still eventually end up in heaven since either you would eventually have an accident or Jesus would come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          well you would still eventually end up in heaven since either you would eventually have an accident or Jesus would come back.
          Aha, so what you're asking is whether or not people would rather live here for as long as possible, possibly forever, if they remained forever healthy, or would they rather die as soon as possible and go to heaven?

Comment

Aha, so what you're asking is whether or not people would rather live here for as long as possible, possibly forever, if they remained forever healthy, or would they rather die as soon as possible and go to heaven?
            sort of. If medical science invented a serum that would let you live young and healthy, potentially forever barring accidents or suicide or murder, etc (you would not be immortal) would you do it, as compared to just living a natural life and dying.

Basically you know how Jehovah's witnesses turn down blood transfusions even if they could save their lives? Well would Christians turn down extending their lives on earth versus dying after a normal lifetime. But then back in the early days in the bible some of those guys lived to be hundreds of years old, so what is a "natural lifespan?"

Comment

sort of. If medical science invented a serum that would let you live young and healthy, potentially forever barring accidents or suicide or murder, etc (you would not be immortal) would you do it, as compared to just living a natural life and dying.

Basically you know how Jehovah's witnesses turn down blood transfusions even if they could save their lives? Well would Christians turn down extending their lives on earth versus dying after a normal lifetime. But then back in the early days in the bible some of those guys lived to be hundreds of years old, so what is a "natural lifespan?"
              Well I suspect christians, since they don't know if what they believe is true, they would change their minds and live here in good health potentially forever and then go to heaven should they some day die.. I know I would, but you're question is more for believers.

Comment

Well I suspect christians, since they don't know if what they believe is true, they would change their minds and live here in good health potentially forever and then go to heaven should they some day die.. I know I would, but you're question is more for believers.
                no it is for anyone to answer. I like to see how each person thinks. There are probably just as many atheists who would say they would not want to live that long.

Comment

I do know that what I believe is true. And I would not choose to live here in this sinful world forever. I would choose to be with my Lord for eternity.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    I do know that what I believe is true.
                    No you don't.

And I would not choose to live here in this sinful world forever. I would choose to be with my Lord for eternity.
                    Well, the question is if you were guaranteed good health, how long would you choose to live here? Since you think you know theres an afterlife in heaven, then I guess its obvious that you would hope to die as soon as possible. Right?

Comment

No you don't.
                      Yes, Jim. I do.

Well, the question is if you were guaranteed good health, how long would you choose to live here? Since you think you know theres an afterlife in heaven, then I guess its obvious that you would hope to die as soon as possible. Right?
                      As I said previously in this thread, my life is in God's hands. If He wants me to linger on this earth for many years, I will. If He chooses to take me into His presence tomorrow, that is not my choice.

I'm sure you are aiming toward somehow saying that since I want to be with the Lord forever, why don't I go ahead and kill myself. But, once again, my life is God's to take or leave as He wills, not as I will.

Now, please don't make me explain it again. I'm sure that if you read it often enough, you will get it eventually.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        Yes, Jim. I do.
                        No you don't mossrose, you believe you know, but you don't know anymore than any of us know.

As I said previously in this thread, my life is in God's hands. If He wants me to linger on this earth for many years, I will. If He chooses to take me into His presence tomorrow, that is not my choice.

I'm sure you are aiming toward somehow saying that since I want to be with the Lord forever, why don't I go ahead and kill myself. But, once again, my life is God's to take or leave as He wills, not as I will.

Now, please don't make me explain it again. I'm sure that if you read it often enough, you will get it eventually.
                        No, i do understand, but that's not the question that was being asked. The question isn't what god wishes, the question is what you would do if you had the choice. The question is would you live here in good health forever if you could, or would you rather die as soon as possible and go to heaven straight away?

Comment

No you don't mossrose, you believe you know, but you don't know anymore than any of us know.

No, i do understand, but that's not the question that was being asked. The question isn't what god wishes, the question is what you would do if you had the choice. The question is would you live here in good health forever if you could, or would you rather die as soon as possible and go to heaven straight away?
                          We do know.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

And she already answered me Jim. She would refuse any such offer and live a natural lifespan.

Although we all know that mossy's natural lifespan is over 14 billion so far.

Comment

And she already answered me Jim. She would refuse any such offer and live a natural lifespan.

Although we all know that mossy's natural lifespan is over 14 billion so far.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment