Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who wants to live forever?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Absolutely, why not? If you could always end it if you wanted to, then what possible downside could there be to being healthy and living for as long as you want?
    I am wondering about Christians. We believe we will one day live forever in a perfect world. So would we want to live potentially forever in an imperfect one, until Jesus came back, or just live out our normal lives and then be with the Lord and be resurrected when he sets up his Kingdom?

Also I have heard atheists say "What would you do if you lived forever? It would get boring! I wouldn't want to live forever" when arguing with Christians.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I mean if everyone lives forever but evil still exist people could do all kinds of depraved things.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    I mean if everyone lives forever but evil still exist people could do all kinds of depraved things.
    They already do all kinds of depraved things.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I am wondering about Christians. We believe we will one day live forever in a perfect world. So would we want to live potentially forever in an imperfect one, until Jesus came back, or just live out our normal lives and then be with the Lord and be resurrected when he sets up his Kingdom?

Also I have heard atheists say "What would you do if you lived forever? It would get boring! I wouldn't want to live forever" when arguing with Christians.
    It might get boring, but then again it might not. The life experience changes with time so, if you are always healthy, you could potentially never get bored with it.

5. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We already are, ALL of us, living forever.

I would not choose to do so in this life and this body. I want to be with the Lord forever.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

7. Amen Sparko, The Melody Maker amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sure. If we get eternity in a perfect universe, I might as well experience everything an imperfect one has to offer first.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

9. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If they invented a way to cure all disease and let you live forever young and healthy (barring accidents) would you take it?

Why or why not.
    Honestly, this very question brought on a mini crisis of faith for me back in the day.

I was reading a book about what would be possible in the future and it was speculated that we could just upload our brains into a computer. This would allow us to live however long we wanted. For now I am ignoring the philosophical issue of would that really be "me" in the computer, let us assume that it is.

Would this be what God would want?

Would I be considered an abomination?

Do I have enough faith that God exists to forego this chance to live forever?
    Last edited by element771; 03-30-2018 at 09:41 AM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by element771 View Post
    Honestly, this very question brought on a mini crisis of faith for me back in the day.

I was reading a book about what would be possible in the future and it was speculated that we could just upload our brains into a computer. This would allow us to live however long we wanted. For now I am ignoring the philosophical issue of would that really be "me" in the computer, let us assume that it is.

Would this be what God would want?

Would I be considered an abomination?

Do I have enough faith that God exists to forego this chance to live forever?
    Or what if the real you died and went to heaven while this digital copy of you lived on in a computer?

Personally I don't see any problem with wanting to extend your life, we already do that. That is why we take care of ourselves and go to doctors and try to cure disease. This would just be the next step: no aging or disease. I am not talking about making computer copies of yourself like you are though. That would just be a copy, not the real you anyway. Even if there is no soul.

But would it be wrong to extend your life indefinitely if you are a Christian? Is that being unfaithful? Eventually if we are right Jesus will come back and it will be moot anyway, right? Or would we lose our faith over time if we lived for 10000 years?

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Or what if the real you died and went to heaven while this digital copy of you lived on in a computer?

Personally I don't see any problem with wanting to extend your life, we already do that. That is why we take care of ourselves and go to doctors and try to cure disease. This would just be the next step: no aging or disease. I am not talking about making computer copies of yourself like you are though. That would just be a copy, not the real you anyway. Even if there is no soul.

But would it be wrong to extend your life indefinitely if you are a Christian? Is that being unfaithful? Eventually if we are right Jesus will come back and it will be moot anyway, right? Or would we lose our faith over time if we lived for 10000 years?
    The way I see it is, that no matter what we do to extend our life, if God wants to take us home, He will. My time here is in His hands, and if He wants me to linger here for many years, that's up to Him. If He wants me home tomorrow it makes no difference what I do today to extend my life.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

13. Amen The Melody Maker, Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That is what I am wondering.

In the Garden of Eden, didn't God block off the tree of eternal life once we ate from the tree of knowledge?

But your point is taken as well... we extend our lives all of the time, at what point is it bad?