Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump Lies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump Lies

I have spoken many times about my dissatisfaction with Trump's lies and misrepresentations. I thought a thread focusing on those would be in order. So... first up, lies about the border wall and Amazon. The latter is especially outrageous given that Trump has not shown his own financial records and there is significant evidence of the degree to which he is enriching himself using his office as a means (as well as his' children's).

I invite those who are also unhappy with these to add to the list here. Given that he averages 4-6 lies or misrepresentations per day, we should have a rich set of materials to draw from.
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-31-2018, 01:14 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

From '''''''''fact check'''''' of yours

Trump is upset about Amazon because its owner, Jeff Bezos, owns The Washington Post, one of the targets of his "fake news" tweets.
    Real objective!!

Demi is curious, what part of tweets about Amazon, quoted, was proven false?
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

From source of yours,

THE FACTS: Sanders is incorrect......*data indicating Sarah Sanders was right
      This is just sad, are you still doing pretense that this kind of thing is objective?

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
        From source of yours,

THE FACTS: Sanders is incorrect......*data indicating Sarah Sanders was right

This is just sad, are you still doing pretense that this kind of thing is objective?
        Yep, it's just typical "We disagree with Trump's opinion and/or take Trump hyper-literally, but we're going to call it lying because that's what sells to the gullible!" hyperbole that the liberal media has been doing since the campaign.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

From '''''''''fact check'''''' of yours

Real objective!!

Demi is curious, what part of tweets about Amazon, quoted, was proven false?
          Amazon actually collects taxes in all 50 states and submits them to the individual states. There is no federal sales tax, so it does not do this. The contract with Amazon is actually profitable to the Post Office. The Post Office actually loses money on conventional letters, which they are prohibited from adjusting to market rates due to federal regulation, which the Trump administration has done nothing to alter (Obama and Bush did not either).
          Last edited by carpedm9587; 03-31-2018, 03:35 PM.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            Amazon actually collects taxes in all 50 states and submits them to the individual states....
            That's kinda sorta mostly true - a LOT of my purchases from Amazon have zero sales tax. From CNNTech....

And there is still one big sales-tax loophole left on Amazon: Shoppers don't have to pay sales tax when they buy from one of the site's many third-party vendors.

Those vendors have huge sales in their own right. Amazon says it has more than 100,000 vendors who sell more than $100,000 each annually, which means total sales of more than $10 billion. Amazon says that nearly half the items it sells are from third-party vendors.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Yep, it's just typical "We disagree with Trump's opinion and/or take Trump hyper-literally, but we're going to call it lying because that's what sells to the gullible!" hyperbole that the liberal media has been doing since the campaign.
              Anything to support that claim?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                That's kinda sorta mostly true - a LOT of my purchases from Amazon have zero sales tax. From CNNTech....

And there is still one big sales-tax loophole left on Amazon: Shoppers don't have to pay sales tax when they buy from one of the site's many third-party vendors.

Those vendors have huge sales in their own right. Amazon says it has more than 100,000 vendors who sell more than $100,000 each annually, which means total sales of more than $10 billion. Amazon says that nearly half the items it sells are from third-party vendors.
                This is true - but that is also not Amazon. When a vendor uses the Amazon engine to sell their goods, it's the equivalent of a huge flea market. When you go to a flea market to buy your wares, you don't pay your taxes to the owner of the flea market; you pay them to the vendor who sold you the goods. If the owner of the flea market is selling their wares in the same market, they are responsible for collecting taxes on the things that they sell.

Comment

This is true - but that is also not Amazon. When a vendor uses the Amazon engine to sell their goods, it's the equivalent of a huge flea market. When you go to a flea market to buy your wares, you don't pay your taxes to the owner of the flea market; you pay them to the vendor who sold you the goods. If the owner of the flea market is selling their wares in the same market, they are responsible for collecting taxes on the things that they sell.
                  Trump: "I have stated my concerns with Amazon long before the Election. Unlike others, they pay little or no taxes to state & local governments,"

This is not something Factcheck of yours refutes, also Trump is probably saying like almost all big megacorps, Amazon avoids paying yuge amounts of taxes.

Edit: also this

The state claimed that for the first quarter of 2016, Amazon owes $12.5 million in taxes, penalties and interest, an amount that "will continue to accrue until this matter is resolved."

In the complaint, obtained by CNBC, South Carolina's Department of Revenue said Amazon is responsible for collecting taxes on behalf of the businesses that used the marketplace to sell products to residents of the state. A spokesperson for the state declined to comment on why the audit was limited to that three month period.

The dispute is the latest in Amazon's long history of complicated tax issues and threatens to become quite the headache for the e-tailer should South Carolina succeed and set a precedent for other states. Not only would Amazon have to put more controls in place, but costs would rise for consumers and sellers would lose a pricing advantage they currently have over physical retailers.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/15/amaz...-business.html
                  Sad!
                  Last edited by demi-conservative; 04-01-2018, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Trump: "I have stated my concerns with Amazon long before the Election. Unlike others, they pay little or no taxes to state & local governments,"

This is not something Factcheck of yours refutes, also Trump is probably saying like almost all big megacorps, Amazon avoids paying yuge amounts of taxes.

Edit: also this

Sad!
                    The first part of your post is addressed by this NYT article. It does pay taxes at the state and local level. It has used tax loopholes to avoid federal taxes in 2017. However, since Trump boasts of using similar loopholes, he appears to be speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

The issue of who collects for 3rd parties is in the courts. We shall see how it plays out. IMO, it should be as I noted in my previous post: it is the responsibility of the vendor to collect taxes on their sales. Amazon is merely a shopping cart engine for these businesses.

Comment

IMO, it should be as I noted in my previous post: it is the responsibility of the vendor to collect taxes on their sales. Amazon is merely a shopping cart engine for these businesses.
                      Fake News. See article of mine

South Carolina is fighting that premise, arguing that under state law, Amazon is considered the seller because the company controls a large part of the sales process for its third-party merchants.

For example, Amazon handles shipping and storing for some sellers who pay fees for the Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) program. Even sellers who store inventory at home or in their own warehouse rely on Amazon to manage some elements of the transaction, like payment processing and customer support, according to the complaint.

Amazon also has strict policies on third-party sellers related to things like shipping times and refunds.

Comment

Fake News. See article of mine
                        I read the article. It's not "Fake News" - it's a disagreement about the law. That's why we have courts. We shall have to see what the courts say.

Comment

Fake News is "Amazon is merely a shopping cart".

Also,

it's a disagreement about the law.
                          Which part is lie of Trump then??
                          Last edited by demi-conservative; 04-01-2018, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Fake News is "Amazon is merely a shopping cart".

Also,

Which part is lie of Trump then??
                            "Unlike others, they pay little or no taxes to state & local governments."

They actually pay taxes on everything they sell - at the state and local level.

Comment

I'll buy that. But it will have to be at flea market prices.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment