Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion

I'm not sure where this belongs, so I'm using the lobby. I'm curious what people think of this:

The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend a personal God and avoid dogmas and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Is there a source for this?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sorry that your god of the future is dead.

Mine is very much alive, thank you very much. And always will be.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        I'm not sure where this belongs, so I'm using the lobby. I'm curious what people think of this:

The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend a personal God and avoid dogmas and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things, natural and spiritual, as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description.

Does this mean that Buddhism has no dogma or theology that would speak against the true God who was made know through the Jews and now known through the Trinity?

Is this saying somehow you can have a religion, a term inherent to man's relationship with deity, yet not respect the Creator of all mankind?

Your quote seems to be self-contradictory and hence meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Sorry that your god of the future is dead.

Mine is very much alive, thank you very much. And always will be.
          Where does it say that god is dead...?
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Is there a source for this?
            It's a quote widely (and incorrectly) arttributed to Einstein. I have to admit that I fell into the trap of believing it was his, until I tried to relocate the source (which I should have done when I first posted it) and discovered that the attribution was incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              Does this mean that Buddhism has no dogma or theology that would speak against the true God who was made know through the Jews and now known through the Trinity?

Is this saying somehow you can have a religion, a term inherent to man's relationship with deity, yet not respect the Creator of all mankind?

Your quote seems to be self-contradictory and hence meaningless.
              I cannot answer your first question - Buddhism is not a religion I have studied. As for the rest, I believe it is saying that religions should not be "human" focused (hence the personal relationship part), and should focus rather on experiencing god through all things (which has a bit if a Jesuit flavor to it, perhaps Teilhardian) as a unity. Indeed, I read it to say "more unity, less dogma." Based on the sayings attributed to Jesus, I suspect he might have concurred.

Comment

Where does it say that god is dead...?
                Experiential cosmic religion that "transcends a personal god" turns inward to man's feelings instead of a Being.

No surprise there. Same thing's been happening for millennia.

I just took it to the "logical" conclusion.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

any such admittedly man-made religion is just a sham so why believe in it? You are choosing to believe in a known lie.

Comment

Experiential cosmic religion that "transcends a personal god" turns inward to man's feelings instead of a Being.

No surprise there. Same thing's been happening for millennia.

I just took it to the "logical" conclusion.
                    Interesting you went there. As a former Jesuit, that was never a problem for me. Of course...I then left entirely, so...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      any such admittedly man-made religion is just a sham so why believe in it? You are choosing to believe in a known lie.
                      Well, you know I believe ALL religions are "man-made," so that is not a differentiator for me. But I didn't read the post quite that way either. Interesting reaction, though. Thanks.

Happy Easter, BTW!
                      Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-01-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Interesting you went there. As a former Jesuit, that was never a problem for me. Of course...I then left entirely, so...
                        It's where ALL religion outside of Christ goes.

Comment

It's where ALL religion outside of Christ goes.
                          So what led you to think that this description was necessarily exclusive of Christianity? I know it ends with the claim that Buddhism has these characteristics, but that doesn't mean Christianity doesn't. Which part of this do you think is incompatible with Christianity?

By the way, Happy Easter!

Comment

Which part of this do you think is incompatible with Christianity?
                            Christianity deals with the personal God of the Bible. Without personal you do not have Christianity.
                            Truth of eternal matters does not arise from experience, but from revelation from God. Lose revelation and you do not have Christianity.
                            And what in the world does "a cosmic religion" even mean? The cosmos is limited to this universe. Christianity is not so limited.

What you have described is just another man made religion designed to make folks feel better.
                            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Well, you know I believe ALL religions are "man-made," so that is not a differentiator for me. But I didn't read the post quite that way either. Interesting reaction, though. Thanks.

Happy Easter, BTW!
                              well it is describing what a religion "should be" and deliberately excluding God, so it is "making up a religion" as compared to a religion that claims to be based on revelation from God. I know you believe all religions are man made, but the adherents of Christianity believe it is a historically based religion based on revelations from God. Such a religion as you describe would obviously made-up so why would any one actually believe it? At best it would not be a religion but a philosophy of living.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X