Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Probiotic Supplement

  1. #1
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,236
    Amen (Given)
    506
    Amen (Received)
    343

    Probiotic Supplement

    I'm currently taking a 14 day probiotic supplement to restore a healthy environment in my intestinal tract. Each capsule contains 100 billion beneficial bacteria. This is my seventh day on the supplement. I'm experiencing weakness, light headedness/headaches, chills, and bodily pain/cramps. Today on a long walk I barely made it out of the ravine and felt like pulling an 'into the wild' ending scene as I lay down on the dirt path looking up at the sky, breathing my last.

    So, fellow physicians, do you think I should soldier on and continue the supplement for another 7 days, or quit before I kick the bucket?

  2. #2
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,993
    Amen (Given)
    1559
    Amen (Received)
    1662
    I take a probiotic 3 to 4 times a week. I've never had any of these symptoms. I suppose it's possible you got a contaminated batch...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

    "... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

  3. #3
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,775
    Amen (Given)
    1341
    Amen (Received)
    1330
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawly View Post
    I'm currently taking a 14 day probiotic supplement to restore a healthy environment in my intestinal tract. Each capsule contains 100 billion beneficial bacteria. This is my seventh day on the supplement. I'm experiencing weakness, light headedness/headaches, chills, and bodily pain/cramps. Today on a long walk I barely made it out of the ravine and felt like pulling an 'into the wild' ending scene as I lay down on the dirt path looking up at the sky, breathing my last.

    So, fellow physicians, do you think I should soldier on and continue the supplement for another 7 days, or quit before I kick the bucket?
    I know many people who take them, and I take them myself and they and I have never experienced any side effects. I have read that generally they are very safe although some people may get minor side effects such as gas and bloating. I'd do a little research if I were you to make sure whatever you're taking is legit.

  4. #4
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,236
    Amen (Given)
    506
    Amen (Received)
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    I know many people who take them, and I take them myself and they and I have never experienced any side effects. I have read that generally they are very safe although some people may get minor side effects such as gas and bloating. I'd do a little research if I were you to make sure whatever you're taking is legit.
    The brand I bought is from a reputable manufacturer, basically specializing in this supplement. I think my symptoms might be attributed to the fact that years ago I killed off all(?) my intestinal flora with a prolonged cocktail of antibiotics, and never took a probiotic supplement until now; and starting with such a potent number (100 billion per capsule), my system is having a hard time adapting. It's easy to find testimonials of people experiencing similar symptoms to myself, some quit, others continue. It'll be touch and go but I think I'll continue and hope I make it through another 7.

  5. #5
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45,563
    Amen (Given)
    9782
    Amen (Received)
    22055
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrawly View Post
    The brand I bought is from a reputable manufacturer, basically specializing in this supplement. I think my symptoms might be attributed to the fact that years ago I killed off all(?) my intestinal flora with a prolonged cocktail of antibiotics, and never took a probiotic supplement until now; and starting with such a potent number (100 billion per capsule), my system is having a hard time adapting. It's easy to find testimonials of people experiencing similar symptoms to myself, some quit, others continue. It'll be touch and go but I think I'll continue and hope I make it through another 7.
    Are you drinking plenty of water?

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  6. #6
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,236
    Amen (Given)
    506
    Amen (Received)
    343
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Are you drinking plenty of water?
    Yes, very important, thank you!

  7. #7
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,993
    Amen (Given)
    1559
    Amen (Received)
    1662
    Might try a PRE-biotic. It gives vital nutrients to the good bacteria and helps them flourish. You
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

    "... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

  8. Amen Scrawly amen'd this post.
  9. #8
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42,995
    Amen (Given)
    4042
    Amen (Received)
    19598
    i think you should go see a gastroenterologist. You might have some more serious things going on than bad gut bacteria. Get it checked out.

  10. Amen JimL, Jedidiah, Scrawly amen'd this post.
  11. #9
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,236
    Amen (Given)
    506
    Amen (Received)
    343
    Well, my 14 day intensive probiotic treatment is complete and I must say I feel quite fantastic. I don't want to celebrate prematurely but my bladder also feels relatively normal (aka not like a 24/7, 365 bladder infection). Three cheers for probiotics!

    Thanks God!

  12. Amen Cow Poke, JimL, Jedidiah amen'd this post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •