Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

White House WHITE interns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I do not dispute that there has been a significant shift of power towards the Executive branch. That is well document. But that is a shift of power within government, with the legislature more and more ceding power to the Executive (which is a dangerous thing, frankly). But I believe Mike was talking about the federal government as a whole grabbing more and more power, presumably form the states and the people.
    Um, so? That's also well documented - heck, you yourself referred to an aspect of it recently - the change in Senate election procedure directly took power from the states.

ETA: Huh? I could have sworn you knew this a week or two ago but given the later posts, okay, maybe not... ;shrug:
    Last edited by Teallaura; 04-03-2018, 11:14 PM.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
      ... Asexual men from Alabama?....
      Hey! Just because their guts are bigger than their britches, they've never met a bath they liked and have to make sure the girl is drunk before asking her out doesn't make 'em one of them there 'a - secktuals'...
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

The United States is not a direct democracy - it is a democracy by representation, which is also a valid definition of "democracy." We also meet the valid definition of "republic."...
        It's a democratic republic meaning that it is a republic in which representatives are elected from the populace. It's not even remotely close to being a true democracy - and republic will always be more correct if you (general) chose one over the other. Or you (general) could just use the correct term 'democratic republic'. But calling it a 'democracy' sounds like your )still general) high school civics teacher was an idiot or you flunked the class, one.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Is it a power grab or has Congress been a willing participant/accomplice?
          I’d say both.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            We started with no popular selection of Congress members. It was solely up to the state governments to decide who and how they placed people into office. It was not intended that the people in general would be involved in determining what happens at the fed level. If memory serves, this design was to avoid just popular votes by people ignorant of the integrity and qualifications of candidates.
            Um, that was true of the Senate to create a balance of state versus Fed power - it was never true of the House. You might have the Articles in mind here - but I'm unsure off the top of my head.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
              What you mean is ‘it shouldnt’. And you’re absolutely correct. I doubt there’s a poster in here who would disagree with you, except maybe Darth.

However there’s currently a difference between it doesn’t, and it shouldn’t- practically speaking.

Carps argument is that we shouldn’t ignore that difference until it’s actually a ‘doesnt’ in practice.
              Good point - but that wasn't what Carpe said - and honestly, although I think there's some validity to how you have framed this, I didn't see it in his argumentation.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

OK, I cannot definitively say this is untrue, but I have never heard of this. While there have been changes in our voting process over the years, my understanding is that presidential elections have always been governed by the electoral college, appointment to which is governed by the parties based on the vote of the citizens. Representation in Congress has always been done by popular vote at the state (for the Senate) and district (for the House) levels. I know of no time in our history, at least since the ratification of the constitution, when state governments appointed federal representation. Perhaps that was true before the Constitution was ratified?...
                No, senators were originally elected by state legislatures.

ETA: Yeah, just saw where Terr already covered this...
                Last edited by Teallaura; 04-03-2018, 11:15 PM.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Um, so? That's also well documented - heck, you yourself referred to an aspect of it recently - the change in Senate election procedure directly took power from the states.
                  State legislatures, maybe, but states in general? It's still done by the people of that state. I don't see how it's taking power from states.

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  It's a democratic republic meaning that it is a republic in which representatives are elected from the populace. It's not even remotely close to being a true democracy - and republic will always be more correct if you (general) chose one over the other. Or you (general) could just use the correct term 'democratic republic'. But calling it a 'democracy' sounds like your )still general) high school civics teacher was an idiot or you flunked the class, one.
                  Definition of "democracy":

Merriam-Webster: "a government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them directly or indirectly through a system of representation usually involving periodically held free elections"

Cambridge Dictionary: "the belief in freedom and equality between people, or a system of government based on this belief, in which power is either held by elected representatives or directly by the people themselves"

Oxford Dictionary: "A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives."

Dictionary.com: "government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system."

Aside from cynical claims about how the government is controlled by special interest groups rather than the people, in what way does the United States fail to meet these definitions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    We've gone over this multiple times.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                      It’s only racist if you pretend all black people are the same. Pretending all white people are the same is just fine.
                      It has been popular in some circles to claim you aren't really black unless you are liberal

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        Must be hard to always have to worry if you’re being racist or not.
                        I hate everybody, equally, for no good reason. Am I racist?
                        ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Because it is sooo much better to have a group of people with different shades of skin who all share the same perspective (the liberal idea of "diversity").
                          That's not my idea of diversity, nor is it the idea of anyone I've ever met. So either I'm not a liberal, and liberals are extremely rare, or you're spouting bigoted BS.
                          Last edited by Roy; 04-04-2018, 04:08 AM.
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                            What you mean is ‘it shouldnt’. And you’re absolutely correct. I doubt there’s a poster in here who would disagree with you, except maybe Darth.

However there’s currently a difference between it doesn’t, and it shouldn’t- practically speaking.

Carps argument is that we shouldn’t ignore that difference until it’s actually a ‘doesnt’ in practice.
                            So, I should ACT like it matters instead of live like it doesn't? I should ACT like race is important? Isn't that the definition of racist?
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                              So, I should ACT like it matters instead of live like it doesn't? I should ACT like race is important? Isn't that the definition of racist?
                              Yuo should act like it doesn't, and acknowledge that many people act like it does.
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                                Yuo should act like it doesn't, and acknowledge that many people act like it does.
                                The sad part is that some of the "many people" are the ones perpetuating enforced quotas and such.
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment