Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Seeking decent free antimalware program.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking decent free antimalware program.

For years I used MS stuff -- Defender, then Security Essentials. Several weeks ago, out of the blue, it started flagging known-safe stuff I'd had unchanged on my system for years. I couldn't get it to ignore. So I uninstalled MSSE.

I liked the Avast reviews, so I tried it. Too many problems: Frequently the UI failed to load; ALWAYS I had to manually start real-time protection; had to reboot system after updating. Uninstalled it about an hour ago.

I want something with low incidence of false positives, low impact on system performance, and generally convenient.

Any recommendations?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Maybe Malwarebytes?

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
      For years I used MS stuff -- Defender, then Security Essentials. Several weeks ago, out of the blue, it started flagging known-safe stuff I'd had unchanged on my system for years. I couldn't get it to ignore. So I uninstalled MSSE.

I liked the Avast reviews, so I tried it. Too many problems: Frequently the UI failed to load; ALWAYS I had to manually start real-time protection; had to reboot system after updating. Uninstalled it about an hour ago.

I want something with low incidence of false positives, low impact on system performance, and generally convenient.

Any recommendations?
      Is this for a PC, Tablet or Phone?
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I read this as a plea for free animalware.

I'm not saying I'm going to be holding a grudge, but I'm tres disappointed right now.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
          I read this as a plea for free animalware.

I'm not saying I'm going to be holding a grudge, but I'm tres disappointed right now.
          Three months to Anthrocon.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I have never had any problems with Windows Defender. Maybe your old files got infected somehow? Or they always were and you never knew it. Malware/adware isn't necessarily viruses, it is mostly advertising, tracking and useless software. A lot of it gets packaged with download installation packages, and tries to get you to install it when you install the program you want to install. You might have chosen not to install the bad software but it still exists in the installation package. Maybe it was finding that?

Comment