Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

More overt racism from Republicans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whag View Post
    You know exactly what he means in the 4th and 5th paragraphs, and so did the journalist who reported it.
    He’s specifically said “African Americans” in the context of voting, specifically expressing his concern that poll hours will boost black turnout in the election. You’re just playing dumb.
    Is there a didn't quote you care to cite?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      09/10/14 12:15 PM—Updated 09/10/14 02:21 PM
      http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/goper-fra...-black-turnout

Why do you think it is talking about Michelle Obama?
      I didn't catch that. seer is right, shuny is being dishonest.

Comment

Republican honesty is refreshing ...

…. Now, I’m going to have to go out on a limb here and give Senator Fran Millar a little bit of credit for being honest enough to say what many members of his party have thought all along. Ever since angry Southern Democrats began leaving in droves for the Republican Party following Lyndon Johnson signing the Civil Rights Act in 1964 and Richard Nixon’s “Southern Strategy” in 1968, there has been a push within the party to attempt to disenfranchise as many black voters as possible. The Republican Party, which just a century before had fought to end slavery, was now trying to keep the descendents of those slaves from voting.

Of course, outrightly prohibiting minorities from voting today would cause an uproar around the country and it would certainly bring the Department of Justice, the ACLU and more lawsuits than you could find lawyers for down on the lawmakers of any state that would even attempt something so asinine. Prior to the Civil Rights Act, direct disenfranchisement techniques were used to keep black voters away from the polls – up to and including threats and acts of violence or even death. Right down the road from me in Opelousas, Louisiana, as many as 150 black citizens were massacred in 1868 for engaging in political action. This event was known as the Opelousas Massacre and it was one of many incidents over the past century and a half since the Civil War in which white conservatives attempted to suppress the black vote.

Since they can no longer use poll taxes or other forms of voter suppression from the past, Republicans like Fran Millar now try to close voting places, demand strict ID laws to combat voter fraud that doesn’t exist, or shorten the time in which people can vote. Which really makes me wonder, if the Republican Party has so many wonderful ideas and isn’t racist – why the hell do they complain about minorities voting?

As I said before, kudos to Sen. Fran Millar for openly saying what we knew all along. The Republican Party truly does not represent the interests of anyone who isn’t wealthy and able to cast a vote at 2pm on a Tuesday afternoon in the one remaining polling place inside of the country club.
        https://forwardprogressives.com/gop-...ucated-voters/
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I didn't catch that. seer is right, shuny is being dishonest.
          Care to cite the exact quote where Jesus condemns homosexuality? Quit playing stupid.

Comment

Care to cite the exact quote where Jesus condemns homosexuality? Quit playing stupid.
            You really think this is a clever retort?

Jesus upheld Old Testament law which explicitly condemns homosexuality.

Come on, try asking something that actually takes a little bit of digging to answer.

Comment

And I still haven't seen a direct quote from the good Senator saying that he opposes early voting because black people. That's what his racist critics are saying, but it doesn't seem he ever said it himself.

Comment

You really think this is a clever retort?

Jesus upheld Old Testament law which explicitly condemns homosexuality.

Come on, try asking something that actually takes a little bit of digging to answer.
                Similarly, Millar is fomenting racist concerns that Sunday polling hours will boost black voting:

“Michelle Obama comes to town and Chicago politics comes to DeKalb,” Millar wrote. “Per Jim Galloway of the [Atlanta Journal Constitution], this location is dominated by African American shoppers and it is near several large African American mega churches such as New Birth Missionary Baptist.”

The article doesn’t mention that he then insinuates that black megachurches are in the habit of illegally bussing congregants to the polls. The “uneducated” comment was made in the same context as his comments about black voters.

I don’t want you to dig, just see that one needn’t say “Blacks are uneducated and I’m afraid that polling hours will boost black voting activity” in order to express that view. He’s talking about blacks in the same context, and you know it.

Comment

This story seems to be from 2014. Fran has a page to himself here:
                  https://republicinsanity.tumblr.com/...43/fran-millar
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Like posting a story from 2014 and making it look like it is somehow news?
                    Well, shunya didn't actually say it was a new story, he just said here is another example of the obvious racism in the leadership of the republican party.

Comment

Similarly...
                      It's not similar at all. The connection Jesus makes is very direct:

Old Testament law explicitly condemns homosexuality
                      Jesus, on numerous occasions, upheld Old Testament law.
                      Therefore, Jesus endorsed the condemnation of homosexuality.

If you want to draw a parallel then what preexisting statement condemning black voters did Millar explicitly endorse? What policy condemning blacks did he explicitly uphold?

(Hint: The answer is "none".)

Millar is fomenting racist concerns that Sunday polling hours will boost black voting:

“Michelle Obama comes to town and Chicago politics comes to DeKalb,” Millar wrote. “Per Jim Galloway of the [Atlanta Journal Constitution], this location is dominated by African American shoppers and it is near several large African American mega churches such as New Birth Missionary Baptist.”

The article doesn’t mention that he then insinuates that black megachurches are in the habit of illegally bussing congregants to the polls. The “uneducated” comment was made in the same context as his comments about black voters.

I don’t want you to dig, just see that one needn’t say “Blacks are uneducated and I’m afraid that polling hours will boost black voting activity” in order to express that view. He’s talking about blacks in the same context, and you know it.
                      Were his statements factual in that the location that Michelle Obama went to was "dominated by African America shoppers", and was it "near large African American mega churches"? Was he right to peg this as nothing more than a "partisan stunt"?

Yes, yes, and yes. There's nothing inherently racist about stating simple fact.

He also said that, in general, he prefers "more educated voters than a greater increase in the number of voters." Again, a reasonable, non-controversial statement that in no way implies that blacks are less educated.

The real racists here are Millar's critics who insist that the term "educated voters" necessarily excludes black people.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Well, shunya didn't actually say it was a new story, he just said here is another example of the obvious racism in the leadership of the republican party.
                        he said "More overt racism" as if it were something happening now. Usually "more" doesn't refer to 4 year old news. Shuny is sneaky that way. He didn't say it was a new story but implied it and did not mention it was 4 years old. To give him the benefit of the doubt, he probably didn't realize it was. He is absent-minded that way.

Comment

he said "More overt racism" as if it were something happening now. Usually "more" doesn't refer to 4 year old news. Shuny is sneaky that way. He didn't say it was a new story but implied it and did not mention it was 4 years old. To give him the benefit of the doubt, he probably didn't realize it was. He is absent-minded that way.
                          My guess is that shunya didn't even realize that the story was 4 years old, like many who were replying didn't notice it until you brought it up. I doubt he was trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes, if he knew it was 4 years old, he also would have known that someone is going to catch on to that pretty quickly.

Comment

You may have a point. frank-n-beans is rather infamous for citing sources without bothering to read them first.

Comment

You may have a point. frank-n-beans is rather infamous for citing sources without bothering to read them first.
                              Mr. Google.

Comment