Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Planned Parenthood Perverting Our Kids!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Y
    I'm sure there will be a reason why this is OK with Trump, but not OK with Obama...
    Right, because Trump is doing things we like...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I don't think it is the number but the topic of the EO that counts. And why it was used.
      Yeah - that's the usual response...

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      And one of Obama's EOs is causing a lot of problems today, DACA. If Congress would just put it into law the problem would go away. But for decades now, congress has been a hindrance to good government. They are so obstructionist. I think it is because they don't have term limits and they somehow think they are American Royalty.
      Obama made it clear when he issued that EO that he was doing it solely because Congress was not acting, and he felt the alternative was unacceptable. In other words, he felt the best solution would have been Congressional action. Second best was an EO. Third best was doing nothing at all.

And apparently it has a certain amount of legal weight, because Trump was recently ordered to preserve DACA until Congress acts.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        Right, because Trump is doing things we like...
        Well THAT's refreshingly honest.

Interestingly, Obama was doing many things I liked...so go figure...
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Yeah - that's the usual response...

Obama made it clear when he issued that EO that he was doing it solely because Congress was not acting, and he felt the alternative was unacceptable. In other words, he felt the best solution would have been Congressional action. Second best was an EO. Third best was doing nothing at all.

And apparently it has a certain amount of legal weight, because Trump was recently ordered to preserve DACA until Congress acts.
          Trump has been using the EO for the same reasons. He can't get congress to do anything.

Of course EOs have legal weight.

And Trump has been trying to get congress to act on DACA too. They won't. they are holding it hostage to get what they want from Trump.

Comment

Trump has been using the EO for the same reasons. He can't get congress to do anything.

Of course EOs have legal weight.

And Trump has been trying to get congress to act on DACA too. They won't. they are holding it hostage to get what they want from Trump.

So Trump is using EOs for the same reasons that Obama was using EOs, is issuing more of them than Obama, but somehow when the issue of presidential power comes up, Obama's use of EOs is highlighted and Trump's is not?

Do you find this an unbiased view?

Comment

Well THAT's refreshingly honest.

Interestingly, Obama was doing many things I liked...so go figure...
              We always give our guy the benefit of the doubt...
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

So Trump is using EOs for the same reasons that Obama was using EOs, is issuing more of them than Obama, but somehow when the issue of presidential power comes up, Obama's use of EOs is highlighted and Trump's is not?

Do you find this an unbiased view?
                I didn't complain about Obama's use of EOs. I just pointed out that he overused his presidential power just like you accused Trump of doing.

Originally posted by Carp
                And his election may serve a larger good - showing us the dangers of putting too much power in the presidency, and perhaps finally showing us the futility of putting such an amazingly inept person in the highest office in the land.
                Originally posted by Sparko
                As far as too much presidential power, don't forget Obama and his Pen!

Comment

I didn't complain about Obama's use of EOs. I just pointed out that he overused his presidential power just like you accused Trump of doing.
                  Ahh... I see. It was a "what about..." post...

Comment

We always give our guy the benefit of the doubt...
                    Oh I know THAT. It's just unusual to have someone admit of being partisan in that process.

Comment

Oh I know THAT. It's just unusual to have someone admit of being partisan in that process.
                      I hate when people claim not to be partisan when they obviously are.

Comment

I am not partisan!

Comment

Who claimed to not be partisan?

Comment

I am not partisan!
                            I can attest to that...

Comment

I can attest to that...
                              I don't even like partisan cheese. it's too crumbly.

Comment

I am not partisan!
                                No you are a pirate - that is different!

Comment