Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Repeal and replace the second amendment with what exactly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
    I still have not heard what counts much as sensible

What calibers? What laws? Granted i am happy we came to an important common ground, namely the importance of rights and human life.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

It is a natural right. And I don't care if you believe me. The only one being stupid here is you. But that is to be expected.
      It is not a "natural right" to own a gun. It's up to society to determine what the best firearm regulations are for a given society. But, given the unparalleled violence resulting from by the current firearm regulations in the USA, you've a way to go compared to every other country in the developed world.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I don't see how any single restriction on gun control would violate the Second Amendment.
        This is just missing forest for trees, like Sparko said libs take bit by bit, then '''''''''suddenly'''''''' you are at 'bake my cake!!' or worse.
        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

I want no bickering or name calling. I want to know what people have in mind for this. What laws do you propose?
          Just keep it.

Progs freak out now and then, but numbers are not on side of theirs. Maybe they will pull Supreme Court nonsense to get what they want, like with homo-'''''''''marriage''''''''''.
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
            This is just missing forest for trees, like Sparko said libs take bit by bit, then '''''''''suddenly'''''''' you are at 'bake my cake!!' or worse.
            Irrelevant. I am referring to what is legally permissible, not what is likely to result.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I still have not heard what counts much as sensible

What calibers? What laws? Granted i am happy we came to an important common ground, namely the importance of rights and human life.
              There is no common ground. Ted Nugent recently compared Democrats to rabid coyotes that should be shot on site. That doesn't seem like a respect for human life. And this isn't just some random guy; he's actually one of the top board members of the NRA!
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

There is no common ground. Ted Nugent recently compared Democrats to rabid coyotes that should be shot on site. That doesn't seem like a respect for human life. And this isn't just some random guy; he's actually one of the top board members of the NRA!
                IIRC Ted Nugent has apologized. Meanwhile on the left not only are apologies extremely scarce[1] since such remarks are typically defended as either free speech or as a "joke," those who say them are often lauded as heroes.

1. And when made are often latter retracted such as Kathy Griffins'.
                Last edited by rogue06; 04-15-2018, 10:34 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  IIRC Ted Nugent has apologized.
                  He has not apologized. Joke or not, such statements should be disqualifying for the board member of a group in such a powerful position of controlling public discourse, especially when said organization is trying to promote a narrative of protecting public safety. However, the NRA has not even disavowed the comments.

And honestly, I don't care about these tu quoques here. I'm not defending the left side of anything here either. I want to address these specific comments.
                  Last edited by KingsGambit; 04-15-2018, 10:35 AM.

Comment

He has not apologized. Joke or not, such statements should be disqualifying for the board member of a group in such a powerful position of controlling public discourse, especially when said organization is trying to promote a narrative of protecting public safety. However, the NRA has not even disavowed the comments.

And honestly, I don't care about these tu quoques here. I'm not defending the left side of anything here either. I want to address these specific comments.
                    You're right. This was new. It was for previous remarks he apologized.

Still, you have very few examples on the right of such behavior whereas on the left you have to decide how to organize the long list.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Still, you have very few examples on the right of such behavior whereas on the left you have to decide how to organize the long list.
                      I'm not trying to make any broader point about the right wing, just about the NRA here because of implications from various posts that they are a positive actor for promoting a respect from human life. My argument is that this is not the case if they have a guy like this on their board and look the other way when he actually makes comments about shooting political opponents on sights.

Comment

Irrelevant. I am referring to what is legally permissible, not what is likely to result.
                        He's not talking about the latter, either...
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

We're right because we have fewer jerks?

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            We're right because we have fewer jerks?
                            Hogg seems like a jerk to me, but hey that isbt really an arguement.
                            sigpic

Comment

I just don't understand the point of rogue's post. It's a pure tu quoque that isn't even relevant since I'm not defending the left wing as a whole.

I don't begrudge Hogg for any perceived poor behavior; he's been the brunt of far worse than anything he's said. He's a kid and not particularly mature.
                              Last edited by KingsGambit; 04-17-2018, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I just don't understand the point of rogue's post. It's a pure tu quoque that isn't even relevant since I'm not defending the left wing as a whole.

I don't begrudge Hogg for any perceived poor behavior; he's been the brunt of far worse than anything he's said. He's a kid and not particularly mature.
                                If he is a kid why does he expect to be treated as an adult?
                                sigpic

Comment