Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Repeal and replace the second amendment with what exactly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
    “The Federalist”!!!
    The genetic fallacy!!!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      The genetic fallacy!!!
      isn't it closer to poisoning the well fallacy?
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        isn't it closer to poisoning the well fallacy?
        Maybe. They're closely related.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          Funny, I would say our societies have gotten vastly more moral over the years.
          The blind leading the blind. Funny you seem to end up just the opposite of what you claim.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            If no citizen carries guns (as per Australia) then no citizens need to defend themselves from guns.
            If a few criminal citizens carries guns then all the other citizens need to be able to defend themselves from guns.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              If a few criminal citizens carries guns then all the other citizens need to be able to defend themselves from guns.
              If a few criminal citizens carry guns than it is statistically improbable that the vast majority of people would ever encounter those criminals when they are armed. Therefore, the vast majority of people arming themselves in defense of those few criminals would be irrational.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                If a few criminal citizens carry guns than it is statistically improbable that the vast majority of people would ever encounter those criminals when they are armed. Therefore, the vast majority of people arming themselves in defense of those few criminals would be irrational.
                Do you believe the US should get rid of ALL of it's nuclear weapons even though most countries do not have them?
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  Do you believe the US should get rid of ALL of it's nuclear weapons even though most countries do not have them?
                  It's not an equivalent situation since the US interacts with countries with nuclear arms regularly.

Nonetheless, yes I do, because I believe our economic and political ties are a greater deterrent and our de-escalation would incentivize others to do the same.

Comment

That's not the situation in Australia with it's strict gun laws. The most recent government report on crime trends in Australia says, “Homicide in Australia has declined over the last 25 years. The current homicide incidence rate is the lowest on record in the past 25 years.”
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

The blind leading the blind. Funny you seem to end up just the opposite of what you claim.
                      Not at all! The more citizens acquire full equal rights in society, the more equitable, just and moral that society will be.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                        That's not the situation in Australia with it's strict gun laws. The most recent government report on crime trends in Australia says, “Homicide in Australia has declined over the last 25 years. The current homicide incidence rate is the lowest on record in the past 25 years.”
                        As the late Paul Harvey used to say, "And now, the REST of the story..."

Source: The Australian Gun Ban Conceit

(Sept 2015) At the same time Australia was banning guns and experiencing a decline in gun homicides, America was more than doubling how many firearms it manufactured and seeing a nearly identical drop in gun homicides. That throws a bit of a wrench into the idea that Australia’s gun ban must be the reason for its decline in gun crime.

[...]

[Furthermore,] according to the Australian government’s own statistics, a number of serious crimes peaked in the years after the ban. Manslaughter, sexual assault, kidnapping, armed robbery, and unarmed robbery all saw peaks in the years following the ban, and most remain near or above pre-ban rates. The effects of the 1996 ban on violent crime are, frankly, unimpressive at best.

It’s even less impressive when again compared to America’s decrease in violent crime over the same period. According to data from the U.S. Justice Department, violent crime fell nearly 72 percent between 1993 and 2011. Again, this happened as guns were being manufactured and purchased at an ever-increasing rate.

The Australian gun ban’s effect on suicide in the country isn’t any better. While Vox repeats the Harvard study’s claim that firearm-related suicides are down 57 percent in the aftermath of the ban, Lifeline Australia reports that overall suicides are at a ten-year high. The Australian suicide prevention organization claims suicide is the leading cause of death for Australians 15 to 44 years old. So, while Australians kill themselves with firearms less often, it seems they don’t actually take their own lives any less often than before the ban.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/09/03/...n-ban-conceit/

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Funny how the people who most want to get rid of guns have no actual experience with guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Funny how the people who most want to get rid of guns have no actual experience with guns.
                            Most of whom get their knowledge about them from what they've seen in movies and TV shows.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Most of whom get their knowledge about them from what they've seen in movies and TV shows.
                              Six shooters that can shoot about 30 shots.

They want to ban AR15's because they decided a semi-automatic .22 was an assault weapon because it looked scary. They passed laws based on how the guns LOOKED!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                Six shooters that can shoot about 30 shots.
                                Did you say you want a 30 shot revolver? No problemo! roguetech has ya covered

30 shot revolver.jpg 30 shot revolver2.jpg 30 shot revolver3.jpg

They said it couldn't be done!

They said we were mad for even trying!

Well, look who's laughing last at the shoe on the other foot now.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment