Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Y'hoshua and I were chrismated today!

  1. #11
    tWebber Ana Dragule's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Peklo, somewhere in the West...
    Faith
    Armo/Copticish
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    511
    Amen (Given)
    158
    Amen (Received)
    124
    Congrats!
    I am become death...

  2. #12
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45,526
    Amen (Given)
    9775
    Amen (Received)
    22046
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    It's a big responsibility. I'm the godparent for a couple guys.
    Does that involve anything proactive? I mean, is it just for when they need counseling or something, or is there an ongoing mentoring or discipling element?

    (And how come Theologyweb doesn't know the word "discipling"? )

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  3. #13
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,574
    Amen (Given)
    5415
    Amen (Received)
    10417
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Does that involve anything proactive? I mean, is it just for when they need counseling or something, or is there an ongoing mentoring or discipling element?

    (And how come Theologyweb doesn't know the word "discipling"? )
    Well, I recommend books to read, and I've offered to spend time with them at a monastic retreat. I've helped them with establishing a prayer rule. If I don't see them at church for an unusual length of time, I'm responsible for reaching out to them and seeing if there's something wrong I can help with. Much of the burden of counseling/discipling falls on the priest, who hears their confession and is thus in a better position to know what they need, but I freely answer questions to the best of my ability.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  4. #14
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45,526
    Amen (Given)
    9775
    Amen (Received)
    22046
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Well, I recommend books to read, and I've offered to spend time with them at a monastic retreat. I've helped them with establishing a prayer rule. If I don't see them at church for an unusual length of time, I'm responsible for reaching out to them and seeing if there's something wrong I can help with. Much of the burden of counseling/discipling falls on the priest, who hears their confession and is thus in a better position to know what they need, but I freely answer questions to the best of my ability.
    Thanks

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  5. #15
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Next to you
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,228
    Amen (Given)
    1491
    Amen (Received)
    3967
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post

    (And how come Theologyweb doesn't know the word "discipling"? )
    I think JP Holding recommended not using it because it gets associated with cult tactics.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  6. #16
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45,526
    Amen (Given)
    9775
    Amen (Received)
    22046
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I think JP Holding recommended not using it because it gets associated with cult tactics.
    Ah, interesting. Not necessarily understandable, but interesting.


    ETA: Not using the word? Or not allowing it to be in the vocabulary of Tweb as a proper word?

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  7. #17
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Next to you
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,228
    Amen (Given)
    1491
    Amen (Received)
    3967
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Ah, interesting. Not necessarily understandable, but interesting.


    ETA: Not using the word? Or not allowing it to be in the vocabulary of Tweb as a proper word?
    This is the page I was thinking of: http://www.tektonics.org/af/discipoops.php
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •