Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

And Now They Come For Your Speech...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    You want to be able to propagate stories without bothering to check whether they are true, and without giving any indication that they might not be.
    Of course, it is called freedom of speech. I certainly do not want the government dictating the rules - do you?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Of course, it is called freedom of speech. I certainly do not want the government dictating the rules - do you?
      The next step is state-run news organizations that only publish "approved" stories, which is to say government propaganda.

Let's bring his home to low-info liberals like Roy: Would you want Trump, or any other president, dictating what stories about himself are allowed to be published?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Would you want Trump, or any other president, dictating what stories about himself are allowed to be published?
        Wait! I have to think about this...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Some demand freedom of speech so that they can expose the truth. Some so that they can spread lies.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Some demand freedom of speech so that they can expose the truth. Some so that they can spread lies.
            Do you really want the government determining what is and is not lies? If you need to think about it then consider that right now it would be the Trump Administration determining what is and is not "Fake News" (that ought to cause a few liberal hearts around here to skip a beat )

ETA: I see MM has already raised this specter.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Do you really want the government determining what is and is not lies?
              Nothing I've said suggests any such thing. Nor does the cited article. There is a vast difference between private news publishers verifying their stories themselves vs the government declaring what is true.
              ETA: I see MM has already raised this specter.
              Congratulations on becoming as stupid and paranoid as he is.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Right, and?

Comment

Nothing I've said suggests any such thing. Nor does the cited article. There is a vast difference between private news publishers verifying their stories themselves vs the government declaring what is true.
                  No, no it is not when the government tells you how to manage your publications. It is a first step, and it is none of the government's business - period...

Comment

Are you really this naive? Who do you think it is that will be enforcing the proposed rules, and how, exactly, do you suppose they will enforce them?

Comment

From the opening post:

The sad part is that there [are] probably leftists on this site [who] will agree.
                      And here's Roy defending and even applauding what is essentially government censorship.

Comment

So the government wants the power to decide what is or isn't "fake news". What's the worst that could happen?

Source: China Suspends Four News Apps for ‘Fake News’ and ‘Vulgar Content’

Chinese authorities have reportedly suspended four popular news apps from the country’s Android store in an attempt to tighten control over the spread of news and information.

The South China Morning Post reports that state regulators demanded that four news services including Toutiao, Phoenix News, NetEase News, and Tiantian Kuaibao remove their downloading services by 3 p.m. on Monday afternoon.

The move is reportedly an attempt by authorities to “regulate order in the broadcasting environment” as the Chinese Communist Party (CPC) seeks to clamp down on all possible political dissent and spreading of negative information.

http://www.breitbart.com/national-se...ulgar-content/

© Copyright Original Source

Oh...

Comment

And here's Roy defending and even applauding what is essentially government censorship.
                          I called it, leftists are so unoriginal...

Comment

I called it, leftists are so unoriginal...
                            Don't worry, seer, government censorship is for our own good.

Source: ‘Problematic’ Phrases ‘British Values’, ‘Islamist’ Banned in the Classroom by Political Correctness-Obsessed SNP

The Scottish National Party (SNP) has been slammed over guidance which claims that supposedly “offensive” terminology like “British values” could inspire terror attacks.

“The concept [of British values] can cause offence and could play into the hands of groups who seek to assert that there is an inherent conflict between being British and being Muslim”, Scottish teachers have been told. Defending the move, a spokesman said using the “wrong” words in the classroom could “amplify the rhetoric used by terrorists and violent extremists.”

UK Security Minister Ben Wallace accused Education Scotland of “putting PC [politically correct] politics before children’s safety” when the directive — which stresses the “importance of using appropriate and accurate” terms when discussing terror — came to light at the weekend.

Drawn up in partnership with the Scottish government, the Education Scotland document provides what it calls an “overview” of language which should and should not be used during classroom discussions on terror attacks and violent extremism, reports The Sun.

Featuring a list of terms divided into columns labelled “safe” and “problematic”, the Holyrood guide urged teachers to “think carefully before selecting the right words”.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2018...re-new-terror/

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

You're a liar, MM. I have done no such thing. I think the proposal cited in the OP is unworkable.

If you think I have defended and applauded it, quote what I wrote, rather than what your paranoid fantasies have added.
                              Last edited by Roy; 04-10-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment

News is by definition new information that is published to inform the public - if the the public ( the social media sites) has to know whether this previously unknown information is true or not then they are being asked to be omniscient

Comment