Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

FBI raids Trump lawyer Michael Cohen's office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    Muellars investigation was never limited to collusion.
    That's a large part of the problem, he was essentially given no limitations in what he was allowed to pursue. In fact, he was appointed without a crime even being specified, which is against the rules for appointing a special counsel!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      That's a large part of the problem, he was essentially given no limitations in what he was allowed to pursue. In fact, he was appointed without a crime even being specified, which is against the rules for appointing a special counsel!
      Its not what he is allowed to pursue, its where the investigation takes him. Besides, what's your problem, Muellar turned this evidence over to the appropriate authority, a Trump appointed republican atty general. It was this Atty general, Geoffrey Berman, Trumps appointee, who executed the search of Cohen's office and homes. What's the matter, are you afraid the truth might come out?

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
        ...are you afraid the truth might come out?
        The Mueller investigation was never about finding the truth.

Comment

I've read some interesting analysis that Mueller is trying to goad Trump into firing him. He knows he can't carry on this sham indefinitely, and he knows the president is clean, but to save face, he's stepping way outside of his bounds in the hope that Trump will cut him off at the knees, and then liberals everywhere will start screeching "Obstruction of justice! Obstruction of justice!" right up through November.

Comment

The Mueller investigation was never about finding the truth.
            So what are you afraid of? Surely you don't believe that Trump and his entourage of crooks and frauds are all about the truth!

Comment

I've read some interesting analysis that Mueller is trying to goad Trump into firing him. He knows he can't carry on this sham indefinitely, and he knows the president is clean, but to save face, he's stepping way outside of his bounds in the hope that Trump will cut him off at the knees, and then liberals everywhere will start screeching "Obstruction of justice! Obstruction of justice!" right up through November.
              Perhaps that tin foil hat is on a little to tight MM.

Comment

Alan Dershowitz

Comment

Lavrentiy Beria, the head of Stalin's secret police, once said, "Show me the man, and I'll find you the crime."

Dirty Cop Mueller seems to be operating under the same pretense, and low-info liberals are cheering him on.

Comment

Again, Alan Dershowitz has been a Trump apologist since day one. Getting a warrant to search an attorneys office is a high bar to get over, and you must have very convincing evidence of a crime. It also needs be scrutinized and approved by a Federal Judge. That's why Trump is losing his mind over it and criticizing the FBI. Dershowitz knows nothing illegal was done here, but he doesn't say that does he. He's a Trump apologist.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      No Mueller could not simply subpoena the information, because the discovery of the evidence was outside the limits of his investigation, He was obligated to turn over the evidence to the Attorney General and the FBI, and they would make the decisions as to what legal actions will follow, and that is exactly what happened. What Mueller did was simple the responsibility of every citizen of the USA.

Trump has other problems, like $150,000 payment in Russia by a Russian oligarch for a 20 minute speech during his election campaign.
                      I don't think the emphasized part is right. Mueller has a very wide net to cast. His mandate is to investigate the 2016 Russian interference, but also to follow up on anything else that surfaced during his investigation, and anything else consistent with 28 C.F.R. 600.4(a). That part deals with jurisdiction and reads:

The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall be established by the Attorney General. The Special Counsel will be provided with a specific factual statement of the matter to be investigated. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall also include the authority to investigate and prosecute federal crimes committed in the course of, and with intent to interfere with, the Special Counsel's investigation, such as perjury, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, and intimidation of witnesses; and to conduct appeals arising out of the matter being investigated and/or prosecuted. (source)

So the second part of his mandate empowers him to follow up on any other potentially legal activity uncovered during the course of his investigation. The payment of $130K that Trump claims not to be aware of but occurs within the context of a campaign raises all sorts of questions about where the money came from, whether Cohen acted legally, etc.
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You might want to read the letter appointing him.
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

That does not seem to be in line with the history of the man. There have been 22 indictments (so far), so clearly they are finding things that are legally questionable or simply flat-out illegal. The primary focus of his mandate was "Russian involvement in the 2016 election," which now has been well documented. Trump isn't even mentioned in the letter. Mueller has also publicly stated that Trump remains a focus of investigation (as the candidate in an election in which Russia has involved itself), but that he is not a criminal target.

The bluster from the left is that Trump is crooked and Mueller will "get him." The bluster from the right appears to be hype that Mueller is "out to get" Trump and there is apparently enough fear that he might find something that they are working real hard to discredit him at every turn.

Mueller has a long, established, reputation as an honorable man who cannot be bought. Until I have cause to think otherwise, I think I'll let the man do his job.

Comment

I believe we still live in a country where the Constitution must be observed, and the 4th Amendment prohibits what you are accusing. As far as I know, such a raid would have to be accompanied by a warrant which would have to be granted by a court which would have to be shown "probable cause" in order to issue it. I have no reason to believe that did not happen. Do you?

The rest (e.g., if it was Clinton) is pure speculation. I have no response.

Comment

Lavrentiy Beria, the head of Stalin's secret police, once said, "Show me the man, and I'll find you the crime."

Dirty Cop Mueller seems to be operating under the same pretense, and low-info liberals are cheering him on.
                              I see you've adopted Trump's VERY mature practice of adding labels to people's names. I find no evidence that Mueller is a "dirty cop." It is a shame that such a man is disparaged for political reasons when every indication is that he has always done his job and done it with honor and integrity.

We're anyone to take such posts seriously, I believe the correct term would be "libel."

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                I see you've adopted Trump's VERY mature practice of adding labels to people's names. I find no evidence that Mueller is a "dirty cop." It is a shame that such a man is disparaged for political reasons when every indication is that he has always done his job and done it with honor and integrity.

We're anyone to take such posts seriously, I believe the correct term would be "libel."
                                You've got to remember that MM basically spits out what the echo chamber feeds him, his critical thinking skills, if they ever existed, had long ago died and been buried. You don't come up with "dirty cop" for Mueller through thoughtful analysis.

Comment