Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which type of test was your favorite in school?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
    Four hour oral exams in front of a committee with a board behind me to show my proofs.
    PROOFS, you say!

(I just watched The Man Who Knew Infinity)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      PROOFS, you say!

(I just watched The Man Who Knew Infinity)
      Haven't seen it, but the noise is it's better than Good Will Hunting. I studied number theory with another of Hardy's students, who was also a veteran of the Bletchley Park crew.

Comment

Four hour oral exams in front of a committee with a board behind me to show my proofs.
        You have always impressed me as someone who at the mere mention of the word "test" gets a, in the words of Chris Matthews, "thrill going up [your] leg." All with perfect hair of course.

You were the guy who, not only blew the curve for everyone, but really enjoyed doing it, weren't you?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Haven't seen it, but the noise is it's better than Good Will Hunting. I studied number theory with another of Hardy's students, who was also a veteran of the Bletchley Park crew.
          It was actually pretty interesting, and made me want to know more about maths.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            All with perfect hair of course.
            Of course.

You were the guy who, not only blew the curve for everyone, but really enjoyed doing it, weren't you?
            Competition can be fierce in grad school. Ten students in a grad course, and all of them are competing with you for one of the extremely limited summer term teaching assistantships.

Until you're the only one walking out with an A.

It wasn't enjoyable. It was necessary.

Blowing out the curve as an undergrad was a lot more satisfying.

Comment

Essays were my chance to shine, but even more so research papers.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Essays were my chance to shine, but even more so research papers.
                Research papers were my favorite. Sitting at the kitchen table with both Colliers and Britannica along with several library books.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Research papers were my favorite. Sitting at the kitchen table with both Colliers and Britannica along with several library books.
                  You knew them both personally?

Comment

I once had to write a research paper while underway on a submarine (was taking a distance writing course). That was an interesting challenge.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I once had to write a research paper while underway on a submarine (was taking a distance writing course). That was an interesting challenge.
                      It's not the writing, it's the submission. Nothing makes them sit up and take notice like pinning your paper on an ICBM.

Comment

This is where homeschooling really paid off for my youngest daughter. During High School, she was required to do research papers, and properly source them, format, and all that good stuff that I used to know how to do. She actually used the local Junior College library as her prep room. So, when she started college, it was 'business as usual' to turn out quality research papers - no sweat!

I remember in my case, first day of college.... "so, THIS is the library.... ", and a significant learning curve on just how to utilize it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          This is where homeschooling really paid off for my youngest daughter. During High School, she was required to do research papers, and properly source them, format, and all that good stuff that I used to know how to do. She actually used the local Junior College library as her prep room. So, when she started college, it was 'business as usual' to turn out quality research papers - no sweat!

I remember in my case, first day of college.... "so, THIS is the library.... ", and a significant learning curve on just how to utilize it.
                          Probably cause when you went to college the only library was in Alexandria so it's understandable you were familiar with 'em.

Comment

Algebra test, where you solve the problem and show how you solved it.
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                              Algebra test, where you solve the problem and show how you solved it.
                              My astrophysics tests, which were word problems. Pull out the salient facts, derive the requisite equations, and provide a numerical response, using trigonometry and calculus as necessary - no calculators allowed.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

When I first saw this thread, I was hoping it was about cricket.

Comment