Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 77 of 77

Thread: TPP - And Trump Idiocy

  1. #71
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,077
    Amen (Given)
    22
    Amen (Received)
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Just because I'm bored, I'm going to connect the dots:

    Dimbulb posted a source which purported to be a direct quote from Trump, saying, "Don't care if we kill civilians, totally fine to kill civilians, and we're done we're out of there now." (For those keeping score at home, this is X.)

    When Sparko asked for a source to prove the quote, you immediately jumped in to defend Dimbulb saying, "Presumably, since part of this was apparently a Fox and Friends interview, there is footage."

    After a couple more exchanges with Sparko, you finally pointed to a source which you claimed was evidence supporting the quote in question despite the glaringly obvious fact that the cited article explicitly quoted Trump as not saying it but saying something entirely different. (For those keeping score at home, this is not-X.)

    You then absurdly claimed that even though your source quotes the President as explicitly not making the statement in question, that it somehow "lends credence" to the assertion that he did say it.

    So the original claim is X. You presented a source that demonstrated not-X yet insisted that this somehow lent credence to X. But being a post-modernist, such a blatant contradiction in logic probably doesn't even give you pause.
    OK, so with respect to the bolded portion, I really think you would benefit from a course in basic logic MM. The article does indeed quote a different statement. We'll call this "Statement Y" and the original statement "Statement X." So the linked article provides evidence that Trump said Statement Y. The article clearly affirms that Statement Y was spoken. It says nothing about Statement X. That could be because Statement X was never said, or it could be because they lacked space and chose Statement Y to report on instead, or it could be because someone thought Statement Y fit into the narrative of the article better. But it does not PROVE "Not X."

    That being said, given the nature of Statement X and the nature of Statement Y, if I were a reporter, I would jump on the claimed Statement X rather than Statement Y, so I DO think that its absence in this article is evidence that Statement X was never said.

    The entire focus of my posts on this has been to hold "evidence" and "proven" to their proper place. When we do not believe or do not like the evidence, or when the evidence fails to prove a case, that does not make it "not evidence." It makes it inadequate evidence. Anything that provides some insight as to whether something did or did not occur is "evidence." When the defense (or prosecution) fails to make their case, that does not mean there was "no evidence," it means the evidence failed to convince and/or was overshadowed by evidence for the other side. And "proven" is too often used for things that are merely speculation and guesswork. Claiming it is NOT speculation and guesswork doesn't make it so.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

    -Martin Luther King

  2. #72
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,801
    Amen (Given)
    3691
    Amen (Received)
    18602
    Carpe, Please delete your last post to me since you said I could have the last word.

    This idiotic tactic of yours needs to stop. You can't deal with the debate so you pretend to run away while taking the high ground and giving your opponent the last word. Yet you never can follow through. It's pretty sad.

    Along with your propensity to never admit that you are wrong and trying every way imaginable to rationalize yourself and wiggle out of any commitment to a position.
    Last edited by Sparko; 04-17-2018 at 01:15 PM.

  3. #73
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,828
    Amen (Given)
    4539
    Amen (Received)
    4283
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Along with your propensity to never admit that you are wrong and trying every way imaginable to rationalize yourself and wiggle out of any commitment to a position.
    He's a classic post-modernist, so I suspect he considers this sort of thinking to be reasonable and rational. If he can define himself out of error then that's what he'll do even if he has to mangle the English language to do it, because in his mind, words can mean whatever you want them to mean at any given moment.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  4. #74
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,801
    Amen (Given)
    3691
    Amen (Received)
    18602
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    He's a classic post-modernist, so I suspect he considers this sort of thinking to be reasonable and rational. If he can define himself out of error then that's what he'll do even if he has to mangle the English language to do it, because in his mind, words can mean whatever you want them to mean at any given moment.
    I just have zero respect for people who can't own their own statements and positions and have to keep obfuscating what they mean.

  5. #75
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,077
    Amen (Given)
    22
    Amen (Received)
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Carpe, Please delete your last post to me since you said I could have the last word.
    Nah. That would deprive you of a chance to pick on me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    This idiotic tactic of yours needs to stop. You can't deal with the debate so you pretend to run away while taking the high ground and giving your opponent the last word. Yet you never can follow through. It's pretty sad.
    Actually - I have followed through several times. But you are right that I am not perfect at it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Along with your propensity to never admit that you are wrong and trying every way imaginable to rationalize yourself and wiggle out of any commitment to a position.
    Your perspective is duly noted. Since I have acknowledged error on several instances, you're wrong...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

    -Martin Luther King

  6. #76
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,801
    Amen (Given)
    3691
    Amen (Received)
    18602
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Nah. That would deprive you of a chance to pick on me.
    Challenge accepted!


    Actually - I have followed through several times. But you are right that I am not perfect at it.
    Only if you redefine "not perfect" as "completely horrible"


    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe "I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken" dm9587
    Your perspective is duly noted. Since I have acknowledged error on several instances, you're wrong...

  7. #77
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,077
    Amen (Given)
    22
    Amen (Received)
    786
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Challenge accepted!
    Color me surprised...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Only if you redefine "not perfect" as "completely horrible"
    Hey - I'm about 50/50...



    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

    -Martin Luther King

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •