Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Do you defend Trump's infidelity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Honestly, I've been out of the loop since they shut down their Facebook discussion group out of some philosophical objection to its setup so I've only heard bits and pieces; little enough I couldn't confidently give a blow by blow account.
    If they can't manage an FB group, how's this 'everybody builds a section of road' idea supposed to work?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      All other things being equal, we're on the same page. Our disagreement seems to primarily concern who we think it is acceptable to vote for. Your characterization of Trump is, in my opinion, ill-informed and mean-spirited,
      Okay. I feel like the evidence is in my favor but one could go another way, I suppose.

but I'm not going to judge you for it, and in the same spirit, I would caution you not to judge others simply because they disagree with your opinion. It's a nasty political trick to question someone's faithfulness to Christ because you think they voted for the "wrong" person.
      If I'm wrong, I think you should judge me for it. Isn't that part of our job as Christians? To sometimes ask other Christians, "What the heck are doing? You're supposed to be a disciple." Again, my politics and my faith aren't in separate baskets and don't get separate consideration. There shouldn't be a divide between my faith in Christ in church, at work, or, imo, in the voting booth.

fwiw,
      guacamole
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
        Okay. I feel like the evidence is in my favor but one could go another way, I suppose.

If I'm wrong, I think you should judge me for it. Isn't that part of our job as Christians? To sometimes ask other Christians, "What the heck are doing? You're supposed to be a disciple." Again, my politics and my faith aren't in separate baskets and don't get separate consideration. There shouldn't be a divide between my faith in Christ in church, at work, or, imo, in the voting booth.

fwiw,
        guacamole
        One doesn’t have to be religious to exercise ethical consistency, i.e. aligning one’s principles with one’s actions. This is something that the Evangelical supporters of Trump are conspicuously not doing by supporting this adulterous, lying charlatan. In so doing they have destroyed any claim to the moral high ground.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          One doesn’t have to be religious to exercise ethical consistency, i.e. aligning one’s principles with one’s actions. This is something that the Evangelical supporters of Trump are conspicuously not doing by supporting this adulterous, lying charlatan. In so doing they have destroyed any claim to the moral high ground.
          We're supporting the person whose policies we believed (and believe) would be best for the country.

We of course had other options. We could have voted for the baby-killing statist Hillary, who was maybe slightly less flawed in terms of personal morals. We could have voted for a relatively morally shiny third-party candidate who would have no chance of winning, and whose policies we were less in agreement with. We could have written in some hypothetical perfect candidate, again with no actual chance of winning. We could have abstained.

You guys really are in a great position: If a significant number of us had done any of those things, you would have won. As it is, you lost, but you get to sit in judgment of us because we did not live up to YOUR understanding of OUR standards.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            As it is, you lost, but you get to sit in judgment of us because we did not live up to YOUR understanding of OUR standards.
            They need consolation prize, to keep from too much.
            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
              If I'm wrong, I think you should judge me for it. Isn't that part of our job as Christians?
              Show where in the Bible it says that Christians should judge each other. The only verses I can recall off the top of my head are ones that caution us not to judge each other.

Although I suppose it would help if you defined exactly what you mean by "judge" since it's one of those words that seems to mean different things to different people. I would especially like to see some scriptural support for your general premise that those who vote for the (in your opinion) "wrong" candidate will be held accountable by God.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                In general, I agree; however, I noted that "as Christians" we have this job, because "as Christians," we supposedly agree to standards of conduct. I feel like I have less ground to critique an atheist who supports someone because we don't have the same moral starting point.
                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                Save me, save me"

Comment

Show where in the Bible it says that Christians should judge each other. The only verses I can recall off the top of my head are ones that caution us not to judge each other.

Although I suppose it would help if you defined exactly what you mean by "judge" since it's one of those words that seems to mean different things to different people. I would especially like to see some scriptural support for your general premise that those who vote for the (in your opinion) "wrong" candidate will be held accountable by God.
                  We will judge angels, but are instructed not to judge one another, "lest we be judged".
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    We will judge angels, but are instructed not to judge one another, "lest we be judged".
                    That verse is referring to judging someone hypocritically, but then Jesus goes on to say that after you've dealt with your own faults then you can help the other person see clearly, so even that doesn't seem to give us license to condemn each other.

I just want to know if guac has any scriptural backing to support his claim that God will judge us for who we vote for. I'm also curious about his implied accusation that those of us who don't agree with his politics are guilty of living compartmentalized Christian lives.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That verse is referring to judging someone hypocritically, but then Jesus goes on to say that after you've dealt with your own faults then you can help the other person see clearly, so even that doesn't seem to give us license to condemn each other.

I just want to know if guac has any scriptural backing to support his claim that God will judge us for who we vote for. I'm also curious about his implied accusation that those of us who don't agree with his politics are guilty of living compartmentalized Christian lives.
                      Which comes back to your question of what definition of "judge" Guac is using.

Essentially, we are to be fruit inspectors, not judges of each other. And, yes, we are to be accountable to each other.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

1 Corinthians 5:12
                        What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          1 Corinthians 5:12
                          What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?
                          But the Pastor, CP, contradicts your biblical quote with a biblical quote of his own. Which divinely inspired quote are we to believe? Could it be that perhaps Paul is a false prophet?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            But the Pastor, CP, contradicts your biblical quote with a biblical quote of his own. Which divinely inspired quote are we to believe?
                            Not surprisingly, you failed to catch the fact that the meaning of the word "judge" is important.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Not surprisingly, you failed to catch the fact that the meaning of the word "judge" is important.
                              Oooh, will you be so kind as to give us the spin, CP?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                But the Pastor, CP, contradicts your biblical quote with a biblical quote of his own. Which divinely inspired quote are we to believe? Could it be that perhaps Paul is a false prophet?
                                You are ignorant and unstable.

Comment