Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Do you defend Trump's infidelity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
    I don't follow you. Are you asserting we Christians don't have to use discernment? Paul could have been a political supporter of Nero? John the Baptist of Herod--so long as their positions on social issues lined up correctly? Can we support anybody without regard to their character then?
    Well, in this hypothetical situation where Nero and Herod were up for re-election, who were their opponents? One can never truly judge a candidate in a vacuum, one must know what the other choices are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      First of all, I don't defend Trump's "corrupt m0ral (sic) nature at every turn", so you can shove that lie where the sun doesn't shine.
      Keep the NAMBLA-supporting source in mind.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
        Well, in this hypothetical situation where Nero and Herod were up for re-election, who were their opponents? One can never truly judge a candidate in a vacuum, one must know what the other choices are.
        At some point, though... I mean, who's it going to take for you to prefer Nero?
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          At some point, though... I mean, who's it going to take for you to prefer Nero?
          Well, this question was posed with the supposition that his "social issues" would line up with that of the early Christians, which would logically mean he wouldn't have done things like killing said early Christians.

Comment

First of all, I don't defend Trump's "corrupt m0ral (sic) nature at every turn", so you can shove that lie where the sun doesn't shine. I will, however, defend him against baseless, political attacks, such as the lie that Trump is a serial liar.
            Um, “Obama born in Kenya”, “largest ever inauguration crowd size” to name but two Trump lies. Trump is a compulsive liar, it’s pathological.

I've seen those lists published in partisan rags like The Washington Post and The New York Times, and they're nothing more than smear jobs that deliberately take Trump's words out of context, or spin the original statement beyond all recognition so they can disingenuously call it a "lie".
            Well, MM, you would know all about "partisan rags".

As for Trump's admitted infidelity, no, I don't condone it, but neither am I going to pretend that it somehow makes him unfit to be President.
            Come now. “Trump-Loving Christians Owe Bill Clinton an Apology. Conservative evangelicals were unwilling to offer forgiveness to a Democrat who asked for it. But they have freely offered it to a Republican who doesn’t want it.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...pology/495224/

Heck, Jackie Kennedy was one of the most cheated on First Ladies in US history, but liberals treat JFK like he's a hero, even going so far as to excuse his serial adultery.
            It’s the hush money and legally dubious means of paying it that’s the main problem, not Trump’s odious sexual history.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Perhaps you should assume they're competing against each other.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                I appreciate your consistency, and I share your view expressed in a subsequent post that our lives ought not be compartmentalized, such that our faith is sandboxed away from all else.

Nonetheless, I am not convicted to live things out in the same fashion as you. I accept the reality that ours is not and never has been a "Christian" nation, and I can't expect to only vote for Christians, and "proper" ones at that. If I had convictions anywhere close to that, I would have to join the ranks of those believers whose consciences do not permit them to participate in the political process at all.
                It's getting close to non-participation for me. More and more I see the vast majority of politicians exhibiting the spirit of the Anti-Christ. Nevertheless, I respect other Christians convictions--that doesn't mean that I won't try to be persuasive, however.
                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                Save me, save me"

Comment

Again, it depends on what you mean by "support".
                  In the most casual sense, it means voting for. In a more strict sense, it might mean engaging in active persuasion for others to agree to and follow a given politician's policies.

Does voting for someone who's political and social ideology you agree with make you party to every sin that person has ever committed?
                  You aren't party to every sin the person has ever committed; however, you are party to policies they enact and abuses they commit thereafter, whether or not you support those in particular or not--especially when, like Trump, they have broadcast their wickedness well in advance. Therefore, for me, character is a concern--because I do not want to be party to those problems. If I cannot trust a politician with comparatively lesser things-like fidelity to a spouse-then why should I trust other oaths, including the oath of office, that they might have made. Character was a concern for me with the Clintons, and it is likewise a concern for Trump.

Trump is nakedly immoral. This doesn't mean that he is some how more honest than the Clintons--or any other politician who has endeavored to keep their sin out of the public view. It's that he is brazen. I think he has been, and will continue to be, even less beholden to traditional morality and decency than the "average" politician.

For me, I don't look for a perfect candidate; rather, I vote for the person who I think will do the most good in office. What else should I do?
                  For me, I'm tired of casting my lot in with the lesser of two evils.

fwiw,
                  guacamole
                  Save me, save me"

Comment

Or just refuse to support wickedness by not voting for it. We don't have to vote the for lesser of two evils. We choose to.
                    Save me, save me"

Comment

For me, I'm tired of casting my lot in with the lesser of two evils.
                      Have you considered third parties?

Comment

Have you considered third parties?
                        I'm part of a third party that's tearing itself apart right now
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Or just refuse to support wickedness by not voting for it. We don't have to vote the for lesser of two evils. We choose to.
                          Not voting for either is effectively voting for both.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            Not voting for either is effectively voting for both.
                            Briefly operating under the fiction that a single vote is meaningful in any way, you could say that voting for neither decreases both percentages in a way that decreases a mandate.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Can't we differentiate between Christians supporting non-Christian politicians like Trump (and, yes, Trump automatically qualifies as a non-Christian because he said that he never asked God for forgiveness, unless something has changed since then)
                              Libs like to have it both ways, 'Trump is immoral non-Christian!!!!', also holding non-Christian Trump to Christian standards at same time. Sad!
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                                Libs like to have it both ways, 'Trump is immoral non-Christian!!!!', also holding non-Christian Trump to Christian standards at same time. Sad!
                                Trump claims to be a Christian, so yes, it is fair to hold him to the standard of what he claims.

Comment