Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is fingerprint evidence faulty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Nicto Barada Klaatu!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I just hate it when you're SO right!
      But I love it when you admit this!
      βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
      ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Meanwhile, studies show that eyewitness identifications are wrong about half the time. That is, the eyewitness either picks the wrong person out of the lineup when the actual suspect is there, or picks someone out when the suspect isn't in the lineup at all. Half the time.

Comment

New Jersey Court Issues Guidance for Juries About Reliability of Eyewitnesses

Comment

I reviewed the article and a few other sources and concluded that fingerprint technology is still valid. The language of the degree of reliability using terms like 'impossible' and 'improbable' to describe the problem lack some specifics as to the nature of the problem in all human affairs and that is the fallibility of human judgment and the application of technology. Yes, there is a problem of evaluating very similar finger prints, but there is a lacking of specifics in the article where it has not been determined how often wrongful identities have effected legal cases. Where one of the most problematic issues of identity, eyewitness testimony, is a major issue and well documented that it is common where the wrong person has been convicted based 'eye witness' testimony not only as a matter of identity, but also the accurate recollection of events. The technology is available to evaluate fingerprints on a micro scale, and remove human error from the judgment process, which will likely eliminate the problem of errors in fingerprint identification.

The article on snow flakes does not address one issue, difference on the molecular scale between the two snow flakes. Snow flakes form around a dust particle, and it is very very unlikely that any two dust particles are the same. On a larger scale many things may look alike, but no they are not alike.

The bottom line is that there are many things that may be considered possible, but, 'What is the probability that they may occur?'
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-11-2014, 06:55 AM.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

There are some cases where fingerprint evidence is ambiguous or unusable, therefore all fingerprint evidence is worthless.

There are a few questions in historical geology that haven't been answered or are unanswerable, therefore all of historical geology is worthless "historical science".

Epistemological Nihilism.

LOL,

Santa

Comment

Oh, and NCIS stinks since Ziva left.

K54

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                  Oh, and NCIS stinks since Ziva left.

K54
                  You're not liking the new Chick?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not at all. Bad fit. Cute, wimpy, and whiny. Ziva had only one of those characteristics.

Comment

She is OK but the bad blonde hair dye job with thick black eyebrows is kinda distracting.

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                        Not at all. Bad fit. Cute, wimpy, and whiny. Ziva had only one of those characteristics.
                        I've only watched the show several times a couple of years ago (didn't even know she was gone), but you make some excellent points about Ziva.
                        βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                        ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                          I've only watched the show several times a couple of years ago (didn't even know she was gone), but you make some excellent points about Ziva.
                          I loved where MaGee told Ziva, "well, my parents raised me to be a gentleman, and YOUR parents raised YOU to be ... um.. a KILLER"
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            She is OK but the bad blonde hair dye job with thick black eyebrows is kinda distracting.
                            Ummm I went to school with a chap whose hair was naturally white blonde and his eyebrows were naturally thick and black.
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                              Ummm I went to school with a chap whose hair was naturally white blonde and his eyebrows were naturally thick and black.
                              I have someone at work like that. He is prematurely gray. But this girl on NCIS is obviously brunette - dunno, maybe it is supposed to be the style, but I find it distracting. But she is cute.

here she is as a brunette:

and as a blonde on ncis:

I think she looks better with dark hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                                You went to school with Inuyasha?

Sorry, couldn't resist...
                                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment