Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Comey and Misrepresentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comey and Misrepresentation

So, after all of the claims of MSM partisanship, ALL of the media outlets are sprouting headlines about Comey's statement concerning the fact that Hillary's election "was a factor" in his decision. Even our TIC (Tweeter in Chief - it just happens to be a great acronym... ), is on the bandwagon.

So what did Comey ACTUALLY say?

1) That he was explicitly asked if it was a factor before releasing his letter, and noted at the time that he responded, "it cannot be a factor, or we would be done.

2) Upon reflection, his concern was that Clinton might win and his NOT coming forward before the election would both a) undermine her presidency and b) open the FBI to claims of partisanship.

And what actually happened? Comey never released this information to the general public. That is a fiction. The letter was addressed to Congress, specifically to the chairs of the ranking oversight committees...all of whom were Republican. It was one (or more) of these chairs, recognizing the explosive political potential of this letter, that elected to leak the letter to the press and make the situation public. All of this is documented, and well substantiated by the available evidence.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Who, specifically, leaked?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Who, specifically, leaked?
      As far as I know, the leak from Congress was never personally identified. It was merely, "informed sources in Congress." Since the letter was sent to oversight committees, and specifically to the chairmen...?

But yes - at the end of the day - if I am going to accuse MM of speculation/guesswork in his posts, - then I have to acknowledge that do not know it was one of the Republican congressional chairmen. So I am speculating/guessing. But I find myself asking why ANY Democrat in Congress would have leaked such a letter...and it's hard for me to fathom a reason...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        As far as I know, the leak from Congress was never personally identified.
        EGGzackly. It could have been Comey or somebody on his team. He's not beyond leaking stuff for his own advantage.

It was merely, "informed sources in Congress." Since the letter was sent to oversight committees, and specifically to the chairmen...?
        So, speculation based on these mysterious "informed sources".

But yes - at the end of the day - if I am going to accuse MM of speculation/guesswork in his posts, - then I have to acknowledge that do not know it was one of the Republican congressional chairmen. So I am speculating/guessing. But I find myself asking why ANY Democrat in Congress would have leaked such a letter...and it's hard for me to fathom a reason...
        But that's a far cry from "All of this is documented, and well substantiated by the available evidence".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I didn't realize this was even a leak. As far as I know, it was an open letter, and at least according to Comey's book, he didn't intend for it to be a secret because he thought Hillary would win, and he didn't want to "taint" her presidency by making it seem like he had tried to hide something potentially damaging before the election. Of course Comey is an unreliable narrator, so take it with a shaker of salt.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I think they got the acronym letters in the wrong order. It should be F.I.B.

Comment

Speaking of Comey's misrepresentations, he and George Snuffleupagus just blew the doors off the dossier scandal. Comey acknowledged in a recent interview that he knew the dossier was nothing more than opposition research bought and paid for by Democrats (although he unconvincingly claims that he didn't know precisely which Democrats), but he deliberately withheld that information from the President and actively discouraged the President from expending resources to refute the false accusations (something along the lines of "Gee, Mr. President, I'd sure hate people to think we were investigating you.").

The big takeaway here is that Comey knew that the dossier was opposition research, paid for by members of the Democrat party, but he did no see fit to disclose this fact either to the President or to the FISA court. He's a real standup guy, ya know?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...anced-dossier/
              Last edited by Mountain Man; 04-16-2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

And it gets better: Clapper and Comey briefed President Obama about the dossier, and Obama encouraged them to withhold the information from President-Elect Trump. When Comey said that he would be the one to brief Trump, Obama gave Comey what he describes as a peculiar "Groucho Marx double eyebrow raise" which Comey took to mean "Good luck with that."

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...rump-election/

Oh, at the time he claims to have told Obama that the dossier was "sufficiently reliable", yet in his sworn testimony before Congress, he admitted that it was "salacious and unverified". Seems he can't keep his lies straight.
                Last edited by Mountain Man; 04-16-2018, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  And it gets better: Clapper and Comey briefed President Obama about the dossier, and Obama encouraged them to withhold the information from President-Elect Trump. When Comey said that he would be the one to brief Trump, Obama gave Comey what he describes as a peculiar "Groucho Marx double eyebrow raise" which Comey took to mean "Good luck with that."

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...rump-election/

Oh, at the time he claims to have told Obama that the dossier was "sufficiently reliable", yet in his sworn testimony before Congress, he admitted that it was "salacious and unverified". Seems he can't keep his lies straight.
                  Yet he wants us to think he is the last boy scout.

Comment

Comey more or less lost all credibility with me when he pulled the "no reasonable prosecutor" line - which was a clear over-stepping of his responsibility, whatever his take.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Comey more or less lost all credibility with me when he pulled the "no reasonable prosecutor" line - which was a clear over-stepping of his responsibility, whatever his take.
                      Loretta Lynch basically gave him the go-ahead to cross that line when she said she wold follow the FBI's recommendation on whether or not to indict Hillary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.33961e24ab1e

It was all a set-up to get Hillary elected. Lynch was hoping for a Supreme Court nomination from "Madam President", and Comey had his eyes on Attorney General.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Loretta Lynch basically gave him the go-ahead to cross that line when she said she wold follow the FBI's recommendation on whether or not to indict Hillary.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.33961e24ab1e

It was all a set-up to get Hillary elected. Lynch was hoping for a Supreme Court nomination from "Madam President", and Comey had his eyes on Attorney General.
                        Yeah right MM, that's why it most likely cost Hillary the election. Comey screwed up, he revealed the fact that Hillary was under investigation, but he didn"t reveal that Trump was under investigation at the same time. It looked as though, and Comey believed, that Hillary was going to win the election and he didn't want it to look as though the FBI was biased if the investigation of her wasn't revealed until after the election and she was found guilty. That was a mistake, and it was wrong, neither the investigation into Hillary nor the investigation into Trump should have been revealed until the investigation was over. That's protocol. But revealing it did damage to the Clinton campaign, while helping the Trump campaign, so I don't understand what all you conservatives are yapping about.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          EGGzackly. It could have been Comey or somebody on his team. He's not beyond leaking stuff for his own advantage.

So, speculation based on these mysterious "informed sources".

But that's a far cry from "All of this is documented, and well substantiated by the available evidence".
                          Your post made me wonder if I had been too broad with that final statement (which you quote above). In truth, I WAS too broad with it because I was speaking from memory, and my memory was that it was leaked from Congress without specifying who leaked it. So I should not have been so broad in that statement, given what I knew/remembered when I wrote it, and you were right to call me on it.

However, it turns out that my memory was wrong. After a bit of digging, it appears that the story wasn't "leaked," it was purposefully "announced" by one of the recipients of the letter: Chaffetz.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            I think they got the acronym letters in the wrong order. It should be F.I.B.
                            Yet another broadside against the men and women of law enforcement...

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              Yet another broadside against the men and women of law enforcement...
                              Just their leaders.

Comment