Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Comey and Misrepresentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Speaking of Comey's misrepresentations, he and George Snuffleupagus just blew the doors off the dossier scandal. Comey acknowledged in a recent interview that he knew the dossier was nothing more than opposition research bought and paid for by Democrats (although he unconvincingly claims that he didn't know precisely which Democrats), but he deliberately withheld that information from the President and actively discouraged the President from expending resources to refute the false accusations (something along the lines of "Gee, Mr. President, I'd sure hate people to think we were investigating you.").

The big takeaway here is that Comey knew that the dossier was opposition research, paid for by members of the Democrat party, but he did no see fit to disclose this fact either to the President or to the FISA court. He's a real standup guy, ya know?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...anced-dossier/
    At this point, it's probably useless to point out the spin here. But what the heck - might as well try.

1) Comey acknowledged that he knew the dossier was produced as a result of opposition research. The "nothing more than" was inserted by you. And let us not forget the dossier began as Republican opposition research during the primaries, and was only later taken up by the DNC.

2) The purpose of "opposition research" is to "dig up dirt" on the opposition. There is no reason to dismiss a document on the basis that it is "opposition research." That is the "genetic fallacy" in operation. The document stands or falls on its own merits.

3) Personally, I do not see why the origins of the dossier make a whit of difference if his goal is to warn the president-elect that a document exists that could do him damage. If he had withheld the existence of the dossier, that would be newsworthy. But the funding source?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Just their leaders.
      Yet that is not what you said. I accept that is what you meant, but the language from the right is regularly, and fairly consistently, broad-sweeping disparagement of the DOJ/FBI and I think such language is dangerous. It undermines the trust we have in our own law enforcement agencies. It is not even accurate to say that all of the leadership is lying, corrupt, or dishonest. Some leaders, I'm sure, are. McCabe appears to be one of those. But I have not found compelling evidence that ALL FBI/DOJ leadership is corrupt.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        EGGzackly. It could have been Comey or somebody on his team. He's not beyond leaking stuff for his own advantage.
        EGGzackly wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Yet that is not what you said. I accept that is what you meant, but the language from the right is regularly, and fairly consistently, broad-sweeping disparagement of the DOJ/FBI and I think such language is dangerous. It undermines the trust we have in our own law enforcement agencies. It is not even accurate to say that all of the leadership is lying, corrupt, or dishonest. Some leaders, I'm sure, are. McCabe appears to be one of those. But I have not found compelling evidence that ALL FBI/DOJ leadership is corrupt.
          I was making a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I was making a joke.
            You've made better...

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Yeah right MM, that's why it most likely cost Hillary the election. Comey screwed up, he revealed the fact that Hillary was under investigation, but he didn"t reveal that Trump was under investigation at the same time. It looked as though, and Comey believed, that Hillary was going to win the election and he didn't want it to look as though the FBI was biased if the investigation of her wasn't revealed until after the election and she was found guilty. That was a mistake, and it was wrong, neither the investigation into Hillary nor the investigation into Trump should have been revealed until the investigation was over. That's protocol. But revealing it did damage to the Clinton campaign, while helping the Trump campaign, so I don't understand what all you conservatives are yapping about.
              That Comey might have screwed up doesn't change the fact that he was clearly pulling for Hillary.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That Comey might have screwed up doesn't change the fact that he was clearly pulling for Hillary.
                Do tell. How was, at the end of the campaign, revealing an ongoing FBI investigation into Hillary, while at the same time not revealing the ongoing FBI investigation into Trump, clearly pulling for Hillary?

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                  Do tell. How was, at the end of the campaign, revealing an ongoing FBI investigation into Hillary, while at the same time not revealing the ongoing FBI investigation into Trump, clearly pulling for Hillary?
                  He has said that he expected Hillary to win, and he didn't want to taint her victory by making it seem like she got special treatment. He was trying to clear the decks of any potential scandals before she took office.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You know that his wife and all four daughters attended the Women's March the day after the inauguration, and were pulling for Hillary along with his son, right? He glowingly spoke of their participation. There's sort of a clue there, if you're willing to see it, which way Comey himself might have leaned.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

He has said that he expected Hillary to win, and he didn't want to taint her victory by making it seem like she got special treatment. He was trying to clear the decks of any potential scandals before she took office.
                      Yeah, Comey expected Hillary to win, just like most everyone else expected Hillary to win. And Comey didn't want to taint the election by making it look like the FBI witheld information detrimental to the Clinton campaign. In other words, instead of following protocol, like he did in Trumps case, he decided to placate the crazy conspiracy minded knuckleheaded republicans like you. As you can see, it didn't work, the knuckleheads are still complaining.

Comment

Yeah, Comey expected Hillary to win, just like most everyone else expected Hillary to win.

<hypocritical namecalling mere hours after castigating others for doing so snipped>
                        The evidence is clear that Comey did not have a mere expectation that Hillary would win.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          You know that his wife and all four daughters attended the Women's March the day after the inauguration, and were pulling for Hillary along with his son, right? He glowingly spoke of their participation. There's sort of a clue there, if you're willing to see it, which way Comey himself might have leaned.
                          You're nuts OBP. Yeah, I know all about his wife and daughters attending the womens march, and I know his wife was very sad that Hillary lost. I also have no doubt that Comey himself was pulling for Clinton. So what? What he did, did damage to the Clinton campaign and it helped the Trump campaign, it didn't help her.

Comment

The evidence is clear that Comey did not have a mere expectation that Hillary would win.
                            He didn't? What did he have, OBP?

Comment

He didn't? What did he have, OBP?
                              Took you two minutes to come up with a question you'd just answered? Gratuitous insult duly noted.
                              sigpic

Comment

Took you two minutes to come up with a question you'd just answered? Gratuitous insult duly noted.
                                What I wrote doesn't answer your assertion at all. You said that Comey had more than a mere expectation that Hillary would win. So, what did he have then? What are you talking about?

Comment