Page 1 of 108 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1071

Thread: Nobody Dies for a Lie

  1. #1
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,481
    Amen (Given)
    26
    Amen (Received)
    1087

    Nobody Dies for a Lie

    Many are the times I have heard that Christianity is to be believed because, "nobody would give their lives for a lie." Many of these same people then argue that climate change and the impact of fossil fuels is a myth - a lie.

    So what do you do with this?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  2. #2
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,174
    Amen (Given)
    1666
    Amen (Received)
    4447
    This isn't analogous to the claim being made about Christianity because the apostles were indisputably in a position to know whether or not they see Jesus after his death. For this analogy to work you would have to demonstrate that this lawyer was knowingly part of some big conspiracy to make up claims about global warming.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  3. #3
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,347
    Amen (Given)
    11581
    Amen (Received)
    24770
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Many are the times I have heard that Christianity is to be believed because, "nobody would give their lives for a lie." Many of these same people then argue that climate change and the impact of fossil fuels is a myth - a lie.

    So what do you do with this?
    I get a redirection page that doesn't look legit.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  4. #4
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,174
    Amen (Given)
    1666
    Amen (Received)
    4447
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I get a redirection page that doesn't look legit.
    It's an article about a lawyer who committed suicide to protest global warming.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  5. #5
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,347
    Amen (Given)
    11581
    Amen (Received)
    24770
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It's an article about a lawyer who committed suicide to protest global warming.
    Ah, thanks. Sounds like environmental wackyism to the extreme. Not quite the same as the deadly "reject Christ or die" ultimatum.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  6. Amen mossrose, Catholicity amen'd this post.
  7. #6
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,401
    Amen (Given)
    5554
    Amen (Received)
    5747
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Many are the times I have heard that Christianity is to be believed because, "nobody would give their lives for a lie."
    Not exactly right. What we say is that nobody would die for what they knew to be a lie. As the saying goes, liars make poor martyrs.

    As for the story you linked to, the guy committed suicide as a form of "protest", which in itself calls his mental competency into question, because rational people don't commit suicide.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God


    From "Fools Gold" by Petra

  8. #7
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,481
    Amen (Given)
    26
    Amen (Received)
    1087
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This isn't analogous to the claim being made about Christianity because the apostles were indisputably in a position to know whether or not they see Jesus after his death. For this analogy to work you would have to demonstrate that this lawyer was knowingly part of some big conspiracy to make up claims about global warming.
    I don't think so. The point is that people WILL die for something they fervently believe to be true. That claim does not attest to the truth of what they are dying for. It simply attests to the fervency of their beliefs.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  9. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
  10. #8
    tWebber carpedm9587's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,481
    Amen (Given)
    26
    Amen (Received)
    1087
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Not exactly right. What we say is that nobody would die for what they knew to be a lie. As the saying goes, liars make poor martyrs.

    As for the story you linked to, the guy committed suicide as a form of "protest", which in itself calls his mental competency into question, because rational people don't commit suicide.
    And knowingly saying something that will get you executed isn't a form of "suicide?"
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

    I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

  11. #9
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    53,347
    Amen (Given)
    11581
    Amen (Received)
    24770
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    And knowingly saying something that will get you executed isn't a form of "suicide?"
    Correct.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

  12. #10
    tWebber Mountain Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    United States
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,401
    Amen (Given)
    5554
    Amen (Received)
    5747
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    And knowingly saying something that will get you executed isn't a form of "suicide?"
    It is not. Suicide is a voluntary act. Being a victim of execution is, by definition, involuntary.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •