Page 1 of 108 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobody Dies for a Lie

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Nobody Dies for a Lie

Many are the times I have heard that Christianity is to be believed because, "nobody would give their lives for a lie." Many of these same people then argue that climate change and the impact of fossil fuels is a myth - a lie.

So what do you do with this?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This isn't analogous to the claim being made about Christianity because the apostles were indisputably in a position to know whether or not they see Jesus after his death. For this analogy to work you would have to demonstrate that this lawyer was knowingly part of some big conspiracy to make up claims about global warming.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Many are the times I have heard that Christianity is to be believed because, "nobody would give their lives for a lie." Many of these same people then argue that climate change and the impact of fossil fuels is a myth - a lie.

So what do you do with this?
    I get a redirection page that doesn't look legit.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I get a redirection page that doesn't look legit.
    It's an article about a lawyer who committed suicide to protest global warming.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It's an article about a lawyer who committed suicide to protest global warming.
    Ah, thanks. Sounds like environmental wackyism to the extreme. Not quite the same as the deadly "reject Christ or die" ultimatum.

6. Amen mossrose, Catholicity amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Many are the times I have heard that Christianity is to be believed because, "nobody would give their lives for a lie."
    Not exactly right. What we say is that nobody would die for what they knew to be a lie. As the saying goes, liars make poor martyrs.

As for the story you linked to, the guy committed suicide as a form of "protest", which in itself calls his mental competency into question, because rational people don't commit suicide.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This isn't analogous to the claim being made about Christianity because the apostles were indisputably in a position to know whether or not they see Jesus after his death. For this analogy to work you would have to demonstrate that this lawyer was knowingly part of some big conspiracy to make up claims about global warming.
    I don't think so. The point is that people WILL die for something they fervently believe to be true. That claim does not attest to the truth of what they are dying for. It simply attests to the fervency of their beliefs.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

9. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Not exactly right. What we say is that nobody would die for what they knew to be a lie. As the saying goes, liars make poor martyrs.

As for the story you linked to, the guy committed suicide as a form of "protest", which in itself calls his mental competency into question, because rational people don't commit suicide.
    And knowingly saying something that will get you executed isn't a form of "suicide?"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And knowingly saying something that will get you executed isn't a form of "suicide?"
    Correct.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It is not. Suicide is a voluntary act. Being a victim of execution is, by definition, involuntary.