Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nobody Dies for a Lie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    Wait, JimL is probably going to believe you....
    I think even JimL would pick up on the sarcasm involved there. He can't be as stupid as he comes across; IMO he just doesn't take us seriously enough to put much effort into his replies.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I think even JimL would pick up on the sarcasm involved there. He can't be as stupid as he comes across; IMO he just doesn't take us seriously enough to put much effort into his replies.
      So, in your opinion, why is he here?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          What a stunning rebuttal...
          Now there's irony for you.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Now there's irony for you.
            you keep using that word....
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              you keep using that word....
              ... and being perfect examples of it.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I quite disagree. The doctrines of the Trinity and Christology have implications which go quite beyond the theological arguments. This was a core part of the arguments of, for example, Athanasius of Alexandria and the Cappadocian Fathers for the orthodox position. A modern work which incidentally brings this out is Theological Dialogue Between Orthodox and Reformed Churches ed. T. F. Torrance (if you get it through ILL, you'd probably read the same copy I'm about to return, since I live about an hour west of you).
                You are correct. The implications do go beyond the argument of the simple nature of God and Jesus; however, the debate itself over whether scriptures (A), (B) or (C) proves Trinity or non-Trinity is quite prone to word games and author intent rather than a definitive answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Note: If you are a non-trinitarian you need to change your faith designation to unorthodox Christian.
                  Done.

Comment

He's got nothing better to do?
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

He's got nothing better to do?
                      I think there's gotta be more to it than that, but, who knows?

Comment

I think there's gotta be more to it than that, but, who knows?
                        A sense of smug superiority is not out of the question.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Or "heretic", then you could burn him at the stake like they did in the good ol' days. Wouldn't that be fun?
                          We haven't burned you yet.

The faith designations on tweb are only used to determine what areas a member can post in. You have been here long enough to know that.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Sparko, illogical nonsense doesn't become justified simply because you think it's biblical. You are using the bible to justify your belief in what you would otherwise recognize to be illogical nonsense. Even you acknowledge this in the above when you say: "This makes 3 persons in 1 god. It's hard to understand, but it is the only logical explanation of the various scriptures without going to 3 different gods, or saying that the bible contradicts itself."
                            Yes, it is hard to understand, and the reason it is so hard to understand is because it is not a logical explanation as you contend, it's hard to understand because it doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but if you are going to believe that Jesus is actually god then you are going to have to just throw your hands up in the air and say, well it's in the bible, so as ridiculous as it may seem, it must be so!
                            JimL. So you are just going to handwave away everything and repeat yourself as I knew you would. You like to complain that nobody takes the time to explain their beliefs to you and show you how you are mistaken when we claim you have it all wrong. So I did. I gave you a line by line logical layout of what the trinity is, why we believe it and where it is taught in the bible.

Your response was "duh! you said it was hard to understand! that proves I wuz right!"

Comment

A sense of smug superiority is not out of the question.
                              which, again, is more irony.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                which, again, is more irony.
                                Quite.

sigpic

Comment