Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nobody Dies for a Lie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Based on your experience within this universe.....

...which is my point....

Your entire argument assumes that this concept is true absolutely...but it is actually based on your causal experience within this universe....
    Would the word "reality" be a better word to use than "existence?" What do you consider to be uncaused? Even with an infinite set, series of connected causes with no first cause, it, that set, that series would have to, at the very least, be deemed uncaused.

This does not get me away from my personal knowing God (Like as if 2 Corinthians 5:17 or Romans 8:16 were never written).

And then there is the phenomenon of those who were even former professing Christians not really knowing the gospel of grace.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Surely it's the argument that matters.
      If it's not his original work, and it's not properly attributed, it's a violation of TOS. And, it's unethical. You're good with that?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Shuny - this looks familiar - is this your original work?
        Sorry for the limited reference. It was an very old Tweb thread post by a Jewish member using the handle "Goose." I refer to his posts sometimes, because he was very good at Hebrew translations of the texts. His posts were simply very matter of fact Hebrew translations of the Torah and Tanakh and the Jewish understanding of the text.

Nothing new nor controversial from the Jewish perspective. An English discussion of the same thing without the specific Hebrew translation can be found here: http://www.bibleandjewishstudies.net...ishmessiah.htm
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-30-2018, 11:29 AM.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Sorry for the limited reference. It was an very old Tweb thread post by a Jewish member using the handle "Goose." I refer to his posts sometimes, because he was very good at Hebrew translations of the texts.
          In my official capacity as a mod, might I kindly remind you to give proper attribution in the future? (And your apology seems to indicate you "get it")
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            For example the Jewish view of the Messiah

Hebrew description from a Jewish perspective

There is a large difference between the Hebrew word מוֹשִׁיעִים(One’s saving) and מָּשִׁיחַ (Anointed one) as we so see in the BDB.

מוֹשִׁיעִים is a derivative of yasha or rather…….

H3467
            ישׁע
            yâsha‛
            BDB Definition:
            1) to save, be saved, be delivered
            1a) (Niphal)
            1a1) to be liberated, be saved, be delivered
            1a2) to be saved (in battle), be victorious
            1b) (Hiphil)
            1b1) to save, deliver
            1b2) to save from moral troubles
            1b3) to give victory to
            Part of Speech: verb
            A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: a primitive root
            Same Word by TWOT Number: 929

That derivation is so shown in one of the plural forms of H4190 in Ps 68:20 in the KJV as “salvation’s” or “Saving acts”. This example pointing to the acts themselves and not the one doing, or being used, to perform the saving acts…….

H4190
            מושׁעה
            môshâ‛âh
            BDB Definition:
            1) saving act, deliverance
            Part of Speech: noun feminine
            A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: from H3467
            Same Word by TWOT Number: 929d

What we see in Neh 9:27 is מוֹשִׁיעִים which in this plural form points out those who are used for the purpose of performing act’s of physical salvation. Saving a people from the destruction of war, etc.

The word “Mashiach” which simply means “Anointed” is totally different as………

H4899
            משׁיח
            mâshîyach
            BDB Definition:
            1) anointed, anointed one
            1a) of the Messiah, Messianic prince
            1b) of the king of Israel
            1c) of the high priest of Israel
            1d) of Cyrus
            1e) of the patriarchs as anointed kings
            Part of Speech: noun masculine
            A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: from H4886
            Same Word by TWOT Number: 1255c

It denotes one who has been chosen. One can be anointed/chosen and not be so chosen to perform an act of saving but rather other acts like killing, etc.
            While very interesting, I'm not seeing the tie-in to Isaiah 9. Maybe you could put it together?

Meanwhile I did find this: Maimondes interprets Isaiah 9:6 as pertaining to the Messiah, though obviously he doesn't have Jesus in mind when writing this, and he doesn't see Mighty God as a reference to the Deity of Jesus, as he was basically showing how an imposter in Yemen was NOT the Messiah. (apparently the identity of this Apostate is in question)

He says in his Epistle to Yemen:

"How odd is your remark about this man, that he is renowned for his meekness and a little wisdom, as if these were indeed the attributes of the Messiah. Do these characteristics make him a Messiah? You were beguiled by him because you have not considered the pre-eminence of the Messiah, the manner and place of his appearance, and the marks whereby he is to be identified. The Messiah, indeed, ranks after Moses in eminence and distinction, and God has bestowed some gifts upon him which he did not bestow upon Moses, as may be gathered from the following verses: "His delight shall be in the fear of the Lord." (Isaiah 11:3). "The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him." (11:2). "And Righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins." (11:5). Six appellations were divinely conferred upon him as the following passage indicates: "For a child is born unto us, and a son is given unto us, and the government is upon his shoulder, and he is called Pele, Yoetz, el, Gibbor, Abiad, Sar-Shalom." (Isaiah 9:5). And another verse alluding to the Messiah culminates in the following manner "Thou art my son, this day have I begotten thee." (Psalms 2:7). All these statements demonstrate the pre-eminence of the Messiah."

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Epist...Yemen/Complete translation, english
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
              Would the word "reality" be a better word to use than "existence?"
              I am not sure word substitution improves the situation.

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
              What do you consider to be uncaused?
              I do not have an answer for this, other than "I don't know."

Even with an infinite set, series of connected causes with no first cause, it, that set, that series would have to, at the very least, be deemed uncaused.
              Again...based on what we know within this universe...agreed. However, when speaking of the universe itself, we do not know if this language even applies.

This does not get me away from my personal knowing God (Like as if 2 Corinthians 5:17 or Romans 8:16 were never written).
              That is for you to determine...not me.

And then there is the phenomenon of those who were even former professing Christians not really knowing the gospel of grace.
              I have no idea how this relates to the discussion.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I am not sure word substitution improves the situation.
                How would you describe it?

I do not have an answer for this, other than "I don't know."
                A thing has to exist in some way to be. Ultimately I cannot conceive of there not being an uncaused existence any more than I can conceive of absolute nothingness. It for me it is a logical necessity.

Again...based on what we know within this universe...agreed. However, when speaking of the universe itself, we do not know if this language even applies.
                Then the problem is one of language. Or worst yet, trying to explain what is not really understandable.

That is for you to determine...not me.
                Genuine Christians know God. The lost do not. The Christian NT teaches this.

I have no idea how this relates to the discussion.
                It has everything to do with one being able to know God.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

How would you describe it?
                  Describe what?

A thing has to exist in some way to be. Ultimately I cannot conceive of there not being an uncaused existence any more than I can conceive of absolute nothingness. It for me it is a logical necessity.
                  Logical? Causation is a property that arises from the function of our physical universe.

Then the problem is one of language. Or worst yet, trying to explain what is not really understandable.
                  Now you're getting it...

Genuine Christians know God. The lost do not. The Christian NT teaches this.
                  I'll leave that to you and your bible. That is not a basis for my beliefs.

It has everything to do with one being able to know God.
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Describe what?
                    The situation for which you argued, word substitution would not help. That is, "reality" for "existence."

Logical? Causation is a property that arises from the function of our physical universe.
                    You are referring to causation. I am referring to uncaused existence, which is not causation, but must be in order for there to be any kind of causation, ever.

Now you're getting it...
                    What ever it might be, it is contingent on being [existing, having a reality].

I'll leave that to you and your bible. That is not a basis for my beliefs.

Of course it is not. And you never understood it.

And it would seem that you do not want to.

Comment

The situation for which you argued, word substitution would not help. That is, "reality" for "existence."

You are referring to causation. I am referring to uncaused existence, which is not causation, but must be in order for there to be any kind of causation, ever.

The reality remains that Natural Laws and our possible eternal existence may possibly be "uncaused."
                      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Change "reality" for "existence" does not alter your problem about causation.

Here - try this: give me an example of causation that is NOT related to anything within this universe.

Actually, I am not automatically predisposed to reject things simply because they are in the bible. I accept many things in the bible in many ways. I accept a great deal of the history related there. I accept and value some of the common sense wisdom recorded there. I admire (and use) may of the teaching stories.

But before someone makes a claim that I need to accept "X" from the bible, they have to substantiate that the bible is an authoritative source for "X." Much of its history has been corroborated, so I accept those elements as such. Much of its wisdom dovetails with my own experience. Those things for which there is no basis - or at least none have been provided - I take with a grain of salt.

It may surprise you to know I still have my bible, and my breviary. They even occasionally get used!

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post

Burden of proof is on you!

ETA: You very well may have an argument for the messianicapologetics site, but not the other two.
                          Jews for Jesus can claim to be Jewish, but violates one of Maimonides' 13 Principles of Faith:

The days of the Messiah will come.
                          Source: https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...ples-of-faith/

Speaking only from an academic viewpoint, the chasm between Judaism and Christianity appeared towards the end of the first century/beginning of the second century CE/AD (whichever, I don't care either way).

The Byzantines claimed they were Roman, although as time progressed, they became less and less connected to the West.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
                            Jews for Jesus can claim to be Jewish, but violates one of Maimonides' 13 Principles of Faith:

Source: https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...ples-of-faith/
                            True, but Maimonides doesn't necessarily speak for all Jews.
                            Speaking only from an academic viewpoint, the chasm between Judaism and Christianity appeared towards the end of the first century/beginning of the second century CE/AD (whichever, I don't care either way).
                            Well, Judaisms. Pharisaic Judaism is pretty much all that survived the fall of Jerusalem, but the book of Acts indicates that they weren't the only branch hostile to followers of the Way.
                            The Byzantines claimed they were Roman, although as time progressed, they became less and less connected to the West.
                            The remnant of Byzantine Greeks living in Istanbul still call themselves Romaioi. They are, after all, descendants of the last remnant of the Roman empire, which fell in 1453.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Based on your experience within this universe.....

...which is my point....

Your entire argument assumes that this concept is true absolutely...but it is actually based on your causal experience within this universe....
                              This smells rather strongly of special pleading.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                This smells rather strongly of special pleading.

Comment