Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Nobody Dies for a Lie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Then I think you have not been looking. I have encountered MANY who claim that the martyrdom of the apostles is proof that the claims about Jesus are true (resurrection, miracles, etc.) because "no one would die for a lie." Evidence, maybe. Proof? No. There are simply too many other credible (IMO) possibilities.
    Having debated alternative theories for the Resurrection of Jesus, the apostles knowingly dying for a lie is easily the least incredible hypothesis.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
      Well D.E. is obviously the 2nd most intelligent TWebber.
      Third actually. And you're second...

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Having debated alternative theories for the Resurrection of Jesus, the apostles knowingly dying for a lie is easily the least incredible hypothesis.
        Who says it has to be knowingly?
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Who says it has to be knowingly?
          Isn't that the whole point? If they die for a lie unknowingly it isn't actually a lie.
          I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Then I think you have not been looking. I have encountered MANY who claim that the martyrdom of the apostles is proof that the claims about Jesus are true (resurrection, miracles, etc.) because "no one would die for a lie." Evidence, maybe. Proof? No. There are simply too many other credible (IMO) possibilities.
            Actually there is no sound evidence that the martyrdom of the apostles is any more of an historical reality than the the other fantastical stories in the bible anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              Isn't that the whole point? If they die for a lie unknowingly it isn't actually a lie.
              No, it just means they sincerely believed it. Somebody else could have been lying to them.

Like I said, it refutes only one particular argument against Christianity - that the apostles were a bunch of con men - but it doesn't prove anything beyond that. However, it does lead naturally to the question of WHY they sincerely believed it, and then we can analyze the evidence that was available to them.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                No, it just means they sincerely believed it. Somebody else could have been lying to them.

Like I said, it refutes only one particular argument against Christianity - that the apostles were a bunch of con men - but it doesn't prove anything beyond that. However, it does lead naturally to the question of WHY they sincerely believed it, and then we can analyze the evidence that was available to them.
                If it's a storybook, then the reason "why the apostles sincerely believed it," is because that was the intent of the authors.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  Actually there is no sound evidence that the martyrdom of the apostles is any more of an historical reality than the the other fantastical stories in the bible anyway.
                  You sort of have a point here, notwithstanding your a priori rejection of biblical events. The biblical manuscripts are much better attested and are closer in time to the events recorded in them than the accounts of the apostles' demise.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    True - it would dying for a mistake, or an incorrect perception. The point is, all of this falls, for me, into a "we don't know" bucket. There are lots of possible scenarios. Of all of them, the "Jesus was actually the son of god and was resurrected" is the least probable/plausible.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Well, I have to admit my church history studies are more than three decades behind me, but I seem to recall that there was extra-scriptural confirming evidence for at least some of those deaths. We do know a LOT of early Christian's were martyred, but the ones that are usually pointed to as "proof" that Jesus was resurrected and was god were the deaths of the original 12 apostles themselves. The argument was that they were witnesses to the events, so they would have known it was true/untrue.

Comment

True - it would dying for a mistake, or an incorrect perception. The point is, all of this falls, for me, into a "we don't know" bucket. There are lots of possible scenarios. Of all of them, the "Jesus was actually the son of god and was resurrected" is the least probable/plausible.
                        I'd like to put in a vote for

Jesus was an intelligent shade of blue in thrall to the Chinese deity water Ho-Sing that took on the form of 14 snake-tongued men (Jesus + 13 apostles) and bent space time around jerusalem to create apparent miracles wush advanced technology then ascended into the sky in a plastic bucket attached to a 20th century crane painted with invisibility ink while speaking fluent Iroquios via a universal translator shaped like a statue of Michtlantecuthli the god of bad spelling

as an even less probable/plausible explanation.
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

On the contrary; an incorrect perception is the least probable/plausible given the biblical texts. You're free to throw (portions) of those out, but then we're back to lying.

Roy's mockery is entirely a scenario built on silence, and so doesn't even merit consideration.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            On the contrary; an incorrect perception is the least probable/plausible given the biblical texts. You're free to throw (portions) of those out, but then we're back to lying.

Roy's mockery is entirely a scenario built on silence, and so doesn't even merit consideration.
                            He seems to be saying his own scenario is ridiculous if I'm reading him right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              He seems to be saying his own scenario is ridiculous if I'm reading him right.
                              Yes, he is. All I'm saying is that his scenario doesn't even appear on the scale from plausible to implausible; it's not really meant to be considered.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Nothing extraordinary or honorable about a mentally ill person committing suicide. Buckel deserves our sympathy, not our respect, and his death is in no way analogous to the crucifixion of Jesus.
                                Buckel is a modern counterpart of Jesus and you are like the Roman oppressor. He locates the current struggle. You mooch around in the memory of an old one.

There is a good article here:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-c...ed-lgbt-rights
                                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment