Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Progressive Christianity: 10 Commandments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive Christianity: 10 Commandments

Over at 'Canon Fodder' Michael Kruger has started a series on "The 10 Commandments" of progressive Christianity in response to a devotional by Richard Rohr. In short, he argues that liberal/progressive Christianity is not Christianity at all. I agree. I think liberal/progressive Christianity is untenable in light of basic biblical doctrine and worldview considerations.

I assume much of it will be elementary to seasoned believers, but it doesn't hurt to be refreshed in such matters.
    Last edited by Scrawly; 04-17-2018, 01:07 AM.

In 1923, J. Gresham Machen, then professor at Princeton Seminary, wrote the book, Christianity and Liberalism. ... So insightful is Machen’s volume, that it should be required reading certainly for all seminary students, pastors, and Christian leaders.
    Yeah, they should make today's Princeton University professors read it.
    When I Survey....

Comment

Especially with liberal Christianity's intrusion, a scholarly writer can have a hard time saying that something is being viewed from a 'Christian' perspective, since 'Christian' is used by so many groups.

I am inclined to speak of confessional Christianity, especially identifying something like adherence to the Apostle's creed. Even this can have wiggle room such that we speak of someone who holds to the creed(s) as a true belief without any reservations.

Comment

#4 is the one I'd question in that they appear to be both non-negotiable. The New Testament spends far more time discussing orthopraxy than orthodoxy.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          #4 is the one I'd question in that they appear to be both non-negotiable. The New Testament spends far more time discussing orthopraxy than orthodoxy.
          Many of the points in that list would be fine for all Christianity depending on the meaning ascribed to them. The problem is whether someone is willing to give up the truth of the gospel in order to do an action.

Orthopraxy is essentially tied to orthodoxy. You act properly because you understand things properly. The best example is evangelism which would be messed up if your doctrine was completely wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
            Many of the points in that list would be fine for all Christianity depending on the meaning ascribed to them. The problem is whether someone is willing to give up the truth of the gospel in order to do an action.

Orthopraxy is essentially tied to orthodoxy. You act properly because you understand things properly. The best example is evangelism which would be messed up if your doctrine was completely wrong.
            I agree with this, and that the occupational hazard of liberal Christianity is ignoring orthodoxy. I think the reverse is true but not quite as common.

When I first became a moderator, Dee Dee was in charge. I suggested that if a lack of orthodoxy could keep one of the Christianity areas on this site, a lack of orthopraxy should as well. She told me that idea was not worthy of consideration but I thought that was strange because of where the NT emphasis lies.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I suggested that if a lack of orthodoxy could keep one of the Christianity areas on this site, a lack of orthopraxy should as well.
              Does this include being self-righteous, holier-than-you lib???
              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                Many of the points in that list would be fine for all Christianity depending on the meaning ascribed to them.
                Eh, some of them would be fine with added caveats.
                From an Orthodox perspective, that would mean that any non-'high church' Protestant is far from orthodoxy indeed.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Eh, some of them would be fine with added caveats.

From an Orthodox perspective, that would mean that any non-'high church' Protestant is far from orthodoxy indeed.
                  They would say same thing about Orthodox, 'if you really love God why are you doing evangelism more?!'

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                    They would say same thing about Orthodox, 'if you really love God why are you doing evangelism more?!'
                    I suspect that, for once, you left out a word which would materially change the meaning of your sentence.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I suspect that, for once, you left out a word which would materially change the meaning of your sentence.
                      Good catch!!!

'If you really, really love God and life, also light that He gives, also fellow men, why aren't you doing evangelism more?!'

Comment

You do understand that those 10 commandments were not written by actual liberal Christians, right? If this was all true, we wouldn't spend so much time studying Scripture and doing theology. I think we all understand that what we do is based on what we believe. So beliefs are important.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                          Does this include being self-righteous, holier-than-you lib???
                          Probably not, but any reasonable definition of orthopraxy would exclude you.

Comment

Probably not, but any reasonable definition of orthopraxy would exclude you.
                            Let demi know when you stop lapping up of Fake News, then maybe it will be meaningful to talk about truth!

Comment