Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dems sue Trump, Russia, WikiLeaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    They seem remarkably non self-aware.
    I've read analysis suggesting that they know nothing can be proven against Trump beyond the reasonable doubt required in a criminal court, so they're trying to move the goalposts to the civil courts where they only need a preponderance of evidence, which they presumably think they have. They're also trying to prevent the statute of limitations from running out on several charges and are afraid of Mueller is going to come up empty handed, so they're trying to kick the can a little further down the road.

Of course once they realize everything they're going to have to give up during discovery, I suspect they'll be eager to drop the case.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      I guess they don't have faith in Mueller, or know it is over. Act of desperation?
      As firstfloor has already pointed out, in 1972 the DNC also sued, and the RNC ended up paying nearly 1 million in damages to them for the watergate breakin. Nixon was still forced to resign btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I've read analysis suggesting that they know nothing can be proven against Trump beyond the reasonable doubt required in a criminal court, so they're trying to move the goalposts to the civil courts where they only need a preponderance of evidence, which they presumably think they have. They're also trying to prevent the statute of limitations from running out on several charges and are afraid of Mueller is going to come up empty handed, so they're trying to kick the can a little further down the road.

Of course once they realize everything they're going to have to give up during discovery, I suspect they'll be eager to drop the case.
        Can you provide links to the stuff you have been reading?
        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          They seem remarkably non self-aware.
          The list in this posting was a real concern for Sanders, but it's hard to see how the RNC could claim damages. The fake dossier claim is, of course, nonsense, because it didn't start the investigation.

Civil suits have careful rules involving discovery. You can't just go trolling though information, releasing embarrassing things.

I'm sure if the DNC suit actually goes anywhere the RNC will counter-sue, but the threat described here isn't real. (I'm not so sure that threat implied by the DNC's suit is real either. They have the same constraints that I just described.)

Comment

Originally posted by hedrick View Post
            The list in this posting was a real concern for Sanders, but it's hard to see how the RNC could claim damages. The fake dossier claim is, of course, nonsense, because it didn't start the investigation.
            Whether or not the dossier started the investigation has nothing to do with it's legitimacy. It's legit!

I'm sure if the DNC suit actually goes anywhere the RNC will counter-sue, but the threat described here isn't real. (I'm not so sure that threat implied by the DNC's suit is real either. They have the same constraints that I just described.)
            That's what they said in 72 as well. No evidence that Nixon himself was involved. Turns out the DNC was right, it went all the way to the top and they pervailed in their suit. RNC paid nearly a mil in damages to the DNC which was a lot of doe in 72.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              Whether or not the dossier started the investigation has nothing to do with it's legitimacy. It's legit!
              Dammit Jim. I was drinking coffee when I read that. You owe me a new keyboard.

Comment