Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Exodus 31:17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exodus 31:17

Exodus 31:17 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
    17 It is a sign forever between Me and the Israelites, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, but on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.”

mechon-mamre.org

17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel for ever; for in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day He ceased from work and rested.'

The Complete Jewish Bible:

17Between Me and the children of Israel, it is forever a sign that [in] six days The Lord created the heaven and the earth, and on the seventh day He ceased and rested."

My question is why is the word "refreshed" in the first translation and what does it mean?

Thanks.

31:17 [ Hebrew Font Size: – / + | Toggle Font ] [ View in: LXX | Side-by-side ]
    It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made (8804) heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested (8804) , and was refreshed (8735) .

Byny Wbya Bny y&r(l (t hw( l)le Ky-$$t ymye )&h yhwh (t-h%mye w(t-

05314 Naphash
    (Niphal) to take breath, refresh oneself

http://classic.studylight.org/isb/bi...Perform+Search

Comment

Are you speaking of Anthropomorphism?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        31:17 [ Hebrew Font Size: – / + | Toggle Font ] [ View in: LXX | Side-by-side ]
        It is a sign between me and the children of Israel for ever: for in six days the LORD made (8804) heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested (8804) , and was refreshed (8735) .

Byny Wbya Bny y&r(l (t hw( l)le Ky-$$t ymye )&h yhwh (t-h%mye w(t-

05314 Naphash
        (Niphal) to take breath, refresh oneself

http://classic.studylight.org/isb/bi...Perform+Search
        That transliteration they give on that page is pretty horrible Someone did not have a Hebrew typeface.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X