Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Van Terror In Toronto...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Murder-target practice, same thing, CP
    I do target practice all the time, Jim - nobody dies. But I'll leave you to your foolishness.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I do target practice all the time, Jim - nobody dies. But I'll leave you to your foolishness.
      Yes, well, if you used a human body as your target then somebody would die. Stop being silly.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
        I agree, there is no need to put 18 bullets into a suspect after one or two bullets has already killed him and certainly has incapacitated them. So often it is reported suspect shot by police 16, 17, 18 times. It's simply target practice at that point.
        Your ignorance is showing again.

Here's what one anti-cop activist said after going through a police training exercise:

Source: Shoot or don't shoot: Police scenarios prove eye-opening for civil rights leaders

In another scenario, Quannel fired at a man during a routine traffic stop in which the suspect moved toward him, ignored an order to halt and reached behind his back

“I actually fired six times,” Quanell recalled. “I always questioned why officers fired so many shots in these situations. After going through the training, I think it’s very hard for an officer to know how many shots they fired when they are in the moment.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/15...s-leaders.html

© Copyright Original Source

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Your ignorance is showing again.

Here's what one anti-cop activist said after going through a police training exercise:

Source: Shoot or don't shoot: Police scenarios prove eye-opening for civil rights leaders

In another scenario, Quannel fired at a man during a routine traffic stop in which the suspect moved toward him, ignored an order to halt and reached behind his back

“I actually fired six times,” Quanell recalled. “I always questioned why officers fired so many shots in these situations. After going through the training, I think it’s very hard for an officer to know how many shots they fired when they are in the moment.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/15...s-leaders.html

And multiply that by multiple officers on the scene with no time to have a polite discussion about who fires first if the situation warrants a deadly fire response....
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            The difference is that the guns are there as a last resort, not to shoot the crap out of (sometimes perfectly innocent) people as per the USA...especially blacks.
            People carrying guns is a last resort too.

You have watched too many westerns.

Comment

I agree, there is no need to put 18 bullets into a suspect after one or two bullets has already killed him and certainly has incapacitated them. So often it is reported suspect shot by police 16, 17, 18 times. It's simply target practice at that point.
              When you have a criminal with a gun being faced by several police and is subsequently shot, you will have several guns all firing at once. Not to mention that in real life, people don't just fall over moaning when they are shot. Many times they just keep going for several minutes from the adrenaline before they will fall down unless the shot was fatal.

Comment

Since this happened 15 minutes from where i live, I figured I should report in and also clear some of the BS being spread

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                Fixed that for you.

From the information available at this stage, both the Toronto terrorist and the Waffle House shooter were white Christian right-wingers who had a history of mental issues.
                Incels are overwhelmingly atheist, like you. White spree killers in general are mostly atheists, like you.

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                If a Muslim did the same would you say the behavior was "anything but Muslim" given the world's 1 billion other Muslims weren't doing likewise?

Here's an article, but you should really learn to use google rather than getting me to do your research for you. It's a good life skill.

That article speculates on a possible motive:
                "His attack was done in a predominantly Iranian part of Toronto and comes on the anniversary of the Armenian genocide. [He was Armenian]"
                However, at this stage speculative motives should probably be taken with a grain of salt as the truth often doesn't come out until loooooong afterwards. (e.g. we didn't learn the truth about the Pulse Night Club shooting until the court case last month concluded, and we found out that almost all the speculation had been wrong)
                The article is wrong, the attack was not done in a predominantly Iranian part of Toronto. If he wanted to kill Iranians (who have nothing to do with the Armenian genocide anyway) he would've gone north of Finch, where the Iranian neighbourhood actually is. Instead he went south, passing through a Korean neighborhood before going on the rampage. Most likely he picked the area he targeted because it's a busy commerce center. Lots of stores and people with free time walking around, perfect set-up if you want a large body count.

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                Want to bet?
                He's already betting his soul. And he's not gonna like how that one turns out.
                "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                  Since this happened 15 minutes from where i live, I figured I should report in and also clear some of the BS being spread

Incels are overwhelmingly atheist, like you. White spree killers in general are mostly atheists, like you.
                  This is how Star and the article he posted came to the conclusion the guy was Christian:

Source: [url

https://gulfnews.com/news/americas/canada/deadly-toronto-van-driver-what-we-know-about-alek-minassian-1.2210589][/url]
                  Canadian media reported that Minassian is of Armenian origin, the vast majority of whom are orthodox Christians.

Guilt by association!

Comment

Never heard of incels until this story came out. Short for involuntarily celibate. Pathetic men who group together online to complain that women won't sleep with them. This is now two attacks from this group, can we treat them as a terrorist organisation yet?

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                      Never heard of incels until this story came out. Short for involuntarily celibate. Pathetic men who group together online to complain that women won't sleep with them. This is now two attacks from this group, can we treat them as a terrorist organisation yet?
                      Another nail in the coffin of SL (and that article he quoted) claiming the guy was "Christian."

Considering that Christians believe sex outside of marriage is a sin, I would doubt that any would be joining a group complaining they can't get any women to sleep with them.

And yeah they do sound pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        That's not what I'm saying at all as I'm sure you are aware. What I'm saying is that: "Black men are nearly three times as likely to be killed by legal intervention in the US than white men, according to the study, which was published in the American Journal of Public Health on Tuesday".

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/20/h...ice/index.html

This is NOT the situation one sees in Canada is the point I'm making, or for that matter in Australia, where guns are very much a last resort of the police.

It is interesting that you make a joke of racism, when clearly racism is a motivating force in the US.
                        That particular study flies in the face of several others that has revealed that a white person is considerably more likely to be shot by a police officer during a confrontation with law enforcement. It has got to the point that researchers are now trying to figure out why.

This was all brought up previously back when the rioting in Ferguson was going on.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Only one problem with that. Blacks who only constitute 13% of the population commit nearly 50% of the crime. So one can concluded that police confrontations are roughly equal. And yet, whites are more likely to be killed as a result of such a confrontation. This has been confirmed by research conducted at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice at the City University of New York, which shows that approximately 49% of those killed by officers from May 2013 to April 2015 were white, while 30% were black.

Likewise, a study by Washington State University-Spokane's Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology concluded that police "were less likely to erroneously shoot unarmed black suspects than they were unarmed whites — 25 times less likely" as well as "officers hesitated significantly longer before shooting armed suspects who were black, compared to armed subjects who were white or Hispanic."

ProPublica, which has won two Pulitzer Prizes (the first online news organization to win one) along with several other awards, conducted a similar study utilizing FBI data from 1980-2012 and came to similar conclusions.

PolitiFact looked into the claim and used statistics provided by the CDC and concluded that 2151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1130 blacks between 1999 and 2011.

Again, keep in mind, since blacks are essentially responsible for half of the violent crimes committed in the U.S. there is going to be roughly an equal number of confrontations. And if you believe the hype from black activists that blacks are far more likely (one claimed something like ten times more likely) to be stopped by the police, then blacks have more encounters with the police in total meaning that these statistics are even more startling.

I guess we should be expecting massive protests about how "White Lives Matter" any day now.

And the Washington Times recently ran this:

Source: Police kill more whites than blacks, but minority deaths generate more outrage

Nobel Prize-winning novelist Toni Morrison says she wants to see an officer shoot an unarmed white teenager in the back before agreeing that the “conversation about race” is over, but she almost certainly already has received her wish.

An analysis released last week shows that more white people died at the hands of law enforcement than those of any other race in the last two years, even as the Justice Department, social-justice groups and media coverage focus on black victims of police force.

Meanwhile, the deaths of whites at the hands of law enforcement typically receive less attention, even when the case is shrouded in controversy. For example, Gilbert Collar, an 18-year-old white student at the University of South Alabama, was shot and killed while naked, unarmed and under the influence of drugs by a black police officer.

The officer, Trevis Austin, was cleared of wrongdoing in 2013 by a Mobile County grand jury in a case that received little media coverage outside Alabama. Mr. Collar’s parents filed a federal lawsuit last year against the officer.

As researchers are quick to point out, FBI data on police shootings by race is notoriously incomplete, which may explain why Peter Moskos, assistant professor at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice at the City University of New York, decided to use figures from the website Killed by Police.

Based on that data, Mr. Moskos reported that roughly 49 percent of those killed by officers from May 2013 to April 2015 were white, while 30 percent were black. He also found that 19 percent were Hispanic and 2 percent were Asian and other races.

His results, posted last week on his blog Cop in the Hood, arrived with several caveats, notably that 25 percent of the website’s data, which is drawn largely from news reports, failed to show the race of the person killed.

Killed by Police lists every death, justified or not, including those in which the officer had been wounded or acted in self-defense.

“The data doesn’t indicate which shootings are justified (the vast majority) and which are cold-blooded murder (not many, but some). And maybe that would vary by race. I don’t know, but I doubt it,” Mr. Moskos said on his blog.

Adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown of the U.S. population, he said black men are 3.5 times more likely to be killed by police than white men. But also adjusted to take into account the racial breakdown in violent crime, the data actually show that police are less likely to kill black suspects than white ones.

“If one adjusts for the racial disparity in the homicide rate or the rate at which police are feloniously killed, whites are actually more likely to be killed by police than blacks,” said Mr. Moskos, a former Baltimore cop and author of the book “Cop in the Hood.”

“Adjusted for the homicide rate, whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks die at the hands of police,” he said. “Adjusted for the racial disparity at which police are feloniously killed, whites are 1.3 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.”

Mr. Moskos listed two possible reasons for the racial disparity. The first is that police assigned to largely black neighborhoods face “more political fallout when they shoot, and thus receive better training and are less inclined to shoot.”

The second is that police assigned to black communities with high crime rates are more accustomed to dangerous situations and thus are more likely to be able to resolve them without resort to lethal force.

Figures on police shootings by race are thin on the ground, but Mr. Moskos’s results have some support: The investigative journalism website ProPublica came up with a similar percentage in an Oct. 10 article, reporting that 44 percent of all those killed by police were white, using FBI data from 1980 to 2012.

The fact-checking website PolitiFact concluded in August 2014 that police kill more whites than blacks after the claim was made by conservative commentator Michael Medved. PolitiFact cited data from the Centers for Disease Control on fatal injuries by “legal intervention” from 1999 to 2011.

“Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks. In that respect, Medved is correct,” said PolitiFact.
                        But PolitiFact gave his assertion a “half true” rating because whites make up 63 percent of the population, while blacks make up just 12 percent.
                        “Yes, more whites than blacks die as a result of an encounter with police, but whites also represent a much bigger chunk of the total population,” PolitiFact said in its Aug. 21 post.

But PolitiFact did not take into account the percentage of those by race involved in violent crime or shootings of police, as Mr. Moskos did.
                        Despite the recent flood of media coverage involving police shootings, Mr. Moskos advised his readers to “keep all this morbidity in perspective,” reminding them that very few people, white or black, will ever be shot or killed by police.

“The odds that any given black man will shoot and kill a police officer in any given year is slim to none, about one in a million. The odds for any given white man? One in four million,” he said. “The odds that a black man will be shot and killed by a police officer is about 1 in 60,000. For a white man those odds are 1 in 200,000.”

Source

Wrt the last statistic, a recent study that a black person living in Chicago has an 1.13 in 1000 chance of being shot. Period. Funny how groups like Black Lives Matter and liberal politicians aren't up in arms (no pun intended) about this. But then they can't blame whites, or the police or give their typical knee jerk reaction of demanding stricter gun control since Chicago already has some of the toughest gun laws in the country.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          You beat me to it.
                          Great minds and all that

Hope you are doing well.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Great minds and all that

Hope you are doing well.
                            I am. Thanks.

Comment

You're only experience with someone being shot has been what you've seen on TV and in the movies, right? You know, where someone fires a shot and the person hit drops like a sack of potatoes on the spot dead as a door nail. Well let me tell you that why that can happen (usually with certain types of head shots), in most instances folks that have been shot -- even fatally -- tend to keep on going for awhile. Often more than long enough to get off several shots of their own. A shooting instructor I knew from way back once said that he long ago lost count of the number of people he knew who were shot by a "dead man."

I have personally witnessed someone shot multiple times in the center of the chest with high caliber rounds piercing the heart, continue stumbling forward, emptying the magazine in his own weapon before collapsing and dying.

I have a cousin who was shot and wounded while in Vietnam (the round penetrated his helmet but fortunately only grazed his skull requiring a couple dozen stitches) from someone who was shot multiple times by multiple soldiers, collapsed in a heap and presumed dead.

Police are trained not to draw their weapon unless lethal force is warranted. And if they have to shoot, they are trained to make sure that the target is completely nullified so that they no longer pose any risk to either the officer or anyone else. This is the reason (along with massive rushes of adrenaline) that police often empty their weapon into someone when they shoot.

ETA: After reading the other responses I see that nearly everything I noted had already been brought up.

Great minds again
                              Last edited by rogue06; 04-25-2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

So.

Are vans banned yet?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment