Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Van Terror In Toronto...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    They should just shoot to wound!!
    I agree, there is no need to put 18 bullets into a suspect after one or two bullets has already killed him and certainly has incapacitated them. So often it is reported suspect shot by police 16, 17, 18 times. It's simply target practice at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      I agree, there is no need to put 18 bullets into a suspect after one or two bullets has already killed him and certainly has incapacitated them. So often it is reported suspect shot by police 16, 17, 18 times. It's simply target practice at that point.
      I see by your post that you have no idea how quickly that many shots can be fired by someone pumped full of adrenaline.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        That turns the perpetrator into a victim who can then sue for damages. You're just trying to get your law firm more work!
        Ah, at that point they are called suspects, OBP, not perpetrators.

Comment

I don't think it's ever "target practice". I think, too often, there are multiple officers covering the scene, and they individually perceive a threat and respond - there's not time to say "ok, officer Wilson, you take the shot, and the rest of us will stand here and wait to see if you stop the guy". Better training is needed - in a SWAT situation, there's much more control, with a police sniper given a green light when appropriate to "take the shot".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ah, at that point they are called suspects, OBP, not perpetrators.
            In many situations, for example, the guy is coming out of a bank he just robbed, and hunkering down for a gunfight, it's more than obvious he's not just a "suspect", but, indeed, a perpetrator. A guy getting out of a car in a vehicle stop shooting at officers is not a "suspect" - he's a perpetrator.

per·pe·tra·tor
            noun: perpetrator; plural noun: perpetrators

a person who carries out a harmful, illegal, or immoral act.
            "the perpetrators of this horrific crime must be brought to justice"
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I don't think it's ever "target practice". I think, too often, there are multiple officers covering the scene, and they individually perceive a threat and respond - there's not time to say "ok, officer Wilson, you take the shot, and the rest of us will stand here and wait to see if you stop the guy". Better training is needed - in a SWAT situation, there's much more control, with a police sniper given a green light when appropriate to "take the shot".
              Really, never, CP?

Comment

Really, never, CP?
                Correct - never "target practice". That's just asinine. Show me the exception, and I'll gladly condemn it.

Comment

Correct - never "target practice". That's just asinine. Show me the exception, and I'll gladly condemn it.
                  Off the top of my head, the guy in Carolina shot in the back 8 times as he ran from officer at traffic stop.

Comment

Off the top of my head, the guy in Carolina shot in the back 8 times as he ran from officer at traffic stop.
                    You seriously call that "target practice"?

Comment

Ex-South Carolina police officer who killed Walter Scott sentenced to 20 years in prison

It was South Carolina, and the guy is no longer a cop - he's serving time for murder.

Michael Slager, the white former South Carolina police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black man in the back as he fled a traffic stop, was sentenced Thursday to 20 years in prison.

In a rare case of a law enforcement officer being imprisoned for an on-duty shooting, U.S. District Judge David Norton of the South Carolina District sentenced Slager after ruling that he committed second-degree murder when he shot 50-year-old Walter Scott in April 2015.

"This is the day that the Lord has made and I am rejoicing," Scott's mother, Judy Scott, said outside the downtown Charleston courthouse as she clutched a framed photo of her son. "My soul is rejoicing right now."

The killing was captured on video by a bystander, and civil rights leaders in South Carolina said it proved what many in the black community had long known — that officers used excessive force on African Americans when they thought no one was watching and tried to alter crime scenes to hide their misdeeds.

As promised, I hereby condemn this outrageous abuse of power by an ex-police officer. It was not, however, "target practice".

Comment

Ex-South Carolina police officer who killed Walter Scott sentenced to 20 years in prison

It was South Carolina, and the guy is no longer a cop - he's serving time for murder.

Michael Slager, the white former South Carolina police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black man in the back as he fled a traffic stop, was sentenced Thursday to 20 years in prison.

In a rare case of a law enforcement officer being imprisoned for an on-duty shooting, U.S. District Judge David Norton of the South Carolina District sentenced Slager after ruling that he committed second-degree murder when he shot 50-year-old Walter Scott in April 2015.

"This is the day that the Lord has made and I am rejoicing," Scott's mother, Judy Scott, said outside the downtown Charleston courthouse as she clutched a framed photo of her son. "My soul is rejoicing right now."

The killing was captured on video by a bystander, and civil rights leaders in South Carolina said it proved what many in the black community had long known — that officers used excessive force on African Americans when they thought no one was watching and tried to alter crime scenes to hide their misdeeds.

As promised, I hereby condemn this outrageous abuse of power by an ex-police officer. It was not, however, "target practice".
                        Wasn't target practice? What would you call it?

Comment

Nitpick: it was not an outrageous abuse of power by an ex-police officer. It was an outrageous abuse of power by a police officer.
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            Nitpick: it was not an outrageous abuse of power by an ex-police officer. It was an outrageous abuse of power by a police officer.
                            Correct.

Comment

Wasn't target practice? What would you call it?
                              Murder.

Comment

Murder.
                                Murder-target practice, same thing, CP

Comment