Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Van Terror In Toronto...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    So.

Are vans banned yet?
    Just backgrounds checks and a 3-day waiting period. And if you have children in the home, then you're required to attach a boot to it.

I wonder when the politicians will get serious and start cracking down on Assault Vans.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Just backgrounds checks and a 3-day waiting period. And if you have children in the home, then you're required to attach a boot to it.

I wonder when the politicians will get serious and start cracking down on Assault Vans.
      We got those!

Comment

I have personally witnessed someone shot multiple times in the center of the chest with high caliber rounds piercing the heart, continue stumbling forward, emptying the magazine in his own weapon before collapsing and dying.
        While I was not the officer doing the shooting, I pulled up on a scene where a man high on PCP had been battling police, and had been shot 5 times in the chest with .357 magnum rounds. My patrol car stopped just short of where this man was standing, and he reached down, grabbed the 'push bars' on the front of my patrol car, and lifted the front end of the car nearly off the ground, screaming curse words, blood spurting all over my hood from his chest, before finally falling dead to the ground. It is an image I will never forget.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          When you have a criminal with a gun being faced by several police and is subsequently shot, you will have several guns all firing at once. Not to mention that in real life, people don't just fall over moaning when they are shot. Many times they just keep going for several minutes from the adrenaline before they will fall down unless the shot was fatal.
          Stephon Clarke was shot 20 times, yeah thats right, 20 times, and he had no gun nor was he going anywhere, so stop with the nonsense. Cops shouldn't be aloud to shoot first and find out whether the suspect had a gun or not later. If that's to difficult for them, then they shouldn't be cops in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Stephon Clarke was shot 20 times, yeah thats right, 20 times, and he had no gun nor was he going anywhere, so stop with the nonsense. Cops shouldn't be aloud to shoot first and find out whether the suspect had a gun or not later. If that's to difficult for them, then they shouldn't be cops in the first place.
            They aren't (unless being threatened) but sometimes it isn't so easy to tell if they actually have a gun or it just appears to be one. and he was shot 8 times. a total of 20 shots was fired - that's 12 misses. That shows you how inaccurate gun fire can be in those situations and why they fire so many rounds.
            Last edited by Sparko; 04-25-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              While I was not the officer doing the shooting, I pulled up on a scene where a man high on PCP had been battling police, and had been shot 5 times in the chest with .357 magnum rounds. My patrol car stopped just short of where this man was standing, and he reached down, grabbed the 'push bars' on the front of my patrol car, and lifted the front end of the car nearly off the ground, screaming curse words, blood spurting all over my hood from his chest, before finally falling dead to the ground. It is an image I will never forget.

Yikes!
              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                They aren't (unless being threatened) but sometimes it isn't so easy to tell if they actually have a gun or it just appears to be one. and he was shot 8 times. a total of 20 shots was fired - that's 12 misses. That shows you how inaccurate gun fire can be in those situations and why they fire so many rounds.
                Apparently, one of the not so dirty secrets in police work is that a substantial percent of police wounded in shoot-out were hit by stray rounds fired by other officers. Nobody but an obvious socio/psycho-path would want several officers in widely different positions (and likely unaware of where at least a few others are) firing at a likely moving target in more than likely less than ideal lighting conditions -- especially in an environment surrounded by people.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Michael Brown continued to charge at Officer Darren Wilson even after being shot. It was the final headshot that dropped him.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Apparently, one of the not so dirty secrets in police work is that a substantial percent of police wounded in shoot-out were hit by stray rounds fired by other officers. Nobody but an obvious socio/psycho-path would want several officers in widely different positions (and likely unaware of where at least a few others are) firing at a likely moving target in more than likely less than ideal lighting conditions -- especially in an environment surrounded by people.
                    There's also the tunnel vision phenomenon, where you zero in on your target and can become oblivious to everything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      There's also the tunnel vision phenomenon, where you zero in on your target and can become oblivious to everything else.
                      That works both ways -- the guy robbing the convenient store, not realizing there's a uniformed police officer standing right behind him... Police officers are supposed to be trained to deal with that, but it's physiology nonetheless.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        That works both ways -- the guy robbing the convenient store, not realizing there's a uniformed police officer standing right behind him... Police officers are supposed to be trained to deal with that, but it's physiology nonetheless.
                        Or the guy who tries to waylay suspicion by asking for and filling out a job application before pulling a gun to rob the place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Or the guy who tries to waylay suspicion by asking for and filling out a job application before pulling a gun to rob the place.
                          My favorite one - from 'stupid criminals' - was the one where the guy went into the bank to rob it, wrote his 'hold up' note on the back of deposit slip, then noticed there was a security guard in that bank.

He left, took the note to the bank across the street, and slipped it to the teller. She read it, turned it over, then said, "I'm sorry, sir, but this deposit slip is from the bank across the street - you'll need to write your note on one of our own deposit slips." He got discouraged and left.

Yeah, probably didn't happen, but makes a great story.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            That particular study flies in the face of several others that has revealed that a white person is considerably more likely to be shot by a police officer during a confrontation with law enforcement. It has got to the point that researchers are now trying to figure out why.

This was all brought up previously back when the rioting in Ferguson was going on.
                            Again, this is NOT the point I’m making.

To repeat, the difference between Canada and places like Australia, where police fire their weapon only as a last resort (as per the example in Toronto where the perpetrator was not fired upon at all); in the USA police tend to shoot the crap out of people as their initial response. The examples are countless. E.g. “Stephon Clark, the unarmed black man shot by Sacramento police officers while holding a cell phone in his grandparent's backyard last week, was shot eight times, six of which hit him in the back”.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...ing-sacramento
                            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                              ...in the USA police tend to shoot the crap out of people as their initial response.
                              1dxet4.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                ... in the USA police tend to shoot the crap out of people as their initial response...
                                This is about as dumb as saying that police use humans for target practice.

Comment