Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Van Terror In Toronto...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
    The examples are countless. E.g. “Stephon Clark, the unarmed black man shot by Sacramento police officers while holding a cell phone in his grandparent's backyard last week, was shot eight times, six of which hit him in the back”.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...ing-sacramento
    First of all, the examples are not countless. You only think they are because the media only reports on a handful of high-profile controversial cases while ignoring the literally countless incidents that happen every day in which a police matter is settled peacefully.

Secondly, that VOX story doesn't paint a clear picture at all, but the reporter sure seems certain the police were in the wrong even though he admits 17-parapgraphs below the provocative headline that "Even with the release of the body camera footage, what happened immediately before Clark’s shooting remains unclear". It's also ironic that he name-checks Michael Brown to support the "racial disparity" narrative, despite the fact that the Brown case was a textbook example of a justified use of deadly force.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      First of all, the examples are not countless. You only think they are because the media only reports on a handful of high-profile controversial cases while ignoring the literally countless incidents that happen every day in which a police matter is settled peacefully.

Secondly, that VOX story doesn't paint a clear picture at all, but the reporter sure seems certain the police were in the wrong even though he admits 17-parapgraphs below the provocative headline that "Even with the release of the body camera footage, what happened immediately before Clark’s shooting remains unclear". It's also ironic that he name-checks Michael Brown to support the "racial disparity" narrative, despite the fact that the Brown case was a textbook example of a justified use of deadly force.
      But, but, but... "hands up don't shoot"... doesn't that count for ANYTHING?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        Again, this is NOT the point I’m making.

To repeat, the difference between Canada and places like Australia, where police fire their weapon only as a last resort (as per the example in Toronto where the perpetrator was not fired upon at all); in the USA police tend to shoot the crap out of people as their initial response. The examples are countless. E.g. “Stephon Clark, the unarmed black man shot by Sacramento police officers while holding a cell phone in his grandparent's backyard last week, was shot eight times, six of which hit him in the back”.

it was my understanding the Toronto suspect was demanding that the officer kill him. I don't think you want to cite an attempted suicide by cop.
        Last edited by DesertBerean; 04-26-2018, 10:02 AM.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Apparently, one of the not so dirty secrets in police work is that a substantial percent of police wounded in shoot-out were hit by stray rounds fired by other officers. Nobody but an obvious socio/psycho-path would want several officers in widely different positions (and likely unaware of where at least a few others are) firing at a likely moving target in more than likely less than ideal lighting conditions -- especially in an environment surrounded by people.
          Also, despite being shot 8 times (out of 20) Stephon managed to live for 10 minutes. Showing that you don't die instantly.

This was a tragedy, and still being investigated, but from what I read, he evaded the police then ran at them with something outstretched in his hand, which turned out to be a cell phone. It was dark and there was a lot of adrenaline on both sides. From what I read the police did nothing wrong. It was a prudent action based on the circumstances. After the investigation completes it might turn out to be otherwise. But it is a bad example for Jimmy to try to use to show police violence and not giving a crap.

Also, IF cops really ARE that incompetent and violent as Jimmy thinks, why is he OK with disarming citizens while leaving the police armed? That is what the gun control his party is proposing would do. I would think he would be wanting to arm more citizens to protect themselves from these evil cops.

Comment

Again, this is NOT the point I’m making.

To repeat, the difference between Canada and places like Australia, where police fire their weapon only as a last resort (as per the example in Toronto where the perpetrator was not fired upon at all); in the USA police tend to shoot the crap out of people as their initial response. The examples are countless. E.g. “Stephon Clark, the unarmed black man shot by Sacramento police officers while holding a cell phone in his grandparent's backyard last week, was shot eight times, six of which hit him in the back”.

And you want to make it illegal for citizens to have guns while keeping the cops that shoot them armed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              This is about as dumb as saying that police use humans for target practice.
              Were you surprised?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I might start a protest about banning vans.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  I might start a protest about banning vans.
                  Only white ones. Banning black vans would be racist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Only white ones. Banning black vans would be racist.
                    Colorist. Vans are anything but racy.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Colorist. Vans are anything but racy.
                      Cerdocar.jpg

I've known a few vans that were pretty racy inside smiley dirtyflirt.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        This is about as dumb as saying that police use humans for target practice.
                        You said yourself that it was murder CP, and murder for a cop is tantamount to using a human being for target practice. You don't have to make yourself look dumb in order to defend bad cops just because you used to be a cop.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]27534[/ATTACH]

I've known a few vans that were pretty racy inside [ATTACH=CONFIG]27535[/ATTACH]
                          Racism is about what's inside now?
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Racism is about what's inside now?

Bacon.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              First of all, the examples are not countless.
                              "Countless" as opposed to virtually none in nations like Canada and Australia; there is no equivalent to the "shoot 'em first, ask questions later", police violence that occurs in the USA. E.g. "14 high-profile police-related deaths of U.S. blacks".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/list-po...-usa-1.4438618

This BTW is the first site my search engine brought up.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

"Countless" as opposed to virtually none in nations like Canada and Australia; there is no equivalent to the "shoot 'em first, ask questions later", police violence that occurs in the USA.
                                'Blood-curdling screams' as man shot dead by police on Sunshine Coast
                                Mr Leavers said police were immediately confronted with the man upon getting out of their car.
                                "They didn't have time to negotiate, it happened within seconds," he said.
                                The pair responding to yesterday's incident included a constable in his first 12 months training and a senior constable of 10 years experience.
                                "It was a split second decision," Mr Leavers said.
                                He said both officers used their firearms when confronted with the domestic violence incident.
                                ...He was shot dead in the street by police when he lunged at the two officers brandishing some sort of weapon, with some media reporting it was a metal pole.
                                http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/b...c4b86f6b1ae649

Comment