Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Van Terror In Toronto...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    "Countless" as opposed to virtually none in nations like Canada and Australia; there is no equivalent to the "shoot 'em first, ask questions later", police violence that occurs in the USA. E.g. "14 high-profile police-related deaths of U.S. blacks".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/list-po...-usa-1.4438618

This BTW is the first site my search engine brought up.
    Would you be so kind as to point out which, if any, of the 14 examples backs up your outrageous "shoot 'em first, ask questions later" lie?

Thanks

And 14 is not "countless" - it's an actual number.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
      "Countless" as opposed to virtually none in nations like Canada and Australia; there is no equivalent to the "shoot 'em first, ask questions later", police violence that occurs in the USA. E.g. "14 high-profile police-related deaths of U.S. blacks".

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/list-po...-usa-1.4438618

This BTW is the first site my search engine brought up.
      So we've gone from "countless" to 14 to "This is the first thing I stumbled across in an internet search."
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Would you be so kind as to point out which, if any, of the 14 examples backs up your outrageous "shoot 'em first, ask questions later" lie?

Thanks

And 14 is not "countless" - it's an actual number.
        Tassy only has 10 fingers, CP.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Tassy only has 10 fingers, CP.
          That's 2 1/2 more than me!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            So we've gone from "countless" to 14 to "This is the first thing I stumbled across in an internet search."
            And, in NONE of those cases did the police walk up and shoot an innocent person. Not one.

Comment

That's 2 1/2 more than me!
              But I think you can count without using your fingers.

Comment

And, in NONE of those cases did the police walk up and shoot an innocent person. Not one.
                But they were black so that means they were innocent!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  When you have a criminal with a gun being faced by several police and is subsequently shot, you will have several guns all firing at once. Not to mention that in real life, people don't just fall over moaning when they are shot. Many times they just keep going for several minutes from the adrenaline before they will fall down unless the shot was fatal.
                  I'd love to see a study (just for grins) of the difference between incidents where the cops were armed with revolvers as opposed to semi-autos.

For the first 3 years of my police career, I carried a .357 Magnum Ruger Security Six - revolver carrying 6 live rounds. In "the heat of the moment", it's impossible to fire more than 6 rounds without reloading. Then we switched to 9mm Berettas. The first thing I noticed in live fire exercises was how EASY it was to fire more rounds than you intend, particularly right after the first round. The recoil of the handgun itself, coupled with the adrenaline coursing through your body, made the firing of the second and third rounds way too easy.

The instructor would call, for example, "three shots rapid fire - pause - three shots single fire...." And, invariably, somebody would fire more rounds than instructed. We were way more conscious of how many rounds we fired when we were firing double action.

I'm certainly NOT saying cops need to go back to double action revolvers - particularly in the current environment - but I wonder about that factor.

ETA: Also, I think we were considerably more accurate with the revolvers, because we knew we only had 6 initial rounds, and needed to make those count. When you can spray 15 or more rounds downrange, you just figure at least ONE of them will hit the target.
                  Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-27-2018, 09:36 AM.

Comment

I'd love to see a study (just for grins) of the difference between incidents where the cops were armed with revolvers as opposed to semi-autos.

For the first 3 years of my police career, I carried a .357 Magnum Ruger Security Six - revolver carrying 6 live rounds. In "the heat of the moment", it's impossible to fire more than 6 rounds without reloading. Then we switched to 9mm Berettas. The first thing I noticed in live fire exercises was how EASY it was to fire more rounds than you intend, particularly right after the first round. The recoil of the handgun itself, coupled with the adrenaline coursing through your body, made the firing of the second and third rounds way too easy.

The instructor would call, for example, "three shots rapid fire - pause - three shots single fire...." And, invariably, somebody would fire more rounds than instructed. We were way more conscious of how many rounds we fired when we were firing double action.

I'm certainly NOT saying cops need to go back to double action revolvers - particularly in the current environment - but I wonder about that factor.
                    The fact that revolvers are super cool must also be considered.
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      The fact that revolvers are super cool must also be considered.
                      I prefer my Ruger Security Six for competition shooting.

Comment

• I remember one of those cases and it is not as presented in the article. The case of Tamir Rice in Cleveland. Police had received calls about a man walking around pointing a gun at people. The police pulled up on the scene and ordered Rice to raise his hands. Instead of complying he grabbed the gun stuck in his waistband. At this point he was shot and killed. It all happened in less than 5 seconds.

The gun turned out to be one of those Airsoft toy guns but the orange parts that help make it clear that it was a toy had either been removed or covered over. The tragedy is that the originally 9-1-1 caller had told the police operator that he thought the gun might be fake but that part never made it to the responding officers.

IOW, hardly supportive of the case you are trying to make.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I remember one of those cases and it is not as presented in the article. The case of Tamir Rice in Cleveland. Police had received calls about a man walking around pointing a gun at people. The police pulled up on the scene and ordered Rice to raise his hands. Instead of complying he grabbed the gun stuck in his waistband. At this point he was shot and killed. It all happened in less than 5 seconds.

The gun turned out to be one of those Airsoft toy guns but the orange parts that help make it clear that it was a toy had either been removed or covered over. The tragedy is that the originally 9-1-1 caller had told the police operator that he thought the gun might be fake but that part never made it to the responding officers.

I skimmed through the article, being familiar with the vast majority of the "countless" [cough, sputter] 14 incidents, and they are all presented horribly "one-sided".

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            I remember one of those cases and it is not as presented in the article. The case of Tamir Rice in Cleveland. Police had received calls about a man walking around pointing a gun at people. The police pulled up on the scene and ordered Rice to raise his hands. Instead of complying he grabbed the gun stuck in his waistband. At this point he was shot and killed. It all happened in less than 5 seconds.

No biggie, his examples are still literally innumerable.
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              No biggie, his examples are still literally innumerable.
                              But that was only the FIRST of the countless articles on the countless shootings... wait, there's MORE!!!

Comment

ETA: Also, I think we were considerably more accurate with the revolvers, because we knew we only had 6 initial rounds, and needed to make those count. When you can spray 15 or more rounds downrange, you just figure at least ONE of them will hit the target.
                                Trying to shoot rapidly also messes up the accuracy because of the recoil. It's hard to line the shot back up after the gun barrel flies up in the air after every shot.

Comment