Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheists or Creationists - who's got more faith?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    No, you have engaged the dishonest practice of taking things out of context by selecting only a portion of what I wrote.

To wit, I wrote: "I wish to be informed of those beliefs so that when I come across their statements I am able to understand what they are saying and refute them accordingly."

You DISHONESTLY took the words "so that you can refute them" out of the full context and even bolded the words to boot.

My emphasis and goal is to be informed. Refuting comes easily after being informed.

BOOM, you're done!

If your action were punishable with imprisonment, you'd be behind bars right now. Hehe

Jorge
    Point is, the only reason you wish to be informed of others beliefs is not to objectively analyze them, but so that you can find some way to refute them. You're not looking for truth, you're simply looking to reinforce what you already believe. You're already in prison Jorge, imprisoned in your own mind!

Comment

Well, here's a clue -- that "science" is a predictable offshoot of Materialism which is a religious position, as I have been stating.
      You need to realize that you stating something doesn't make it accurate.
      "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
        I think the question is more Fundamentalist Creationism versus Science. Science as science is consistent regardless of religious belief. As far as the foundation of science atheist believe the same as scientists regardless of religious belief. The only difference is that atheists will make the philosophical naturalist assumption that God(s) do not exist.

Comment

I truly appreciate you keeping it civil but I'll stop here. After (figuratively) 'bashing my head against numerous walls' I finally learned and accepted some time ago that the desire to reject truth and remain ignorant is unconquerable.

Jorge
          As you wish, Jorge. Should you change your mind, you know where to find me. However, the desire to be selective about where I spend my time is not equivalent to "rejecting truth." And I am certainly not "rejecting truth" merely because I do not agree with your interpretation of "what is true."
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Point is, the only reason you wish to be informed of others beliefs is not to objectively analyze them, but so that you can find some way to refute them. You're not looking for truth, you're simply looking to reinforce what you already believe. You're already in prison Jorge, imprisoned in your own mind!
            Wrong! And even after I corrected you, you seem unable to accept the fact that you are wrong.

But listen, if you have anything that you think will cause me to rethink-change my mind then please post it. I will OBJECTIVELY consider it and then OBJECTIVELY let you know if you're on to something (or not).

My prediction: Either you will not post anything at all (because Materialism is totally bankrupt) OR what you do post will be the same Materialistic nonsense that has been posted umpteen-hundred times before.

But I'll keep an open mind until I see what you have. Go on ... I be waiting.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
              The same applies to you and everyone else, kiddo.
              Yet you seem to want to apply this to ME alone.
              Gee ... why do you think that is?

Thing is, I can defend my claim all the way to the Supreme Court because... well, because it's already been done! Thus, I stand on rock-solid facts, ruled points of law and the consensus of the highest academic researchers. You cannot say the same.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                As you wish, Jorge. Should you change your mind, you know where to find me. However, the desire to be selective about where I spend my time is not equivalent to "rejecting truth." And I am certainly not "rejecting truth" merely because I do not agree with your interpretation of "what is true."
                Yeah, right ...

Good night.

Jorge

Comment

Thing is, I can defend my claim all the way to the Supreme Court because... well, because it's already been done! Thus, I stand on rock-solid facts, ruled points of law and the consensus of the highest academic researchers. You cannot say the same.

Jorge
                  As a general rule most other posters tend to offer corroborating evidence to support their statements whereas you have a strong tendency to use your own assertions as verification for earlier unsupported claims.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    So, the reason that you read Dennett, Dawkins, Hitchens and the like is so that you can refute them,...
                    ...and quote mine them too.
                    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                      I have no idea what you think I am applying to you alone.

Jorge
                      As you wish, Jorge. I will leave you to your "rock-solid facts."
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        As a general rule most other posters tend to offer corroborating evidence to support their statements whereas you have a strong tendency to use your own assertions as verification for earlier unsupported claims.
                        Based on past interactions here, it seems that most people other than Jorge recognize that materialism (in the sense of a focus on natural causes) is an operational feature of science, but accepting scientific evidence doesn't require one to adopt a philosophical position that material causes are all that are possible. Hence the acceptance of science by people of nearly every faith.

I'm not sure why Jorge is gloating that his argument made it to the Supreme Court, given that (as advanced by COPE), ti was rejected on the state court level.

In any case, even if you leave science out, my point still stands: what we traditionally view as religion is a coherent set of beliefs, generally from a single collection of sources. Atheism it seems to me doesn't have that feature, though my understanding is that some forms of humanism do.
                        "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Yeah, right, so you keep saying.
                          I've called you, O-Mudd and others out on that claim numerous times.
                          I've pointed to the countless posts where I provided hard evidence and argued my position.
                          You just ignore everything and continue parroting your mantras.
                          That is the antithesis of intellectual discourse and honesty.

There is nothing that I nor anyone can do about such attitudes.

Jorge

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                            I have no idea what you think I am applying to you alone.

As you wish, Jorge. I will leave you to your "rock-solid facts."
                            HUH?

Are you well?

Did you even notice that my post was in response to a post by TheLurch, not yours?

Jorge

Comment

• Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                              HUH?

Are you well?

Did you even notice that my post was in response to a post by TheLurch, not yours?

Jorge
                              I am well, thanks for asking.

I did, however, pour through the thread quickly on my way out, and answered one too many posts...

... which would explain why I wasn't clear on what I was applying only to you.

My apologies.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                                Based on past interactions here, it seems that most people other than Jorge recognize that materialism (in the sense of a focus on natural causes) is an operational feature of science, but accepting scientific evidence doesn't require one to adopt a philosophical position that material causes are all that are possible. Hence the acceptance of science by people of nearly every faith.

I'm not sure why Jorge is gloating that his argument made it to the Supreme Court, given that (as advanced by COPE), ti was rejected on the state court level.

In any case, even if you leave science out, my point still stands: what we traditionally view as religion is a coherent set of beliefs, generally from a single collection of sources. Atheism it seems to me doesn't have that feature, though my understanding is that some forms of humanism do.
                                You don't seem to realize (or accept) that I (Jorge) am highly versed in these matters. I've been involved in this area in one way or another (philosophy, sciences, maths) for nearly 45 years. So when you say "most people here other than Jorge recognize ..." you are displaying rank ignorance or blind prejudice. You don't even use the terms entirely properly. There's Methodological Materialism (MN) and Ontological (or Philosophical) Materialism. The fact is that the former is the operational version of the latter. But it doesn't have to be that way. Proper science is "accepted by people of nearly every faith" because proper science is factual whereas "science" derived from MN has ideological/religious elements embedded into it.

As for "Jorge gloating that his argument made it to the Supreme Court" --- again, you'd do best to remain silent as you clearly don't know what you're talking about. Read the 115-page law review document by John Calvert that I had recommended -- that will get you up to speed.

Finally, your last statement is shallow. Just as there are many 'versions' of Christianity, there are also many versions of Atheism. That is why your statement does not disprove the fact that Atheism (in general) is a religion, as I have been stating.

Jorge

Comment