Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Paul: the thirteenth apostle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
    An apostle had to be an eyewitness of the resurrected Christ.
    That's what I thought. Paul wasn't an eyewitness, was he? He claims to have been blinded by a light, long after the fact, out which a voice spoke to him, but he obviously wasn't an eyewitness. I believe he also says somewhere in Acts, or perhaps Galations, that Satin comes in the form of an angel of light. How does anyone know that Paul isn't the very false prophet that Jesus warned would come.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      That's what I thought. Paul wasn't an eyewitness, was he? He claims to have been blinded by a light, long after the fact, out which a voice spoke to him, but he obviously wasn't an eyewitness.
      As OBP stated...

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Paul also recognized that he was something of an exception (1 Cor. 15:8), not having been appointed during Jesus' ministry.
      Jim, Paul is accepted by the Church as an apostle of Christ. Why is this a concern to you?

I believe he also says somewhere in Acts, or perhaps Galations, that Satin comes in the form of an angel of light.
      2 Corinthians.

How does anyone know that Paul isn't the very false prophet that Jesus warned would come.
      Because he preaches Christ crucified, buried and risen again.

2 Cor 4:1 Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;

2 But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

5 For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-26-2018, 08:25 AM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's what I thought. Paul wasn't an eyewitness, was he? He claims to have been blinded by a light, long after the fact, out which a voice spoke to him, but he obviously wasn't an eyewitness. I believe he also says somewhere in Acts, or perhaps Galations, that Satin comes in the form of an angel of light. How does anyone know that Paul isn't the very false prophet that Jesus warned would come.
        Jesus was seen by the Apostle Paul, Paul so stated to the Corinthian church, ". . . last of all He was seen of me. . . ." Also regarding Paul being blinded by that light, it was Jesus who appearing in the light to him, ". . . Ananias . . . putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee . . . ."
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

That's what I thought. Paul wasn't an eyewitness, was he? He claims to have been blinded by a light, long after the fact, out which a voice spoke to him, but he obviously wasn't an eyewitness.
          Paul never says that he saw only a light - and this occurred in the mid 30's AD, so not so long. It's also not the only vision he received of Jesus (Acts 18:9, and quite possibly rather more - Gal. 1:12).
          How does anyone know that Paul isn't the very false prophet that Jesus warned would come.
          It seems unlikely that a false prophet would scruple to make sure what he was doing was in line with what others were teaching (Gal. 2:2-9).

In addition to CP's quote, note that Acts backs that up:
          Source: Acts 26:22-23

22 Therefore, having obtained help from God, to this day I stand, witnessing both to small and great, saying no other things than those which the prophets and Moses said would come— 23 that the Christ would suffer, that He would be the first to rise from the dead, and would proclaim light to the Jewish people and to the Gentiles.”

© Copyright Original Source

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The only way Satin comes to you in the form of an angel of light is if you sew it up that way.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The only way Satin comes to you in the form of an angel of light is if you sew it up that way.

Satin sheets to lie on satin pillows to cry on, still I'm not happy don't you see

Read more: Tammy Wynette - Satin Sheets Lyrics | MetroLyrics
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He is very smooth and silky.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  Jesus was seen by the Apostle Paul, Paul so stated to the Corinthian church, ". . . last of all He was seen of me. . . ." Also regarding Paul being blinded by that light, it was Jesus who appearing in the light to him, ". . . Ananias . . . putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee . . . ."
                  And of course this is all according to Paul, and Paul alone, right?

Comment

2 Peter 3:15
                    Bear in mind that our Lord’s patience means salvation, just as our dear brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom that God gave him.

Comment

So the Knights in White Satin were angels?
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Only if that's how their white satin was sewn?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

No. Paul had other men with him. While they also saw the light but did not see Jesus or hear clearly what was spoken to Saul . They took blinded Saul to the other Christians per Saul's instructions.
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Did Paul write the book of Acts?
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                              As an aside, they never reached the end.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You've never actually read the Bible, have you? Only some bastardized version of it, right?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment