Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Duplicate email messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate email messages

I use Thunderbird as my email client. I've used it ever since migrating from Netscape.

A few days ago, I decided to tidy up my Inbox, do some archiving, etc. I noticed a lot of duplicate messages. I spent a while manually deleting them, but eventually realized that was insane. I found an "extension" for T'bird that automatically removes dupes. It removed over 15000! Somehow since then ANOTHER 1700 have appeared. It's not a huge hassle to just push the button and have the system remove them, but I'd like to know what's causing them and fix it (if it's an easy fix).

Any ideas?
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Are you popping mail? POP? The only time I've had that happen was when there was a server timeout.

The client begins downloading your mail, and particularly if there are large attachments, it takes time. The client doesn't send the handshake to the server to tell the server "I got them all" until the end of the POP. So, if your client is downloading a bunch of mail, and your connection gets interrupted, it doesn't send the "I got these" message, and the next time it connects, it starts all over.

I have used Tnderbird from WAY Back - and loved it. I also used "the Bat" - to which I changed after having problems with duplicate emails on Thunderbird.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Check to make sure it is not happening with your e-mail provider. I had duplicate spam. Just the spam. After I complained it got fixed. Also got rid of the spam.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Are you popping mail? POP?
        Ehh... Yeah... POP.verizon.net, from what I see in the Account Settings.

The only time I've had that happen was when there was a server timeout.
        The client begins downloading your mail, and particularly if there are large attachments, it takes time. The client doesn't send the handshake to the server to tell the server "I got them all" until the end of the POP. So, if your client is downloading a bunch of mail, and your connection gets interrupted, it doesn't send the "I got these" message, and the next time it connects, it starts all over.
        Hmm. I don't often get attachments of any kind. Maybe once a month or so, a friend of mine sends me pictures of her cat, or of projects she's working on around her house.

I have used Tnderbird from WAY Back - and loved it. I also used "the Bat" - to which I changed after having problems with duplicate emails on Thunderbird.
        Ok, I may have to check that out. I hate the idea of migrating, but it might be worth it.

I'm also trying to figure out what to do about all the dupes I already found. The "Remove Duplicates" extension was able to handle the 14000+ it found in my Inbox. But when I had it scan another much older folder, it found over 16000, and that paralyzed it. (I've apparently been getting bouts of duplicates for years and never noticed. It appears they often don't show up until days later, and I don't scroll down and notice. I guess that does suggest some communication SNAFU between T'bird and the Verizon server. I have T'bird set up to tell the server to delete messages after 30 days; I should probably use the Web interface at Verizon to verify that's happening.)
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          Check to make sure it is not happening with your e-mail provider. I had duplicate spam. Just the spam. After I complained it got fixed. Also got rid of the spam.
          I get dupes of everything. And I get very little spam -- basically about one spam message a week.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            Ehh... Yeah... POP.verizon.net, from what I see in the Account Settings.

Hmm. I don't often get attachments of any kind. Maybe once a month or so, a friend of mine sends me pictures of her cat, or of projects she's working on around her house.

Ok, I may have to check that out. I hate the idea of migrating, but it might be worth it.

I'm also trying to figure out what to do about all the dupes I already found. The "Remove Duplicates" extension was able to handle the 14000+ it found in my Inbox. But when I had it scan another much older folder, it found over 16000, and that paralyzed it. (I've apparently been getting bouts of duplicates for years and never noticed. It appears they often don't show up until days later, and I don't scroll down and notice. I guess that does suggest some communication SNAFU between T'bird and the Verizon server. I have T'bird set up to tell the server to delete messages after 30 days; I should probably use the Web interface at Verizon to verify that's happening.)
            If I remember correctly, there's an option in Thunderbird (haven't used it in ages) to increase the server session time. You might check that.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've done a little checking around, and it seems this problem is fairly common with DOCSIS modems, particularly from Comcast.

Comment

If I remember correctly, there's an option in Thunderbird (haven't used it in ages) to increase the server session time. You might check that.
                It's not anywhere I can find it.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  It's not anywhere I can find it.
                  Hmmmmm.... it's been so long since I've used T-bird.... sorry I couldn't be of help.

Comment

Hmmmmm.... it's been so long since I've used T-bird.... sorry I couldn't be of help.
                    No prob. A person at another site pointed me to a Mozilla page dealing with the topic. I'm trying the suggestions there. That doesn't get rid of the existing thousands of dupes, but it may at least prevent more -- for a while.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

It appears that *part* of my problem is that for some reason, at the beginning of this year, my POP server stopped deleting messages older than 45 days, even though I had T'bird set up to tell it to do so.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment