Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

I need help with a computer problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help with a computer problem.

For a couple of weeks now when I open a site on the Internet I get black boxes interfering with the text I'm trying to read. They are about 3" square and sometimes a black box will go from one end of the screen to the other and it is about 3 or 4" tall. They appear on all sites except FreeCell.

When I move the cursor up and down they bounce around.

I pushed the reset button and it didn't help.

Do you know what is wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks.

You say when you open an internet site. What browser are you using? Chrome? If so, first try deleting all browser history. If that doesn't work try turning on the Slimming Paint Phase2. See this article for more details.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/chrome...-boxes-windows
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      You say when you open an internet site. What browser are you using? Chrome? If so, first try deleting all browser history. If that doesn't work try turning on the Slimming Paint Phase2. See this article for more details.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/chrome...-boxes-windows
      Thanks. Nothing worked. Guess I am going to have to hire a computer geek or live with it.

Comment

Are you on a Windows machine? If so, your video driver may need reloading. Go to your computer manufacturer's web page and look for the drivers section. Most have executables that are easy to install.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
          Thanks. Nothing worked. Guess I am going to have to hire a computer geek or live with it.
          Does it happen when you use a different browser? Try, I.E., Edge or Firefox and see if you still have the issue. If so, then Bill's suggestion of a video driver may be the ticket.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Two things:

They might be ads trying to use Flash and your browser is blocking flash or you may have an ad blocker running and it is blocking some ads.

...one other possibility. If you are on a network that blocks certain sites (like at work) sometimes they will block unsecure sites and you might be visiting a site that is linking to ads or pictures hosted on unsecure sites. My work network does that and when I go to someeplace like IMDB half of the pictures and videos don't show up.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              Does it happen when you use a different browser? Try, I.E., Edge or Firefox and see if you still have the issue. If so, then Bill's suggestion of a video driver may be the ticket.
              Just tried it on Explorer and no black boxes showed up. :) but I don't want to change browsers at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                Are you on a Windows machine? If so, your video driver may need reloading. Go to your computer manufacturer's web page and look for the drivers section. Most have executables that are easy to install.
                OK, I'll try that.

One more question: A friend pushed a re-set button; would it be better to actually unplug the computer and re-plug it?

My friend said it wouldn't make any difference, but...

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                  OK, I'll try that.

One more question: A friend pushed a re-set button; would it be better to actually unplug the computer and re-plug it?

My friend said it wouldn't make any difference, but...
                  You could always try uninstalling and re-installing Chrome to see if that helps.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Since I had no luck trying to solve this problem, I changed browsers.

Comment

It's something in that browser then. Try turning off any extensions (under More Tools menu) and close and relaunch Chrome. If it works, turn them on one at a time to determine which one is causing the issue.

Comment